PDA

View Full Version : Consciousness is Healing

allanom
10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-18-2007/4031_consciousnesInProgress.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-18-2007/4031_consciousnessScale.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-18-2007/4031_abstract2.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Consciousness is Healing
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 32 inches diameter
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here's the note I posted bside this piece at my recent show:<br><br>"I came across the title as an expression in some material I was reading and loved it, and so decided to do a painting based on the concept. I couldn't figure to do it in realistic imagery, so opted for this kind of hard-edge abstract (harkens back to my art college days). <br><br>It's a kind of a yantra (a focusing design used in meditation), with the colour scheme based on the meaning of each colour and importance of the meanings (to me), starting from the centre and out, as well as the resonance and complementary relationships of the colours in sequence.<br><br>Colour meanings are: Yellow: joy; Indigo: contemplation; Orange: vitality/endurance; Green: life/nature; Purple: magic/mystery; Pink: love/beauty; Brown: earth/order; White: purity; Red: courage; Blue: spirituality/peace; Gold: wisdom; Gray: maturity; Black: stability."<br><br>I've included a pic of it on my easel, when just finished, with me in photo for scale. And also, a hard-edge abstract I did while at art college way back in 1970.<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

La_
10-18-2007, 11:58 PM
first one - nope
nope nop nope
can't look at it
makes me ill
sorry

second one
pretty cool
very graphic, simple, high contrast
doesn't make me ill

la

Slurps
10-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Nothing to this, sorry.

If the colors somehow have significance to the artist, and the picture needs a lengthy exegesis to offer meaning, it's going to be irrelevant to virtually everyone viewing it. Can't expect the note card to stay with the picture forever. Looks like almost every color in the spectrum has a positive connotation, so even a suggestion of tension or exposition is lacking.

At best, it's decoration.

billmahler
10-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Allan

This one gets a strong Yea vote from me.

I don't think you needed the explanation- it stands firmly on its own as a painting that evokes emotion in a new and refreshing way.

In fact, if I feel that I'm being told how to read a painting intellectually that diminishes my enjoyment of the work.

I often think of the last few lines from Archibald Macleish's Ars Poetica when looking at a painting or trying to do one:

"For all the history of grief
An empty doorway and a maple leaf

For love
The leaning grasses and two lights above the sea -

A poem should not mean
But be"

Candices_Creations
10-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I have to agree with Slurps on this one. All the spiritual explanations are lost because the people viewing this painting have no concept of what you're trying to convey. It's a great excercise for painting circles! I can't help but think back to your critique of an artist who does computer generated work..you asked if it truely belongs in the "fine art" forum. Now, I wonder the same about this piece, Allan. The circles do have a meaning for me though, what goes around, comes around? Just something to think about, perhaps.

allanom
10-19-2007, 05:04 PM
La, slurps: Sorry this doesn't work for you. Thanks for trying.

Bill: Thanks for the "yea". As for my decison to place a note beside the painting (I have had 25 one-man shows in my career and this was the first time), I will say that, in general I agree that a piece should stand on its own without explanation from its creator. However, in my recent show -- which was more complex than usual in message and content -- I decided to contextualize this one, plus the one of the Dalai Lama and Hitler, to assist the show attendees with their understanding of my intentions. And I was very gratified that pretty well all who viewed the works were generous in their feedback that the notes made the viewing experience richer and more meaningful.

Candice: "All the spiritual explanations are lost because the people viewing this painting have no concept of what you're trying to convey." I have to completely disagree with you on this -- see note to Bill above. And as for your comment that this piece may not belong on this forum relative to my challenge of the appropriateness of the posting of the (seeming) advertising/editorial layout: I will respond that the difference between illustration/ layouts and paintings has to do with intent: illustration has commercial intent; fine art has personal artistic expression as its basis.

Candices_Creations
10-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Allan...I disagree...all illustration does not have only "commercial intent". Let me ask you this: If a painting is done on a commission basis, and the artist is compensated, does that mean the painting is not fine art...all my commissions have "personal artistic expression".

allanom
10-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi Candice: What I mean by commercial intention is that, typically, there's an art director involved who asks the illustrator to come up with an image to "illustrate" on behalf of a story or a commercial product/service. So, the illustrator isn't creating an image that has only his pure "artistic" intentions as his reason for doing it, but must conform to the content/design required by the art director. (And compensation for the image is moot.) A painting, on the other hand -- even in the case of a "commission", typically has only to do with the artist's personal vision.

Candices_Creations
10-19-2007, 06:21 PM
HI Allan....well, isn't an illustration the artists personal vision, also?

allanom
10-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey Candice: If we can agree that an artist's vision has to do with the content/concepts/themes of his work, then, no, an illustration wouldn't, IMHO, be his/her "personal vision" -- because the content would be what the art director has "ordered" that he/she provide for him/her. For example: the art director may ask for an illustration of a car (for an ad) or a life situation (for a service, say, insurance). Now if your idea of artistic vision means the style/comp/colours of the image that the illustrator comes up with, then that's where we part. As a fine artist, my "vision" is, for example, the series of images that I came up with to get across my theme of 'Moments of Awakening'. Those images were my ideas/choices alone, without anyone else dictating what I would do. And the "style" of the work is totally my choice as well, but not my vision.

How's that?...:O))

Dhuot
10-19-2007, 10:10 PM
I LOVE the very slow movement taking birth in the center and slowly growing to the outboard
I love that "plarician" kind of work
Of course, for me, it has Claude Tousignant's signature, but I am enjoying these so much
:)

Candices_Creations
10-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Okay..Allan...I agree...lol...however, not all illustrators have their work so strictly dictated....correct....? Thanks for the discussion..I have learned a few things from you...lol...

allanom
10-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey Candice: Great that we've a..l..m..o..s..t come to a meeting of the minds. I enjoyed the discussion too!

Daniel: Great you found the slow movement mojo in it...:O)) And, of course! Claude Tousignant:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2007/4031-tousignant.jpg

And someone else mentioned Kenneth Noland:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2007/4031-noland.jpg