PDA

View Full Version : Swan I & II

TinaC
10-11-2007, 06:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-11-2007/117326_IMG_2707_1_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-11-2007/117326_IMG_2703_1.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Swan I & II
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
These are the last things I painted at the begining of the year. My source material wasnt good and being pretty inexperienced I kind of got fed up fiddling, especially with the pink one.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
They are not great I know, but any constructive criticisms which may help me in the future would be welcome.

Solidgadium
10-11-2007, 06:21 PM
The top image instantly conveys strength and mystery due to the strong contrast in colors. The bottom piece conveys the opposite feeling and is not as captivating. If this was your intent...then you made it work. If you are creating a series, then you may want to experiment with the "strong contrast approach". Just my opinion

misskrissy22
10-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I really like the first one, the colors are great and conveys strength. The second does not show nearly as much feeling. Perhaps it is as you said that you just got tired fiddling, i know the feeling well lol.

La_
10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
whell, muscle men in skirts! don't see that very often!

nicely done and i love the contrast in soft pose/attire and hard strength of their manly forms

the pink is a little over the top for me, but i'm not a pink person really at all so you can ignore that ; )

la

TinaC
10-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I was trying to capture some the elements of the male ballet dancer, strength, power, beauty and even softness. Yes, they are not just men in skirts but are inspired by The Matthew Bourne production of Swan Lake. I guess the paintings dont really show that but it was a good excercise and my first attempts at the human body. Thanks for your comments and time.

La_
10-13-2007, 02:30 PM
sorry August, sarcasm (men in skirts) gets the better of me sometimes ... you did indeed succeed in conveying 'ballet' - obviously to me so I didn't even mention it, guess I should have. : )