PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see from North Light?

gingerjane
10-15-2007, 02:13 PM
:wave:

Here is where you can voice to me what you would like to see from us, North Light Books. Not book content but website content here on Wet Canvas. Go ahead - I'm listening. I want to make sure that your experience with North Light is a positive one - we are looking forward to providing excellent instruction, fun topics, etc., for you.

So - tell me - what are some things on your wish list?

Would you like to see some instructional videos, contests, sneak peeks of upcoming books, etc? Author chats? Let me know!

Thanks again for the warm welcome and as I have said before, I am really excited to be a member of Wet Canvas and the artist in me LOVES what I see!

Ginger

Jonas Calhoun
10-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Many times when I've bought a book on-line, I'll get dissapointed with my purchase because only 10% (or less) is useful to me--not at all what I wanted to see in the book. That happens a lot with the Walter Foster books--so much that I won't buy one anymore.

So tables of contents, maybe a sample chapter or two of your books?

Dan

idahogirl
10-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Ginger,

I would like to see more emphasis on contemporary and abstract art.... techniques.... interviews with authors... demo's etc.

Dee

gingerjane
10-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Many times when I've bought a book on-line, I'll get dissapointed with my purchase because only 10% (or less) is useful to me--not at all what I wanted to see in the book. That happens a lot with the Walter Foster books--so much that I won't buy one anymore.

So tables of contents, maybe a sample chapter or two of your books?

Dan

Thanks for your response Dan! That is SUCH a big one! :thumbsup:

What we are looking to do is offer an "inside peek" of our books so that you can browse through the book before committing to a purchase. I completely understand where you are coming from - I like to flip through a book before purchasing but it's hard when it's online.

We will definitely be offering some inside peeks, projects and maybe a limited table of contents so that you can see what's inside and see if it meets your needs.

Once again - thank you SO much for your response. I will be following-up with some information on this shortly along with possibly some links where you can view the interiors of some of our titles. :)

Plus - since I'm here you can always ask me directly if you are interested in a specific title. I can try to get some information for you.

Ginger

gingerjane
10-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Ginger,

I would like to see more emphasis on contemporary and abstract art.... techniques.... interviews with authors... demo's etc.

Dee

Hi Dee! :wave:

I am actually working to get some author interviews and chats set up. We are also looking to have some video demos available for you to use. I know that there are a few contemporary titles available (Acrylic Revolution for one) and I'll see if I can get you a sample project from the book.

I agree - I really love contemporary art. I think that our editorial team is doing a great job of trying to secure some authors for this type of fine art. I'm sure that there are going to be some great titles coming out in the next year. :D

In the meantime, let's see if we can get some samples for you!

Ginger

Young_Artist
10-18-2007, 10:36 PM
I personally am new to Acrylic painting so i think some instructional videos would be nice as you mentioned, and i love projects because it contains a selected subject and you get to see everyones techniques and ideas about the subject, but a contest would be even more fun, maybe even with a prize!?

gingerjane
10-22-2007, 08:26 AM
I personally am new to Acrylic painting so i think some instructional videos would be nice as you mentioned, and i love projects because it contains a selected subject and you get to see everyones techniques and ideas about the subject, but a contest would be even more fun, maybe even with a prize!?

Jordan - that is SO awesome that you are getting involved with art at such a young age. Are you familiar with our Impact line? It's very neat - lots of contemporary drawing, comic art, etc.

I will also be running contests, so stay tuned! (With prizes, of course!) :)

Lady Carol
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I'd like to hear the author interviews and chats. Glad to hear it is on the agenda.

irene ann
10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
hi i too purshasd books over the net and each time i do it i get very disapointed that they are not what they seem irene ann

gingerjane
10-23-2007, 10:31 AM
hi i too purshasd books over the net and each time i do it i get very disapointed that they are not what they seem irene ann

Hi Irene,

Have you seen the thread that has "inside peeks" of some of our titles. We are really hoping that those help artists judge the content for their specific needs before buying. (To avoid that disappointment) :)

If you ever have a question about one of our titles, please let me know and I will try to answer it for you.

Einion
11-06-2007, 03:04 AM
Hi Ginger, great to be able to give feedback directly like this http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/3842-thumbsup.gif

Purely from a selfish point of view I'd like to see more books featuring realist painters working in acrylics (whether as part of a title that features artists working in various media or one dedicated to the acrylic enthusiast, although the latter would be preferable IMO for lovers of acrylics).

On a more general front, with how-to books I know I'm not the only one that sometimes feels that there's often a little too much left out of the text in step-by-steps. Obviously the photographs have to focus on major stages but the main text should fill in the blanks or it leaves the reader going, "Yeah, but what did they do between B and C?" :) I realise there's a balance to be struck between too much information (boring to read for most people) and too little (doesn't tell you enough) but I think there's more value to be had from a book that errs on the side of more info rather than too little - the reader can always skim a lot of wording but with brief descriptions what you see is all that's there!

Einion

gingerjane
11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
We are definitely working on more acrylic books! Be on the lookout for those! :)

I will also pass along the step-by-step information to our editorial staff. I know they really strive to get a complete demo but I will make it "top of mind". :)

November Sky
11-06-2007, 11:44 AM
The coil bound books are fantastic. The combination of the usefulness of that and the ability to browse the book online are the best way to see if a book matches my needs.

I second the better support for realism in acrylics....

kadon
11-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Chats and demos is what I would like.

Jonas Calhoun
11-11-2007, 10:21 AM
I'll second (or third) the coil bound--especially on the 'how-to' books, since you can lay them flat while you are working.

Dan

gingerjane
11-12-2007, 10:06 AM
We are doing more coil books. In publishing terms they're called "Concealed Wire-O". LOL! That way, you can lay them flat. I always recommend those and I know our editors are proposing the books with that format - especially those that are more "tutorial".

Although, that format costs more to produce, which is why some titles are in paperback - for affordability. :)

bluefish
11-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Ginger

there is a lot of interest in the new fad - 'Pan Pastels' - but no books on the subject - maybe a comprehensive book describing the medium, tools available and paintings in progress would appeal to a diverse audience.

another comprehensive book on 'Oil Pastels' would be enlightening! especially one dealing with framing methods!

'bluefish':wave:

Rose Queen
11-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Reprint Confessions of a Starving Artist: Art and Life of Harley Brown by Harley Brown. Do you realize this out-of-print Northlight book is selling on the used book market for around $400 a copy?!? Oh, and Harley's a member of WetCanvas, of course...

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

bluefish
11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Ginger

when acrylics first came out, Grumbacher was a leader in their introduction ( early 1960's) and they introducted a monthly pamplet entitled "Pallet Talk" - helpful hints on the use of Hypar acrylics - it was a godsend for the painters utilizing the 'new' medium! We all looked forward to each new issue and what was happening with this new product. Maybe a monthly WC mag dealing with one of your new books would be well received by fellow artist - been working with acrylics for over 40 years and everyday I learn something new!

what was nice about acrylics was the fact that you could produce a 'oil' type painting as well as a water color type painting with the same material - they now have fluid acrylics which we didn't have originally but the conventional tubes worked fine! There was a time that 'Impasto' paintings were a rage but like the 'hoola- hoop' they declined in popularity - but a book dealing with 'Impasto Technique' may prove a big seller - what goes around, comes around! Just some ideas for you - thanks for reading - 'bluefish' :wave:

Shari
11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I am definitely interested in mixed media layerist techniques. I dream of writing that book myself as I have taught classes in this technique and have many techniques to share. I am always interested in what abstract, non representational artists are doing.

makinart
11-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi Rose Queen,
You have such life and spirit within you; an inspiration.
Oh, yes, I would love to see my "Confessions" book brought back out. Even in paperback form. All my friends and family got my copies. Now, more friends and family are appearing, waiting for their books. (chuckle.)
Between you and me, that was a book where I got a lot off my mind. It was a joy in one way and therapeudic another way. Way back in art college days, I loved to write down thoughts that crept through my mind. Even totally insignificant thoughts. For some reason that process seemed to give me a lift. I did so much of it that I destroyed it all. Getting rid of the reams of writing was itself a release. Odd how our minds work. We'll probably never really understand it. cheers, Harley

Rose Queen
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi Rose Queen,
You have such life and spirit within you; an inspiration.
Oh, yes, I would love to see my "Confessions" book brought back out. Even in paperback form. All my friends and family got my copies. Now, more friends and family are appearing, waiting for their books. (chuckle.)
Between you and me, that was a book where I got a lot off my mind. It was a joy in one way and therapeutic another way. Way back in art college days, I loved to write down thoughts that crept through my mind. Even totally insignificant thoughts. For some reason that process seemed to give me a lift. I did so much of it that I destroyed it all. Getting rid of the reams of writing was itself a release. Odd how our minds work. We'll probably never really understand it. cheers, Harley
Y'know, Harley, this is a major tenet of The Artist's Way program -- you write and write and write; the crap falls away; you are discouraged from going back and reading what you write. I certainly found it works and I'm not surprised it was so therapeutic for you!

Now I come to think of it, however, Northlight would do well to buy the rights to and republish your "Essential Truths" book, as well, since you can hardly buy a copy of that for love nor money, either! :cat:

makinart
11-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi again Rose Queen,
You're right how things can 'fall away,' when writing reams of words. This happened to me nearly half a century ago, (!) and I remember how it seemed to lift me up. I also made it a point never to read what I had written. That seemed natural; as well as destroying it all immediately. Many years later, I did workshops where I'd have the students paint or draw a model for a short session. The idea in this particular case, was that no one was to look at any other artist's work. I kept my head down looking at the floor as the artists flayed away with their pieces. At the end, no matter how each felt about their work, they had to destroy it. The idea here is that their drawing or painting was strictly for themselves, right from the core. They knew that no one would look and analyze what they had done. Only themselves. If they figured they might keep the work, it might alter their approach, which I wanted to be relatively "pure." It was a moment of strict self indulgence. Much like the rabid writing. Thanks for your thoughts, Rose Queen. Harley

Alison2
01-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Reprint Confessions of a Starving Artist: Art and Life of Harley Brown by Harley Brown. Do you realize this out-of-print Northlight book is selling on the used book market for around $400 a copy?!? Oh, and Harley's a member of WetCanvas, of course...

I'll join the clamour for a reprint of this - I've got essential truths and Harley's newest book and love them. Harley, you give so muchj - thank you!

I'd also ask for more books on pastel portraiture and realism in acrylics!

I agree with the person who said about the steps between b and c in a demo, sometimes it's a mighty big leap!

Thanks for asking for our views, we appreciate it!

Alison:wave:

makinart
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Alison,
Thinking back to the 50s and 60s, there were good and even classic art books. Many have been reprinted for today. Just glancing through the present art publication market, I'm amazed at how many are out there; and by some wonderfully talented artists. With those books and workshops and the earth shattering, mind boggling computer, artists have a very good shot at reaching dreams.
So many people out there are buying all different "schools" and styles of art. Whether we're selling artwork or not, we all have good days and not so good days. Our hope is to make the good ones happen more often.
I have a great feeling about this year in the art world. Here's the best to all of you; hold on to that positive spirit. Harley

Sonni
01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
With an off-painting week (hey, stuff happens), I've been roaming around WC, outside my normal channels, figurative an plein air forums. I see my friend and figure painting mentor, Harley Brown, has posted. A good thing. His book, Eternal Truths...., which is getting dog-eared and messed up with pastels in my tiny studio, is out of print. I've had three artist friends wanting it only to find it selling used for over $80 at Amazon.com. :eek: :eek: What does it take to get a publication like this back in circulation?

That said, at one time I did join NLB only to be disappointed in their offerings. I'm a pastel and sometimes oil artist--or at least I'm working at it.:) It seemed to me that NLB offered a top heavy collection of watercolor books, and after Margot S's , Design and Comp.. , McMurry's Mastering Color, and Pure Color, The Best of Pastel (which is georgeous!), I couldn't find much more to push me, as an artist, into another sphere. And, I guess, that's what I'm looking for.

As a result, I went to Amazon.com and ordered Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting, Kruetz's Problem Solving for Oil Painters; and Hawthorne on Painting. (I already have Handell, Mowry, and McDaniel books--as well as Art and Visual Perception from years ago.) All of these would be good books :thumbsup: to carry, along with The Art Spirit, if you don't already.

Sorry about going on so, but I figured you might want an honest reply from a serious artist, who will soak up anything she thinks may help her paint better.

gingerjane
01-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Wow Harley! I think you probably need to talk to your publisher about reprinting your title! You have a LOT of fans out there! :)

I have been passing on everyone's suggestions to our editorial staff. I know they are working hard to provide you with the content you're looking for in the mediums that you prefer.

As for our book club, I know that they have been working hard to provide the best titles they can to their members. Sonni - when were you last a member? They might have changed just a bit?

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. I promise, North Light is listening! :)

makinart
01-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Sonni and Ginger,
Glad you got some useful things out of the Eternal Truths book. North Light is no longer involved with it. And in fact, it is entirely now in the hands of International Artist magazine. Although I chat with them, I don't bring up the idea of re-publishing the book as I'm just one buyer. It's a matter that if they get enough response from their readers, they just might have another run with it. If Wetcanvas is any example, IA must be getting some feedback.
I sometimes go through the book myself just for reminders and nudges. It is much like the workshops I used to do; with all the spirited questioning and thought provoking "give and takes," it keeps the instructor's mind in full gear. Here's to you and a great year coming, Harley