GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fall
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 inches x 36 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A piece in my present show, 'Moments of Awakening'. This is probably the most easily accessable image of transendence, one of those heart rupturing moments that Mother Nature presents on a fall day -- especially here in central Ontario, Canada.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

Slurps
10-14-2007, 01:24 PM
That's pretty wild. Looks almost like a photographic negative. Or like a photo you digitally manipulated to give it high contrast.
Really has an awesome 3-D effect, and that's accentuated by the outlining along the edge of the leaves where they meet the sky.
I like it a lot, but I think after a minute or so my eyes will start to hurt from looking at it. Not sure about the heart-bursting aspect (I get what you mean, though), but it's messing with my eyes big time!
The nearly bare tree (birch? aspen?) is an incredible focal point.
Point of view is unique and distinctive. The velvety texture of the cloud is intriguing.
Overall, this is a visual adventure. Probably also a visual magnet when hung amid a group of paintings.
Funny, this is a painting that hits me viscerally, and yet the one thing it does is the opposite of what you are looking for: it makes me dread autumn if I have to wear protective glasses to stay upright!
Which means: you got a winner here, in my book. Making someone react - and I don't consider someone saying "ooh, that's pretty" a reaction - is a sign of something significant in a work. Excellent.
I'll go rest my eyes now. Thanks.

Candices_Creations
10-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Whoa...where's my sunglasses??!! I live in roughly the same region..so I realize the strength of the changing colors in autumn. You certainly captured the vibrancy! I'm not sure .."heart rupturing"..is a positive phrase to describe how phenominal mother nature is ,though. The viewpoint is unique but, I don't find the overall composition extremely interesting. I could use that punch of color on mornings when I have a hard time waking up!

allanom
10-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Slurps: Really enjoyed your enthusiastic response!

Candice: Maybe "heart-rapturing" would be better? And I will proffer that slurps" point: "The nearly bare tree (birch? aspen?) is an incredible focal point." correlates to my belief in the success of the comp. However, I know that ideas of what constitutes good composition can can be quite subjective.

ejtupi
10-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Allan, last year I hiked into a forest one day and spent most of my time looking up into the trees. The play of the branches and leaves against each other and against the sky was almost dizzying. You've captured some of that same feel here. I love this picture for reminding us to look up at times.

thomas w
10-15-2007, 09:19 AM
I like how you eliminated only the most essential shadows from the trees, it gives it an eerie unnatural beauty. The composition and point of view also give it a dizzying quality. All I can say is, wow.
Thomas W

Dhuot
10-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Very good Allan.
Very intense feel by it's realistic aspect
Very musical, a melody
:)