PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Warping Issue - HELP!

C_Line
10-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Okay, this has happened once before, but now with this my largest canvas - 36 x 48" I notice that it doesn't hang flat - lower right corner pops out. When I selected it it didn't appear warped - I'm thinking with applying the layers of watery paint it's pulled the canvas taut...yes? I'm trying spraying the back with water to hopefully pull it back. Someone suggested putting a metal L-bracket on the corner or triangle - I cannot see how that would help - any ideas/tips?

Linee
10-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm curious to hear some responses to this.

howyadoin
10-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Okay, this has happened once before, but now with this my largest canvas - 36 x 48" I notice that it doesn't hang flat - lower right corner pops out. When I selected it it didn't appear warped - I'm thinking with applying the layers of watery paint it's pulled the canvas taut...yes? I'm trying spraying the back with water to hopefully pull it back. Someone suggested putting a metal L-bracket on the corner or triangle - I cannot see how that would help - any ideas/tips?Just thinkin' out loud, but what about applying a coat of gesso to the back of the canvas?

jeff m
10-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Someone suggested putting a metal L-bracket on the corner or triangle - I cannot see how that would help - any ideas/tips?

If you put on while correcting it it may. Do all four corners.

Stringer or stretcher ? wedges ?
Gallery wrap I expect.

Frame making clamps would pull it back square, inject glue into corners and let it set overnight. You may have to repaint edges.

C_Line
10-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Yes, it's gallery wrapped, but only 3/4" thick -- not that that matters, thicker ones warp too. Stretcher, has corner wooden strips from corner to corner bracing the stretcher bars. Framing clamps...not familiar with those, I'll investigate, thanks!

I'm actually now thinking about having a floating frame made for it...that can be screwed to the back of the stretcher bars - it'll be straight for sure then!

jeff m
10-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Framing clamps...not familiar with those, I'll investigate, thanks! QUOTE

These little guys......

C_Line
10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks Jeff.

dreamz
10-15-2007, 11:14 PM
celeste, ask the guys in studio tips, theres a couple of experts there, take pics of the back to show what you have

Wojdo
10-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Try prying out one side of staples or at least a few then lay the canvas flat over night then just pull and staple back by hand.
This should do it good luck.

Applying water or gesso could make it worse

timelady
10-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Oh, so sorry to hear! I have had this problem with a certain brand of canvases and I also didn't notice it when I got them (it didn't help that my studio walls weren't straight ;)). In my case, both times, the wooden stretcher bars were actually warped so there was nothing I could do but remove the painting and restretch it. :( If it's just one of the bars then you could just unstaple one side and try to replace just that bar, but generally I'd say restretching the whole thing is safer to get an even canvas.

You might try actually making it less taught, which will just pull any warped stretcher more. Take out tightening triangles perhaps.

Tina.

C_Line
10-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Good suggestions everyone. Actually, I applied some water to the back of the canvas/edge, laid it face down on a nice clean tarp and put a stack of books on the back of the corner overnight. It's helped. I will ask the question in studio tips when I get a chance Doc, thanks.

C_Line
10-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Okay, you're not going to believe this, and I am NOT a tool person (other than brushes, etc.) but I bought my first miter box/saw kit today, some 1 x 2 x 8' nice straight pieces of wood (actually probably more like .75 x 1.75" x 8' and made a 3' x 4' frame which I'll adhere the semi-warped canvas too with L-brackets so that it will be nice and straight and subtly framed! Looks really cool and I can't believe I did it myself. I'll paint the frame black prior to assembling. Now it sits nice and straight against the wall. Will let you know how it turns out in the end.

Linee
10-17-2007, 08:39 AM
This is good to hear Celeste. I'll have to consider doing that for one of my paintings.

Paulafv
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Congratulations, Celeste. Next thing we'll hear you've been building and framing all your art by yourself. Those miter saws are great.