PDA

View Full Version : Rose in Sunlight

Grainne
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I have always been a landscape painter. Florals scared me :eek:
But someone challenged me to paint a rose, so I tried.

Thought I would share it here and get some feedback/help from the experts as to what works or doesn't work and any other tips :)

Watercolor 3 primaries - Winsors Red, Yellow, and Blue Arches 140#CP
Photo courtesy of Maltman, whose work is wonderful!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2007/28471-MaltysRosewShadows_3.jpg

A larger version can be seen here (http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/Grainne_photos/Watercolors%20I/MaltysRosewShadows3.jpg)

Thanks for looking!

Grainne

Andi Rebirth
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Grainne, this is simply gorgeous. I love the clean colors and the rose is well deveoped. The leaves are complimentary without overpowering the delicacy of the rose itself. Wonderful! I really think you should do more, I came back to look several times. In my eyes a wonderful renditon.

ranunkel
10-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Lovely rose :clap:
Nice colours!

billmahler
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, welcome to florals and now you know that flowers are fun to paint!
What size is the painting?
Congratulations on a good first rose.
My suggestion would be to frame this one and try another rose or two right away, and just be a bit looser with the edges where the petals overlap. For example.. the right edge of the petal on my left that overlaps the uppermost petal .. some of that edge could just disappear and you'd have an even softer feeling to a painting that is already soft in tone.
For masterful examples of handling edges on flowers and roses in particular, you might check out "The Last Flowers of Manet"

artinthebush
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
What are you talking about? You are an expert. Why do you think others are better than you?
You are fantastic and I would like to see many more posts.
Bob

Grainne
10-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Thank you, Andrea! What an encouraging post you have written :)

Marianne, Thanks! I am glad you liked it.

Bill, I do have to say that once I got into painting the rose I enjoyed it :)
Wonderful advice you have given . . . I don't seem to have trouble with edges in landscapes, but I struggled with knowing what to do about soft edges here and yet communicate the shape of the rose. Thanks for the tip on Manet, but I have looked at some of your work too :) For example, the rose and vase, lovely! BTW, my rose is about 7x9.

Bob, thanks for your comments! They are very affirming :)

Terry Wynn
10-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Lovely, just enough, not overdone. Let's the rose shine. I hope you do many, many more.

Terry

jeanvrb
10-13-2007, 09:18 PM
It is a lovely painting. I love rose paintings, especially in watercolor. The advise you were given about soft edges is good advice. It's what I struggle with in my watercolors. But that's part of the challenge of painting and it's what keeps me obsessed I think. I can never learn enough.

Jeanette

Grainne
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Terry and Jeanette :)

I must admit I enjoyed doing it, after I got about halfway into it! :)

Green Ink
10-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Wow you captured this really well! Of all the flowers Roses are amongst the hardest to get; I wouldn't attempt one,well done!

debsn2paintn
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
So many details on the delicate rose, very pretty.

Grainne
10-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Wow you captured this really well! Of all the flowers Roses are amongst the hardest to get; I wouldn't attempt one,well done!

Thanks for the kudos!
If I can paint a rose, you can paint a rose! Try it! :D

Thanks, Deb! :)

valchina612
10-25-2007, 05:08 AM
What a beautiful Rose. You've not only shown your great ability with Watercolours, but also what can be done with the three primary colours. Bravo!!!!!! :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave: