PDA

View Full Version : Portrait.

herrerojulia
10-10-2007, 11:57 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-10-2007/89725_selflightdev100.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-10-2007/89725_selfdev100.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-10-2007/89725_selfclose100.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait.
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Oil on canvas 16"x20".

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
As always - what do you think?<br>I include photos of the same portrait in daylight and electrical light, also detail.

ejtupi
10-10-2007, 01:10 PM
This will get me in trouble with some women, I'm sure, but I love when a woman has great eyebrows and doesn't prune them. First thing I noticed in this portrait. Second was that you captured someone whose smile is genuine, unaffected, reflective of a happiness that's not superficial. The hair is fantastic. I love the sturdiness of her neck; it says a lot about the woman you've portrayed, consistent with the eyebrows - a confident, assured woman with an incredible femininity (reminds me of Henry Miller's description of his wife June). Beautiful picture. Her smile is amazing...did I already say that? Well, it is.....

(Only thing I'd suggest is taking a look at how the collarbone seems to be migrating into the sternum, creating a bit of a boat bow effect... )

Paulafv
10-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Very nice. I like the composition and the reflected light along the jaw bone and between the eyebrows. Good angle and good color.

kathrynlovespets
10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
i really love this...
because usually with portraits, they are great sure..but they aren't works of art that anyone would want--they are just portraits that belong in the home of the subject or the subject's loved one

BUT this one would look good in anyone's home, even if they didnt know the subject...because the colors are vibrant, the pose is different and fun, and it would bring warmth and happiness to a room

Corby
10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Don't anyone named "Lucy" be offended please...but this portrait really reveals the difference between a "Lucy" and a "Lucia". What a warm, outgoing, strong, lusty woman! yes it is the stuff of classical portraiture. It is diminished only by the much inferiorly painted arches.

Slurps
10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Sure, Corby, the same way La Joconde (the Mona Lisa) is diminished by a so-so background landscape.
Her eyes and the highlights in her hair are wondrous. This is a beautiful portrait, no matter the little technical imperfections. This is revelatory...that is the mark of a portrait that is more than a mere likeness.
There is much to learn from in this picture. This woman is timeless; if anything, the arches and the vague background emphasize that rather than detracting from it.

Bevahlee
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
while there are some bothersome areas, the jaw seems to be separated from the neck because of a bit of too sharp a line there, I wouldn't mess with this one. It just has a "presence" that knocks you back and makes you want to know this gal. A great spirit.

Dhuot
10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Oh, how much of a cool and fun painting that is :)
Fun, because it seems that she was , maybe, dancing and stopped just for us
Enjoyable
Hair are very nice
:)

Candices_Creations
10-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Very good portrait...warm colors..and you captured her expression wonderfully...great painting!!!

allanom
10-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Portrait is quirky fun and well done. However, the background arches are really wrong. Just some plain texture would be fine.

herrerojulia
10-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Thank you, thank you very much! For comments and critiques!

airplane
10-11-2007, 07:44 PM
There are some good things happening in this portrait. The expression is
is very natural. However as others have pointed out, the arches don't add
anything positive to the composition and should probbaly just be painted over
in the same manner as the rest of the background. In addition be careful with
perspective as the subject's shoulders have a slightly unnatural slant. Lastly, and also a perspective issue...the buttons on the shirt are aligned in a strait row but rather should follow the contour of her body. Hope this helps.