GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Figure from Life #5
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
We started our life painting and drawing group for this fall again. What a great exercise it is!<br>The second image is a closeup of the first.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments and tips are appreciated.

Corby
10-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi Tracy! It must be exciting to do a life drawing class. The human figure is the greatest challenge of all! I like the way your form here is so well revealed by the light. And the spontaneity and immediacy of the image is transferred to us.

If you dig your elbow into your body, it will be at your waist line. leaving your elbow there and folding your arm up, your fingers will touch the top of your shoulder. Drop your arm down and your fingers will be touching your knee. This is common measure to all of us . With that in mind I think you will find the ladies legs are much too long. And possibly that right arm is a bit short.
have fun with the new season!

Slurps
10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Someone needs to contact Michelangelo and tell him David's arms are too short (or the legs are too long). His hand only comes to mid-thigh. I just checked: my fingers only come to the middle of my thigh. I probably didn't descend directly from an ape; only explanation I can find for my fingers not reaching my knee. (Unless you are referring to the sitting position, in which case the fingers do, indeed, reach the knee.)

Perhaps the legs are not too long after all?

tbezesky
10-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Thanks Korax and Slurps,
I probably should be, but I am not a measurer, I just draw what I see. If I look at my own elbow I can see that it's at my waist. If I sit on the floor with my hand resting on the ground, pushing my shoulder upward, it's higher. The best way for me to judge the length of legs is to look at the model next time. The best test is whether or not something seems wrong. With some traits only the model can settle a dispute.
Thanks again. :)

tbezesky
10-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I made a few adjustments, mostly to the face. I didn't have time to work on it as much as I wanted.