PDA

View Full Version : Forged Money Orders

Dave Carter
06-02-2002, 12:26 PM
There was a story in the news about a guy running a large scale E-bay scam using FORGED MONEY ORDERS to buy goods on E-bay!!:confused:
BUMMER!!!!!!! I will make sure that I take M.O.'s to the bank BEFORE I ship anything, just as I would for personal checks.

CarlyHardy
06-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the heads-up with that! I always take my MO's to be deposited right away! Since so many of my buyers are repeats...I trust folks a lot!
carly

tammy
06-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Always deposit mine too, but that is still awful thing for someone to do.

Laura Brito
06-13-2002, 01:11 AM
Remember even though you get them accepted by the bank doesn't mean you are safe, it can take up to 3 weeks for them to come back if forged.

On another note, you can stop payment on a money order as well, it has happened to me. There is no real safe way except cash unfortunately.

Laura

surreal
06-13-2002, 10:02 AM
That's quite a horrifying story!
It never occurred to me that a money order would be forged.
Thanks for posting the news story.

surreal

DanaT
06-13-2002, 10:26 AM
A certified check may be the answer. One firm I dealt with required this type of payment. This way, the bank insures the check when the person writes it so if it is forged, they'll find out long before you get it.

Dave Carter
06-13-2002, 10:47 AM
Hmmmm...I think I'll stop accepting M.O.s as a form of payment, using cashiers checks instead!:confused:

Laura Brito
06-13-2002, 01:37 PM
What happened to me was very strange, I don't worry about it because most people are honest and really with all the business I have done on the internet I haven't ran into many deadbeats.

The Money Order I got was from Western Union, they stopped payment on it right after it was sent to me, I shipped the item and the bank sent the check back to me in about 2 weeks. It really upset me because I thought it was a done deal with a Money Order. Well the person gave me some story like, they were robbed and were not sure they had sent me the check, blah blah blah, it just didn't make sense to me at all. It took another month and a threat of negative feedback to get them to finally pay me.

I do not know if certified checks are safe, what about bank checks which bank of america like to push you into getting, money orders can be stopped, so I am really not sure there either. Shoot anything really can be stopped, especially credit card payments, online ones are even worst because instead of you proving you shipped to the merchant, you have to prove to paypal for example who then in turn has to prove your case (to whoever is the real merchant for your credit card processing or whoever they use). It is getting hairy and often we are more vunerable than we realize. I didn't think to much about it until this thread caught my eye.

I have had people give me checks personally who did not have the funds, and you cannot tell who they are by looking at them, one was a colledge professor who bounced a 2200.00 dollar check to me, I never recovered it all, he still owes me 400 of it...it was a hard road to travel since I needed that money and after 3 weeks I figured it was safe to use it,

So it is tricky, be careful! Cash is always best...(peple even mail in cash to me from time to time.)

Laura

TPS
06-13-2002, 03:20 PM
Cashiers checks and money orders are now widely forged due to the ease of producing them with computers. Your wisest course of action is to only accept credit cards. Even credit card charges can be reversed, but you can at least contest that with the cc provider.

sandge
06-13-2002, 04:55 PM
I wonder how widespread this is. Surely one has to balance the risk against not making it too difficult for honest folks to pay?

Laura Brito
06-13-2002, 06:38 PM
I am really not to worried about it, I haven't been really taken yet except for the college professor, other than that everyone has been nice and honest. If they are not I usually am able to catch them before I ship. Which reminds me of another time...

I sold a guitar for my son. I got a good price for it, and I noticed this person was buying tons of them, I emailed some of the other sellers just to check out how payment was coming along. I had received the check and was waiting for it to clear, when the bank calls me and lets me know the check was no good. By then I started getting threatening emails from him telling me to ship or I would get a negative feedback. I wrote him and told him about the check, he told me to ^%$# off. By then I was pretty mad and I knew I was out fees because back then ebay didn't refund anything. So I decided to call his work since that was where he was wanting these things to be shipped, I asked to talk to the manager, and (after getting tons of emails from teenagers and parents about this guy stealing their guitars through ebay) told his boss what was going on and that he was using this fancy hotel in Chicago for the mailing address, it was the hilton or something like that, once his boss knew that he was using work as the address he started having the guitars returned, talked to the guy. Well then the guy started calling me on the phone yelling at me and threatening me, I called the police and let them hear some of his stuff. The guy started telling me he had friends in the police dept, and that he would have me arrested, that it was against the law to call his work, etc....Well I turned around and told him he was a thief and that the police didn't take kindly to thiefs, and which was worst, me calling his boss or him selling from kids? That stopped it all, a few kids never got their guitars back, but at least I helped some of them get it back by his boss being informed and returning them. It was horrible, a very bad experience.

Just be cautious, don't ship to fast, check out feedback, look at what people are buying and how much. These types of things usually work out well, ship insured, or delivery confirmation for paypal and billpoint payments. All of these things are easy to stop doing but you must keep up these types of things or you will be a victim at some time.

Hope this helps
Laura

jocelynsart
06-13-2002, 07:18 PM
Hi: I was looking around and saw this post. Yes, money orders, cert. checks, any item liek that can be forged. I work in Canada p-time for a bank and we get rapid warnings all the time about such items. It basically comes down to instinct and knowing your client, even on eBay. Liek was said above, suspicious activity can be a clue. I have had only 2 bad experiences, once with a personal check that came back 1 month later nsf and one person whom I sent cash to who kept making excuses why the item had not been shipped then disappeared. Both amounts were not worth my time to collect.
I guess we take risks all the time, even with local clients. Hopefully the amounts are not devestating if you do get taken. Never once though has a portrait client ever ripped me off.
Joss