PDA

View Full Version : Motel Pool: Grace and Panic

allanom
10-17-2007, 08:44 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-17-2007/4031_motelPool_0017.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Motel Pool: Grace and Panic
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 inches x 16 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I had simply named this 'Motel Pool', when someone suggested it gave them feelings of grace and panic.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

ejtupi
10-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Great fun trying to figure out the perspective on this one.... I gave up and just decided to enjoy the picture. I love Edward Hopper's work, and this really feels like you channeled him.
The picture is, of course, completely illogical. That's probably what's making this so involving. A 10-meter platform at a motel, rooms that look like storage units, a woman realizing that they actually did build the platform that close to the edge of the pool as she hurtles toward the concrete (or is she only now noticing that there's no water?).
This really looks like no motel I'd stay at, like it's something in the kind of dream you get when you have the flu.
Only thing I'd change would be to put in some suggestion that she was shoved from the platform...maybe a vague shadow up there or something.

Quite creepy. I have no idea where someone saw grace in it. I like it.

Joe Steiner
10-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Great composition, and great coloration. I wouldn't have noticed any discrepancies in logic . Great painting

Corby
10-17-2007, 02:49 PM
extremely unnerving! She will hang there forever in space it seems...awaiting the impact. Very well painted.

Candices_Creations
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Odd perspective, indeed....gives me the chills..where's the grace? lol very strange but, painted relatively well.

tbezesky
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Unnerving is exactly how I feel, I feel like I want to turn my head cause she might miss the water.

allanom
10-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, all, for the kind and interesting feedback. I confess that I am as mystified as you all seem to be about this image. It just happened and I have never got a sense of why or what it's really about -- and that's what I like about it too!

As a psycbotherapist, I work with a set of cards I've come up with of 400 or so random images from which clients randomly select three -- and with which we work to draw out/answer emotional issues -- and this image is one of 9 from my recent show that I have made into cards and added to the collection.

Allan

Dhuot
10-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, so so cool.
Reminds me of some works by Eric Zener
I love the tilted view
:)

birdhs
10-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I feel if I was lucky enough to own this, it would be noticed every day, and a great conversation piece. Isn't that the description of great art? It pleaseth thine eyes

allanom
10-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Daniel & birdhs: Thanks for the words of appreciation! (I'll look up Zener).