PDA

View Full Version : Surface Figure -- Surrender

allanom
10-13-2007, 01:54 AM
http://allanomarra.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/surfacing_0102.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Surface Figure -- Surrender
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 inches x 36 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Another piece presently hanging in my 'Moments of Awakening' show in Toronto.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

Slurps
10-13-2007, 02:16 AM
The overall effect is lovely, with a wonderful sense of floating. The colors are lush, the water treatment is great (your other posts show that you have a real flair for painting light in/on water). For me, the best part of the picture is the way you captured her right arm...that's wonderful. Also, great touch on the portion of the left leg extending out of the water. Really nice.

I'm not crazy about the face, with the features seeming to be pushed to her left and that blob on her cheek near the hairline. Just personal taste on the latter consideration.

The right leg is really bothering me. Even with the surface of the water providing distortion, the leg looks withered and deformed. Maybe it's supposed to look that way.

The turquoise/teal left shoulder and the black line (hair?) across her neck aren't registering correctly. Perhaps that's the photo, though. Too abrupt on the transitions of color there and on the hair along the left side of the face and neck.

As usual, I probably focus too much on little things. This is, no doubt, a really gorgeous picture in person.

Corby
10-13-2007, 01:52 PM
there is the mind and there is the eye. My mind tells me that this person is floating in a swimming pool...the color of the (water) My eye tells me (the color of the body mottling) that they are quite dead.
Maybe they are? having surrendered? At any rate soft water colors with softly modified flesh colors would have been more appealing.

kathrynlovespets
10-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I love this....

it would be ordinary if the woman were in a pink bikini on a float with a smile on her face and a cocktail in her hand

but...

she looks like she just died...and she's naked....it's eerie and very interesting...she looks like she is in a pool..
it makes me think of a suburban woman who has gotten sick of her lifestyle and all the gossip..and who has drowned herself in her own pool from excessive drinking or perhaps overdose of drugs

tony1
10-13-2007, 06:36 PM
This is very nice. The feel of the water and the person floating are excellent. She does look dead, which may be what you were going for given your other pieces in this show.

I can live with the right leg looking deformed as in water this is what happens to shapes.

The only minor thing that bothers me is the face. Soemthing doesn't ring true there. Can't put my finger on it, sorry.

Regardless, my favorite of yours that you've shown here. Nice.

floopy
10-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I think that this work is fab. I don't think she seems dead AT ALL. I feel her giving in to the comfort of floating in water. (which you rendered fabulously)
Feeling weightless. I must agree about the face, the eye, is just a mere dot. I would try to give that more definition. Great work overall.

Candices_Creations
10-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I've observed that you capture the effect of light and the transparency of water ..very convincely. This figure does give me an erie feeling. The mottled green and brown colors..replace with lighter flesh tones would be more realistic...just my opinion, of course...

allanom
10-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Slurps: Thanks-you for your considered and appreciated observations. I fought this piece a bit -- given that I had switched to acrylics from oils (as a chanllenge to myself) and wanted it to be a bit more "expressionistic". I went back to it on several occasions and made changes and got it to a place where I was happy with it. However, your comments are well made and meritable. I'm posting an installation shot to give you an idea of its impact when viewed on the wall in the context of the show.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2007/4031-surfaceFig.jpg

CorvusKorax: Thanks for your input. See post above about my intentions.

Kathryn: Whoaaa! Some story this prompts for you. Pleased it works on some level, though.

Tony: No, didn't intend on her being a floating body..:O) Sorry it doesn't work for you.

floopy: Yo! Thanks, Glad this works for you (excepting the eye... oh, well, gotta take what comes).

Candice: I didn't stray too far from the effects of the water had on the flesh in the source pic. And I liked what was happening with the range of colours in the figure. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Paulafv
10-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Lovely, floating, peaceful just as I love to be.

Skin color does not jibe with with mood of the painting. It's either realistic or abstract. But, I guess it can be what you want it to be. I'd prefer a choice in styles

I think what it is is the hard lines between the shapes. If they are softened, the water will look more flowing and watery. Everything else is nice, but take note on the face from other responses.

Jackie339
10-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Not an easy task, but pretty well executed!