PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Oct. 15 - Oct. 21

LJW
10-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Good morning, everyone. I almost forgot to start this week's Oil Gusher! Normally, Pat does, but she's away in Italy having a well-deserved holiday. I've just about finished my new colour charts. Previously, I had made ones with my Holbeins and Senns. mixed together, but this time I decided to do them separately because of the large number of Holbeins in the set. Hope you're all having fun painting with your OPs. Tell us what you're up to and how things are in your neck of the woods. Jane

AnnieA
10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for hosting the Gusher in Pat's absence, Jane. I hope Pat is really enjoying herself on that dream trip to Florence. Did she happen to mention to you whether she anticipated being able to post from Italy, or will we have to wait til she returns to hear the details?

Not much art going on here with me; too many other real life things intruding, unfortunately. And to make matters worse, we've clearly entered the dreary-drippy season here in the Northwest. But it does get sunny on occasion even still. I'm hoping to get all this other stuff out of the way while there's still some sunny Fall weather left, so I can finish a plein aire piece I started, and maybe get a few more sunny reference photos.

LJW
10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi, Annie, I'm sorry to hear that you're not having much time for painting. I can sympathize about the weather. We haven't had any sun for the last week either, and the rain had brought down most of the colourful fall leaves. We had hoped to get out with our new camera to take some fall shots, but I think it's too late.

I don't think we'll hear from Pat until she returns. I hope she's having a wonderful time. Jane

Shirl Parker
10-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I think I'm going to have to assign myself to do certain mediums on specific days of the week, or something is going to fall through the cracks. In July, I got a gift of a complete set of Sennelier OPs and used it to finish my corpse flower painting.

Then in August I did a pastel strokes piece in between working on some demos for the watercolor workshop I was taking in September. Most of September was spent on the workshop and following up on what I learned.

Now I'm working on the invitation to paint Mexico watercolor project and also taking an oil painting workshop one day a week for October. My great box of OPs is languishing on top of the bookcase begging to come down and see some action.

Let's see...Tuesday OP, Wednesday WC, Thursday Oil, oops where to put Acryllic?

Shirl

LJW
10-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Shirl, I sympathise. Ever since I bought my first few OPs (Senns.) a bit more than a year ago, I've only painted a few oil paintings and one acrylic. My husband keeps suggesting I paint some more oils, but I find it so much easier to pick up my OPs and jump in. I imagine that I will get back to mixing paint at some point, but with my new Holbeins it'll be a while. Love to see more of your OPs when you get to doing some. Jane

LJW
10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
In case you're looking for Lacey's portrait WIP and can't see it, I asked Wendy to attach a sticky to keep it at the top of the page. It's full of great techniques for OPs. Jane

AnnieA
10-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Aha! So that's where it went to. Thanks, Jane!

wabbitt
10-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone :) Jane, thanks for keeping the place open!

Sunday I tried so hard to get away from Mom early so I could drop into Dick Blick's Pasedena store on the way home. She managed to keep me two hours longer and by the time I got there, the city was crowded, traffic was horrible, and I couldn't find parking. So my one hour detour was frustrating and fruitless. But this purchase was to be my birtday present to myself so I drove to the next big art store, an independant but well stocked store. They didn't have Holbeins (I just wanted a few to try) but they did have the pastel art bin. I haven't used my Senneliers much because they were in their original boxes and I don't have space to lay them all out. BTW, thanks Jane for showing yours... got the idea from your pictures. I probably paid 25% more than if I'd been able to get into Blick's and use my discounts but I don't get alot of chances to go there.

It's a busy week all around, on top of voluntary overtime at work. I was hoping to skip a class this week and relax but Tuesday we were continuing work on our midterm drawing and Thursday we have critique and turn in our midterm portfolio. Had a bout of insomnia Monday after taking a tour of company which was trying really hard to recruit me. Bottom line is right now I've got enough stress, I don't need to add the stress of changing jobs no matter how much they pay. So right now I'm supposed to be selecting sketches for my portfolio...I better get off the computer, eh? LOL

LJW
10-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Julie, sorry that you didn't make into Blick's in time - that sort of thing can be so frustrating. Hope you find that the ArtBin trays will make it easier for you to get to your Senns. Good luck with your portfolio presentation. Though your life is stressful at the moment, by continuing with your art class you are improving your drawing skills. This will pay off when you have more time for art. Jane

Tracy Lewis
10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Julie. Sorry you weren't able to go to blicks, but here in Neath South wales, the choice of high street art stores is pathetic. I will have to rely on the good old internet.

I got a retailer who wants to sell my work, I'm really excited.

wabbitt
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the support, Jane & Tracy. There are alot of art stores around my area (not counting Michaels & Aaron Brothers), so I haven't needed the internet except for building my wish lists. Some are out of my way, so those visits are more opportunistic. I'm more relaxed today, having finished my portfolio last night just after midnight. At least I don't feel "out of art" because class IS my scheduled art time twice a week, three hours each.

LJW
10-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Tracy, congratulations on the possible sales venue. Good going.

Julie, glad you got your portfolio finished in time. Having scheduled art time is a really good idea when you're busy.

Pat will be back soon. Looking forward to her return and to hear all about her trip.

Rainy here today - time to catch up on house-cleaning. Jane

LJW
10-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Yippee, Pat's back! Now I can sit on the porch for a bit, on the first sunny day in at least a week, while Pat catches up. Welcome back, Pat. Jane