PDA

View Full Version : varnish?

scorpio32
06-02-2002, 02:02 PM
how many of you varnish acrylic ? & how do you know the right ratio to use?

Einion
06-03-2002, 12:00 AM
I usually varnish my pictures unless they are painted on paper or I intend them to be frames behind glass. What do you mean by ratio?

Einion

scorpio32
06-03-2002, 02:39 AM
i meant how diluted should the varnish be (with water) what about the spray can varnishes,are those reliable?

snuffy
06-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Scorpio -
I have had good results so far with Golden MSA varnish with UVLS. this is thick and I usually rinse my brush in water, blot on a paper towel, dip into the varnish and brush it on,then rinse and brush again, so there isn't much dilution involved. Golden has a caution on their label that some colors may appear darker with the varnish, but so far I haven't had a problem. Originally, I used this on painted wood carvings that were going to be displayed and handled at shows. Acrylic paint has the bad habit of finger marking easily from handling. Wiping the carving with a damp cloth keeps it from having a dark spot from skin oil. I now use it for uv protection for art on canvas or board. Very soon now, I am going to spray the varnish on with an airbrush and I will be diluting it with either water or airbrush medium. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ikre8t
06-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Working in the field of mural etc......a well extablished company and then on my own, we used to clearcoat Canvas Murals, wall, furniture..with a waterbased varnish: flecto Diamond Coat. This varnish will not yellow, and has stood up well. A 60ft. canvas mural still hanging in Hong Kong that still looks great. I have now begun to clearcoat my paintings with this varnish also.

Im not going to swear by it, but as of now I can't see the difference between what I have boughten in the art supply stores pint size, as opposed to purchasing this in the paint stores in qut. and gallon size......and much cheaper. It smells the same and goes on the same.
Maybe this is sacrilegious for fine art.......if any KNOW of reasons why not, please post.
Another alternative. I don't dilute.

Chao.

terrygar
06-03-2002, 01:10 PM
scorpio32, I use varnish by golden to fix the colors and shine!

surreal
06-03-2002, 06:06 PM
I use spray varnish.
surreal

Keith Russell
06-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Greetings:

Krylon Crystal Clear, 3 coats.

Keith.

LDianeJohnson
06-03-2002, 07:28 PM
scorpio32

I generally use the varnish full-strength using a dry, wide, inexpensive foam brush which it leaves no streaks. I pour what I need onto the painting surface, spread around quickly then pull the one-direction strokes, careful not to overbrush ro overstroke which can cause a milky appearance and bubbles to form. First, one coat in one direction, then allow to dry; then a second coat in the opposite direction.

You can dilute the varnish if you wish, but only enough to minimize drag, otherwise you'll break the varnish properties too much.

Hope this helps!

Diane

scorpio32
06-04-2002, 01:51 AM
wow! thanks for all the responses.i will try them all to see which works best for me--thanks again

timelady
06-04-2002, 06:27 AM
I varnish my very large paintings. Can't remember the brand but it's a varnish for oils and acrylics that you thin with mineral spirits and is the kind that converators can remove later if needed. The instructions for thinning are on the can. I do a thin coat in each direction. :) Oh, and I found that buying a good varnishing brush really helped, but this is for large pieces (about 120cm square) so it's a large brush. My stuff also has the warning about darkening colours, but I haven't noticed it happening even though I was very worried about it.

Tina.