PDA

View Full Version : Above Apsley Falls

tonyl
10-17-2007, 01:05 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-17-2007/79469_above_apsley_falls.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Above Apsley Falls
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 10 x 14 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Its a while since I posted anything and I would like some constructive criticism of this scene. It was started plein air and finished with the use of photos. The paper was gessoed before painting amd the acrylic was applied as washes.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
CC please

Slurps
10-17-2007, 01:11 AM
The water is excellently portrayed. The creatures are mystifying, particularly the gray one in the back left. I don't know if you bumped up the contrast on the photo or if those are actually little white dots and highlights around the edges of stuff...if those are highlights, that's pretty wild. The vegetation in the midground really has a watercolor look to it. I like the composition, but I'm debating whether that foreground tree is more of an obstruction, although it gives an enormous depth to the picture. The colors are fantastic, but that big tree is coming across in the photo as being a bit on the pink side. Overall, really nice. If you work on the animals just a bit, I think this picture has huge potential.

sabine2
10-17-2007, 04:27 AM
nice in a naive style - refreshing colours!+ I like the composition, filling all the space

tonyl
10-17-2007, 05:30 AM
The picture was very poor and I must apologise - this is a better one I think.

Agree about the beasts in general but do not know which one is 'grey'. We have Eucalypts that are pink (and beige and blue and white as well as the conventional brown) They loose their rough bark each year but keep their leaves. I am using watercolor techniques with my acrylics so at least that worked

Thank you

tonyl
10-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Hopefully the picture will upload this time

LGHumphrey
10-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Doesn't look naive to me. Lovely composition and great colour and contrast.

Candices_Creations
10-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Tony....I think you painted the water very well...the tree in the foreground is coming across, on my screen..on the pinkish side...other than that...I think it's a very good painting..nothing "naive" about it...thanks for sharing !

Corby
10-17-2007, 03:23 PM
This has the nicest woodlands feel to it. I think the tree is actually the important factor here. We have the Eucalyptus here in California as well and what Tony says of color is true. They are a gorgeous tree, sometimes their trunks look like living flesh. The animals are no problem...two cows and a horse... Anyway, for me here, the trees THE thing:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2007/70790-falls.jpg

D.W. Flint
10-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I personally like that single tree on the left. My eye bounced off it right to the animals which I take to be the focal point. Wonderful colors and a very pleasant painting to look at for a long time. Would like to see more of yours.:thumbsup:

tonyl
10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I am going to see if I can make the beasts more believable and post the results on this thread in a few days.

Tony