GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Long Day
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I tend to start with a photo reference or two combined-- then let the painting take over. I generally focus on mood more than complete accuracy.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The left hand side of the face and neck is shadowed by angle and her hair--but is it too severe? <br>Any additional pointers to complete this painting are welcome.

Corby
10-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Jenny! It is nice to see what you have done here. If I understand your goals I would say you have done an excellent job. There are some inaccuracy if one were to look with a strict realistic viewpoint...such as the very straight line of her throat.
But for the style you have chosen I think it is a super job. Doing a strong graphic background such as the bed, can really interfere with the main image. Your handling of it works well. The lamp is nice because it is so soft in contrast to the bed and the shadow it causes on the wall is a nice repetition. The lamp does set up a small problem in that we have two opposing light sources. A general over all light falling from the right and the more directional light of the lamp. Still soft light but more directional. The only thing I would suggest is that you pay a bit more attention to the light from the lamp. Do it softly but distinctly. The womans hair for example. If it casts that dark a shadow on her throat and face , the hair itself should be darker on the shadow side. I have indicated this in a work up for you. You might want to analyze your painting in the light (no pun intended) of this information. Welcome Jenny to the WC! It will be good to see more of your work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2007/70790-117883_misc.jpg

Ms.Understood
10-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback--I was a little scared of what I might hear back since this is not a "kudos" environment. :eek: I appreciate the positive comments immensely and am debating fiddling a little more with the shadowed hair. :wink2:
Thank-you also for the warm welcome!

angela
10-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I love this painting! I agree with Corby about the shadow, but its also fine as is! Great job. I love the style.

Ms.Understood
10-12-2007, 10:45 PM
I love this painting! I agree with Corby about the shadow, but its also fine as is! Great job. I love the style.
Thank-you!!!

I am looking to start getting into galleries, and I need some advice. I would love some direction of forum to go to to have anyone take a look at my website and advise me in determining which pieces might best be shown, and/or portfolio advice....anyone?

itsajem
10-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi Jenny,
I had a look at your website and there are some very strong images there!
I would suggest showing gallerys your work in multiple portfolios. There are several distinct styles, personally I think works like introspective, driven, vamp, flower girl, Idle could be grouped together all will show great. Other galleries may be intersted in the works that look more like pastels, the softer look you do.
Thanks I enjoyed looking very much!!!

Ms.Understood
10-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback John! I'm drivin' myself crazy in my own head, it's just good to get any outside opinions!

Dhuot
10-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Beautiful work with very few colours
Considering the porcelein quality of her skin, I do find the shadowed are next to her neck to dark, however, easy fix
I love her hair as is
Nice work, nice model :o

hward
10-14-2007, 01:51 AM
The person in the painting looks very human. That is a nice accomplishment.

Ms.Understood
10-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Beautiful work with very few colours
Considering the porcelein quality of her skin, I do find the shadowed are next to her neck to dark, however, easy fix
I love her hair as is
Nice work, nice model :o
Thank-you! I love your work, by the way.
I do kind of think the hair would be illuminated from the back lighting, so at this point, I'm going to start with lightning the shadow a bit.

Ms.Understood
10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
The person in the painting looks very human. That is a nice accomplishment.
That's fantastic! I constantly tell people, when it comes to painting someone's portrait--"I can make it look human, but I can't promise I can make it look like you!"

Ms.Understood
10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Well, I'm calling it finished. Tried to soften up the line of the neck, shadowed the hair slightly and lifted out some of the darkness.
Thanks for all the input!

Dhuot
10-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Better :)

Beautiful

:)

allanom
10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
This is a very nice piece, with lovely presence and nice solutions for a complex design. And the changes you made as per suggestions are well done.

I visited your site and viewed the work. I would recommend that you do some editing of the work you have posted, reducing down to the the stongest pieces. Personally, I like the simple portraits over the visual metaphor pieces. I will say, you certainly have enough quality pieces to be approaching show venues. I've been exhibiting my work for 35 years, and basically started wherever anyone would put them up, at restaurants, outdoor shows, etc. My most recent show was at a rental gallery (you pay a straight fee and handle your own promotion, opening, etc.). And a serious gallery owner came in, loved the work and offered me a future exhibition. So it's a matter of getting yourself out there to make impressions and get the ball rolling. Good luck!

Ms.Understood
10-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I think I have hooked up a rented wall in a gallery--it's HIGH traffic (first Friday art event, in a slew of downtown galleries) and a yoga studio by day, and I hope to have some luck proceeding thereafter. I'm looking into a cafe and a restaurant for display also.
Thanks for the positve feedback.
Here's a stupid question...What's a CV? I keep seeing I should have a copy of that along with my statement etc. and I keep hoping I'll figure it out since it's probably a simple reference, but alas I am clueless.

allanom
10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Here's a stupid question...What's a CV? I keep seeing I should have a copy of that along with my statement etc. and I keep hoping I'll figure it out since it's probably a simple reference, but alas I am clueless.

CV = curriculum vitae (sp?) It's a resume of biographical information, art, etc. training, show history and collectors of your work.