MY COMMENTS:
Small, quick painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments welcome.

kathrynlovespets
10-12-2007, 06:04 PM
lovely paint application...
I like this girl

I really like this painting! It's one of those portraits that is timeless and decorative

Slurps
10-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I enjoy the economical brushwork. Excellent gestural effects without a lot of fussy detail. Nice.

Only crit: left nostril seems quite cavern-ish, and breast bone seems to be coming to a point.

Good looking, very individual style. Much to like, especially the urging of the viewer to wonder what's caught her attention. Tremendous personality in this picture. Thanks for putting this up.

Corby
10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
This is a gem! It shows its immediacy, like a plein air. Strength and a bit of quirkiness? The girl is attractive and has personality. The style is very enjoyable, and I like your use of broken color. Good work Joe!

ejtupi
10-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I think the impasto gives this picture an honesty that is incredible. As Corby says, sort of a plein air thing, but I see it more as just seeing someone for who she is and unerringly setting the impression on canvas. Fantastic portrait. Striking and distinctive. Great insights you're showing, Joe.

itsajem
10-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Nice one Joe!
Do her eyes seem to be looking in different directions?

Joe Steiner
10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Thank you so much for your quick responses. I appreciate the encouragement. It's good to be back.

Dhuot
10-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Joe, I have always liked your works
And I think I like them even more without all the accesorie details such as table, lamps, chairs
Oh, I should just shut-up
You rock man, this one is VERY good in my books :)

Joe Steiner
10-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Dhuot, thank you, I appreciate your comments. Backgrounds have always been a difficult thing for me. I've always paid more attention to the figure, and especially the face, and slough off on the backgrounds. Also I'm trying to make a transition from painting from life, to painting from a photograph. I'm giving up my out of the House studio. Thanks again Joe

thomas w
10-15-2007, 09:35 AM
I like the backround in this, it has a glow about it. It really looks as if there was another light source back there. The thick application of paint gives it a real expressionistic feel. Remarkable job.
Thomas W