GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: crossing Balboa bay
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 4x3 feet
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Plein air . Sat for just about a month and half painting Balboa fun zone and the Pavilion from across the bay.First day clouds came in lines across the sky from a tropical hurricane from Mexico.. next day whirls of clouds that were higher up I put in painting as well. The black Swan Rupert I put in instead of a pelican who was an icon of the bay for many years but was sadly hit by a sheriff boat responding to a emergency. Painting not quite done but close..Cheers John

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
none

allanom
10-11-2007, 02:08 AM
If you aren't untrained, you should be.

This has a nice spontaneous naive quality to it. The high key colours and the faux-like solutions are quite charming. I like it!

Ronni
10-11-2007, 03:07 AM
I am thrilled of the beauty and strength of your work.Your all works contain much beyond realism, but the spirit of the scene, drama and beauty. The colors, the shapes, so harmonious and balanced. I wish I knew who you are, to tell you a personal huge bravo.
Ronni

sabine2
10-11-2007, 04:57 AM
i like it too! Charming is the word ;) and ther is humour too

toraman
10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
What a wonderful world :)

thomas w
10-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Wow, great colors! Can't wait to see more from you.
Thomas W

Slurps
10-11-2007, 11:02 AM
I'd love to see this one in person, because it's too big and too funky for a little picture on my computer to do it justice. This is too much fun to be contained in a small canvas! Feels like it's walking the borderline of surrealism. Great stuff, lots of effort went into it, but I'll bet every minute was enjoyable. Thanks for posting this!

billmahler
10-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Great picture, but that swell is making me seasick!
Where is Balboa Bay?

kathrynlovespets
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
wow :clap:
an experience...looking at this is a visual treat

Candices_Creations
10-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Excellent light and movement on the water ! Thank you for sharing your work

Corby
10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
extraordinary!!! It has a feeling of Thomas Hart Benton. absolutely gorgeous! Do swans go to salt water? Or is the bay not salt? Thanks for sharing the wonderful painting! ( the word "wonderful" is so banal that it has lost its meaning) But if I say the painting is full of wonders! We could count them and agree, starting with that extraordinary water!

creodont
10-11-2007, 09:49 PM
thank you for all the nice comments. Balboa bay is part of Newport in southern Calif. Rupert the swan was a celebrity with other swans that were acclimated to live at the harbor. For many years he swam thru out the bay until an unfortunate accident claimed him. One year on fourth of July he received a standing applause greater then all the boats that were in the parade when he swam by and stole the show. Will be showing the Pavillion painting in oil on this forum today . Other works of mine are just a few but under the words Balboa and Catalina.....again Thankyou over and over again.cheers John.

lhoxie
10-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Beautiful! I love the light play in the water and on the clouds!

schilderesje
10-16-2007, 08:01 PM
This is a very powerful painting. I feel like I'm on the boat and that I have to hold on to the railing for fear of getting seasick. I feel the speed of the boat and the roughness of the water. Excellent job. Very original!!

Toine

dab
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
stunning...fun...want to go there...i see alot of love in this painting...excuse me while i have another look..