PDA

View Full Version : Whisper Lake

coeur d alene
10-15-2007, 11:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-15-2007/119389_whisper_lake.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Whisper Lake
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10x20in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Not sure the frame is adequate.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Would you say the contrast is just a bit off in this. And is it too busy.

toraman
10-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Very good painting, I can breathe the fresh air. The mountain is very good. There is one criticism I can make that the threes leaves at the front are made with too simple brush strokes, that they appear as just strokes not leaves to me. But maybe thats just me.

thomas w
10-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Spectacular! I wish I could see it better, it seems a bit to dark. It has an oriental composition with an american execution. Great.
Thomas W

Corby
10-16-2007, 03:00 PM
This is a lovely thing...it is a beautiful example of referencing Bob Ross techniques but not doing obeisance to them. I myself implement some of his approaches. I think that is what Toraman spotted in the larger trees, is the use of the fan brush, letting its mark alone make the whole statement. This is the problem with Bob Ross techniques for those of lesser abilities...the brush becomes a stencil.. That does not in general apply here. The color in this is so wonderful and the composition as well. The framing in my view is perfect.

allanom
10-16-2007, 04:23 PM
The framing in my view is perfect.

I agree -- even though one thing I notice is that folks often -- and inappropriately, IMHO -- put these kind of dark frames on their paintings to the detriment of them.

With your indulgence, I cropped this piece (so it isn't so overwhelmed by the darkness around it) and lightened it slightly and am posting it here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2007/4031-whisper_lake.jpg

Candices_Creations
10-16-2007, 05:28 PM
This is a wonderful painting ! Great composition...and I can see Bob Ross painting this scene, too. The image was underexposed but, with the correction the foreground can be seen much better...hope to see more of your work, soon!

Candices_Creations
10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
This is a wonderful painting ! Great composition...and I can see Bob Ross painting this scene, too. The image was underexposed but, with the correction the foreground can be seen much better...hope to see more of your work, soon!

D.W. Flint
10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
A very beautiful painting. I think the frame is fine and I especially like the unusual 20X10 format.:thumbsup:

coeur d alene
10-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Sorry about the quality of the photo. Thank you all for your unrestricted input. I cherish objectivity, since my eyes are blinded by bias. Yes, Bob Ross was a huge influence for me, I've only been painting since Jan. 2006 and many others have crossed my path in my quest to digest all techniques I can and apply everything that sticks to my ribs. To capture a little bit of something from those artists I admire most is ultimate goal for me. I love this world of creativity and especially those like you that give so freely to us greenhorns. Check out my website at www.thrushfineart.com if you like. I would appreciate more advise from any of you. My work is riddled with experiment for now but am whiddling it down to a technique of my own.

Slurps
10-16-2007, 11:02 PM
I love the fact that you don't deny the Bob Ross influence. The man probably convinced more people that they could express themselves through art than anyone I can think of. I really don't give a hoot what anyone thought about the style of painting; the man truly found joy in art and conveyed that to thousands and thousands of people.

Good for you. You're doing beautiful, visually arresting work. There are tons of people out there who will find pleasure in your art, as I'm sure you do yourself. Tremendous. I'm happy you posted here and hope you'll continue to share.