PDA

View Full Version : Deep Thinking

TinaC
10-12-2007, 06:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-12-2007/117326_dad_updated_1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Deep Thinking
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 36 I think
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My first real attempt at a portrait.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this have any merit?

angela
10-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I cant believe nobody h as commented on this! Does this have any merit? Absolutely! Its hard to believe this is your first portrait. I love his pose and I like the space on the viewer's left. I think its really really well done. I love the hair!

Selahs art
10-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Very well done.
Yes it has merit.

Retha

Corby
10-12-2007, 09:58 PM
welllll....its only been up for three hours...first I have seen of it. that of course is beside the point, it is a very fine first portrait. That shirt is gorgeous! The expression is well captured but it seems to go slightly beyond thinking and border on anguish. That could just well be my own take. With the mans white hair I would think a graded background may have served better. play the light colored shirt and hair against a darker background with the light shining on it.
The image itself as far as displaying the reality of the sitter...we cannot determine that. I would only caution that despite the eyes and features being well done, they still seem to be overpowered by the two middle fingers and the ear. So with a few tweaks it blooms fully into the very worthwhile work it is!

Welcome to the WC! August999

toraman
10-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Very good portrait, it feels more like he is hmmmm, dont know the word for it :)
but not thinking but like afraid, but thats not the exact word. I will hopefully do my first portrait soon (in 10 years time at least :) )

ejtupi
10-13-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm with toraman on this one. I'm not seeing "deep thinking". I had a roommate in college who was an actor, and he told me how they had to portray various emotions using only facial expressions. It's harder than it sounds. It's actually kind of fun to guess what the emotion is. In this case, I like to think the guy's trying to remember if he called his wife by his girlfriend's name....

Seriously, though, there's a lot of complexity in this picture, which is great. A little too much red in the skin tones, but the guy looks old enough to be a Florida retiree, so I'll buy it. The sausage finger look was a little offputting at first, but it's probably (sadly) fairly true of a lot of older folks. [Okay, old timers, hate on me now....]
Only real crit would be the blue-gray shadowing on the face where he's jamming his fingers, and smooth out the sharp corner of the cheek nearest the ear where his fretfulness...er...deep thinking has caused him to shove his face about.
I haven't seen a reference photo of the model for this picture, but I have a feeling this likeness is dead on the money. It's got an air of authority in its execution.
Good job.

Candices_Creations
10-13-2007, 05:45 PM
This is a wonderful portrait ! You captured so much emotion in the subjects face. I would think he looks a bit worried, or concerned....then again..when some people are really concentrating, they have that expression , too!! Great job!

floopy
10-13-2007, 06:38 PM
This portrait is very, very well done. I like how you have left much of the background and have cropped the figure. Yes, absolutely, this has merit. I do agree that he does seem anguished.

kathrynlovespets
10-13-2007, 08:27 PM
see i love this because everyone says he looks worried...but he's just spacing out! He's had a long day and now he's relaxing and spacing out

great job capturing it..i'd define that pinky a bit better (shadows perhaps) because right now, it looks like he could be picking his nose for all we know..until you look really close...

Dhuot
10-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Hey, I agree about the empty space, leaving the sitter alone, los in thougts.
Very well executed.impressive

TinaC
10-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Thank you so much everyone for responding, you have made my week. The brilliant Daniel has commented on MY painting, WOW, and the fantastic Corby who's every word I hang on.... I could go on. What an excellent site this is and I am in awe of you all.

Its really interesting how people interpret a painting, all your comments about the sitter probably apply, although not necessarily at the moment captured, it was just a snapshot after all. (attached FYI) I am not so brilliant that I think I put all that in the painting but as it is my Dad I probably know him well enough that it felt true at the time. Maybe thats the trick (and the justification) when painting from photos, know your subject. I would rather work from life but its not possible.

Anyway, its too late to alter this one now, but I will take on board all your comments for next time. I dont have the skill to move far from the details of a photo - yet, but I will work on it! Thanks again.

Jackie339
10-15-2007, 07:47 PM
It has a lot of merit, very well executed! I think he looks more discusted than anything else, IMHO.

Eggy
10-15-2007, 08:48 PM
If this is not finished, you may consider making the background darker.
I keep looking at the eyes... the right eye seems to be looking right and the left one left ( in other words, independently of his other each other ).

As for merit: for a first portrait, yes it has merit.

Kind regards,
Eggy.