PDA

View Full Version : Farm Fence WIP

Lawrence Fox
10-13-2007, 01:48 PM
It's been a while since I painted something, but since I'm doing a workshop next week, I figured it was time to get some exercise :). I took this photo earlier this summer at a client's farm and finally got around to painting it. The actual painting is a bit darker, and seeing the scanned version makes me want to brighten up some of the colours at the bottom. It needs something, but I'm not sure just what....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2007/103344-Lamoureux_Farm_Gate_Upload1.jpg

mmcaloon
10-13-2007, 02:30 PM
I think if you add some darks on the fence (shadows) and some at the base you won't need to brighten the colors.

HarvestMoon
10-13-2007, 03:39 PM
looks very nice to me.... perhaps some darks like mike said

CWood
10-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Good ideas on the darks in the fence. Do the road and trees need to recede more?

Carl

rue d'oak
10-14-2007, 03:48 PM
More darks in the foreground would definately help the back elements recede, Lawrence. Also, I think the angle of the path is working against you, and at this point I am not sure how much you can change it. As the left side of the path is nearly parallel to the edge of the painting/paper edge, it makes it "go up" rather than the classic narrowing into the horizon. Just a thought.

Jen

Lawrence Fox
10-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Jen:

Good point--it does look like you're going up a hill beyond the fence, doesn't it? (Which is kinda funny because in real life, there' actually a dip down into a small valley--the bottoms of the trees are actually below the bottom of the fence!)

Carl & Mike:

I tried darkening it up a bit more last night, and it helped a bit, but I think I ended up with The Dreaded Mud Picture.

I think I'm gonna chalk this one up to "nice try" and put the reference pics back into the queue for a retry later this year. Thanks everyone!