PDA

View Full Version : Help! I am stuck in first painting

Bis007
10-14-2007, 12:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-14-2007/119201_shack.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-14-2007/119201_shackwithflash.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Help! I am stuck in first painting
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hello commentators! <br>I just registered and I am new to painting and this is my first landscape, I did other still life. <br>I am having problem with everything, the green, trees,(not sure that kind of trees it is lol) clouds, and specifically the foreground, maybe i should not have any hill.. I do not like the + (cross where it shows the hill. <br>This is still on the easle, and I am wondering if you can manipulate it with your software, and make suggestions. <br><br>I took the picture just now, one without flash, and the one with flash is wash out but i would like to capture the sunny day. <br>Help! i am stuck..can you critique please, I can take it, be brutal ( smiles)<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would want special input on color, composition, brushwork/linework, use of contrast, use of a specific color, perspective and most of all "foreground"

RACHEL52
10-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi , I Am Not A Trained Artist And Havent Been Painting Long My Self.but I Can Tell You What I Like And The Few Points I Think I know . I Like Your Trees On The RIGHT, I Like The Hills And I Like The Lighter Version.i Would Only Have The One House On The Right And The Shadow Behind It Should Be Made With Darker Leaves Not A Blank Dark A Purple Or Shades Of Purple Is A Good Colour For Shadow Not Black . I Would Take The Green Grass On The Left To The End With Variation On Tones To Give It The Look Of Texture Or Different Levels.i Like The Fore Ground And I Would Re Work The Trees On The Left With More Green And Only Show A Portion Of The Branches. Thats It I Hope Someone Will Come And Give You Better Advise Than Me . It Does Take Some Time ,you Have To Be Patient But I Have Learned Alot By Posting On Wet Canvas And so Good Luck Rachel

zardoz
10-14-2007, 01:32 PM
with the colors I can't help much I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same colors that you are . what I can't determine is where your light source is coming from . looking at the buildings it seesm to be from the upper left from the mountains it appears (to me ) to be coming from the far right ? on the two buildings there is shadow on both sides and above . it might be nice to have some idea where the shadow in the fore ground is coming from . I hope this helps and not confuses .

Corby
10-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi mango..! You are doing quite well actually, just a couple of snags. I dont know which pic is truer to your paintings color, but I love the darker saturated one. Always remember that to get the light, as in sunlight it has to flow out of the darkness. So the rich dark colors serve as a perfect foil for showing the late afternoon sun as we have here. It is flowing into the painting from the left, so remember that every object in its path will be highlighted by the sun on its left side from our standpoint. You have done that, the sides of the houses are strongly lighted. This means of course that the right side of objects from our standpoint will be in shadow and shadows cast on the ground will run to the right as well. Do not use black as you have to sort of surround an object such as the houses to make them stand out. It is not natural and does not look right. If you observe the light as I have just explained, your colors and values will make things stand out in their proper relationship to the rest of the painting. Notice that I touched the tops of the trees on the right side with some sunlight. Remember that anything that is not under shadow will pick up that sun and pass it on. The flow of light must be consistent throughout the painting. A case in point that needs change here are those mountains in the background. You have the light side on the wrong side. I changed it so you could see.

Your sense of color and your brushwork are good, a fine basis for maturing as an artist. I like the power of the road crossing. But the right hand fork leads us out of the painting, or at the least dumps us there in the back woods. The left hand side sort of just leaves us wondering how we got in the middle of an empty meadow... probably best to simplify it and lead directly to the buildings. The road offers opportunity for lots of interesting treatments. Your foreground patterns of texture, light and shade and so forth are really good. lastly as you have probably noticed I moved the house. Putting them together they share the center of interest. Where they were they competed, the eye could not decide which to look at.. lastly: Welcome to the WC! So good to see your work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2007/70790-shack1.jpg

La_
10-14-2007, 02:14 PM
welcome mangogirl, so glad you've picked up a brush and joined us, loads of fun : )
corvus Always has good advice, listen to him! from me, this piece is more lonely and old fashioned and i'd prefer it with a much smaller focus on the road ... maybe just ruts from horse drawn wagon even, with grass between the ruts

la

Bis007
10-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Mr. Corby thank you so much for your time and effort in helping me out.
I love what you did:heart:, and I will do as u suggested because it looks more real and pleasing, I must say the original was confusing. (could be the way it was photographed)

Because I took it with my digital camera today, the darker pic looks like the light was coming from the left, but actually it is from above (high noon) the flash makes it brighter but it was distorted.

I would like to paint it as u suggested, but I will be having a hard time moving the houses.. The canvas is 12x14. in order to place them in the middle, this is what i wanted to do.
What do u suggested I do to move them.. paint over it with what? or would it better to change the light source and dull the red cabin, or just have only one cabin the blue one? Love the mountains u redo. thanks
If I know how to paint over the cabins, I can do it. (or I will do a brand new one with your suggestion) ;-)

This is my first landscape, and like a beginner, we always attempt a landscape and still life, no one sees it, and I am very honored to get your valuable opinion and suggestions on it.

Will make the correction and post it soon. Again thank you so so much for taking the time.
Kindest regards
Dev. ( am new to everything, but i love to paint- I will upload a still life I did,again no one sees it)

Bis007
10-14-2007, 04:58 PM
:clap:Thank you La, zardox, Rachels52 for your comments, it is confusing where the light is coming from, I know. (it is the flash on the digital cam)
The original lights was coming from above 12:00pm.
I love what Corby did with it tho and I will go with it - it looks like the afternoon, so it makes a big difference and alot needs to change,maybe i will do a new one :-) ( I am having fun tho) and I am glad i found this site.
Again, many thanks to u all.

dev.

Corby
10-14-2007, 06:14 PM
I think doing a new one is a good idea. I always love to see a first painting. It should never be painted over or gotten rid of. It is your measure for the future, to say: Look where I came from. AND look what I can do now!!!

Bis007
10-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Thank you Corvus! yes it is a good idea to start a new one, I do not think i
like landscapes, having trouble with trees and the various green especially.
I saw your site, and you are very professional- nice work.
Can you tell me what program you used to correct my painting, maybe that might help me a bit.

Many thanks
dev.