Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
my very first painting! is there hope?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I don't know quite what to ask as I am less than a beginner. I suppose if you could tell me about the composition, perspective, and color. Just basically give a beginner something to go forward with. Thanks!

kathrynlovespets
10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Well I love how you've laid it out

the flower is off center...a good thing

all I suggest is keep practicing...you could use to add some more shadowing here and there...but it's a great start

tony1
10-11-2007, 03:37 PM
I think you have a good start. Shadowing/shading would help quite a bit as mentioned.

Also, the background could use some work. I did a search on google for "still life paintings" and looked at the images. You can get a lot of ideas on what to do with background there. If you look at a lot of posts on this site, you'll see some excellent still lifes you can learn from.

Good job, keep painting, you're on your way.

allanom
10-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I think you have a good start. Shadowing/shading would help quite a bit as mentioned.

As tony advises, unless your intention is for this just to be a play on shape and colour, you need some shading -- which is established by light direction and highlights and shadows. Pasting in your repro with some playing around (if crude :O)) with your image as an example of what I mean. And also, as tony points out, make your background meaningful, instead of just random brush strokes. Or just keep it really plain and simple.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2007/4031-sunflowerEtc.jpg

Corby
10-11-2007, 04:00 PM
jaynestp! Welcome to the world of art! Welcome to the WC! Be sure and save this painting. Never throw it away or paint over it. We measure progress by measuring ourselves with ourselves, never others. It is so gratifying to look back and see where we came from.
This is something that I think will help you as a beginner. You will probably want to continue practicing painting "complete" setups as this one. That is good. At the same time it would be good to do a series of some small 8X10 items, putting only two objects in each painting. For example say, a green pepper and an orange pepper. Continue painting in this way with various fruits and vegetables. These are excellent subjects to get you acquainted with how to use color, reflect color, make textures that look real, use shadow, tricks to making depth so it looks like you could actually pick an item up. If you do these small things and submit them to the WC! so we can help, you will be amazed at how fast you progress! You can of course continue to submit more complete studies as this one. As you can see, you will get good suggestions for help.

jaynestp
10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to keep working at it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to apply all your suggestions. :)