GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portraits from photos - Two more
Year Created: 1970
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9X12, 18X24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Do you know who the bearded fella is? This is from a photo that caught my eye. Clue.. it was taken shortly before he comitted suicide.<br>The Afghan boy is from a photo in National Geographic, taken while the Afghans were fighting Russia. I'm losing track of who was fighting whom when and over what.<br>I was attacted by the colors in his outfit. <br>Both were painted a long time ago.<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How do these work as portraits?<br>Is the boy too sentimental?<br>

QueenBArt
10-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Bill: I am going to say that is Mr. Hemingway?
I love both, your accuracy and attention to detail is very nicely handled. The Afghan boy is particuarly striking to me do to use of colors, and hints over the turmoil in his homeland by his expression. If I had to pick at one thing it's the fact that the boys right hand seems very large and adult like. Other then that well done.

Candices_Creations
10-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Bill , I would also guess Ernest Hemmingway. I like the first portrait the best. I just question the skin tone on his neck..a bit yellow. Very expressive eyes, well done. The right hand of the child, in the second portrait, looks too large to me,also. Thanks for sharing..Good work!

allanom
10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Really like the translation to evident brushwork. And you've caught very nice glowing light on the Hemingway. Wondering about contrast on them, though. If it isn't just the repro, these might look better if the darks were darker and the lights lighter.

kathrynlovespets
10-18-2007, 02:14 PM
they're great, they're old fashioned looking...

The second looks like it could be on the cover of a children's book or something...watch out for his hand behind the flowers...it has disappeared

Slurps
10-18-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree with Candice. I thought the kid was wearing a baseball glove.

billmahler
10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Those to those who admired them- thank you ... and Slurps, is it a Little League glove at least?

Yes, it is .. was ... Ernest Hemingway.

To those who pointed out the large hand, yes, I can see that. Many non-portrait pro's (especially me) have a tendency to paint hands and feet smaller than they should be and I must have overcompensated.

Kate.. they look old fashioned to you youngsters, but they're contemporary for me. (wink)

Allan, the digicam stole quite a bit of contrast from Hemingway, but the boy is pretty much as I painted him. Maybe he could have used more punch.

Can't change the little fella now tho. Sometime ago someone bought several of my paintings, including this one, to decorate a bar in Eastern Long Island and as far as I know he's still watching the Gin and Tonics flow and making people wonder what Little League team he played for with that glove and crazy outfit.