GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Plein Air Companion
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Fibre
Dimension: 9X12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A painting of me and a dog that always hangs around when I paint in this area (Santa Ynez Valley)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This painting turned out like giving a speech. Not the one I had planned on. <br>I really need help on this one. Especially with the colors and composition.

thomas w
10-10-2007, 10:10 AM
The big dark foilage on the left is the first thing that strikes me here. I think it would be better to remove it, and move the dog over to the left. The middle ground could use some more contrast to liven this up. And a bit more detail on the figures. Like they say "The best laid plans..."
Thomas W

billmahler
10-10-2007, 02:33 PM
That strong light hitting his back could be a larger player in this picture, I think.

The light on his back and the shadow tell us that it's early or late in the day, and it's not immediately clear which. Maybe warming up or cooling down the grass and shadows would give some clues.

When I look at the light caught by the jacket and trousers and then look at the light on the branches of that tree they seem to be in the same light path. Tho the local color of the branches is somewhat darker than the local color of the jacket, I expect them to be consistent with the light source and I don't see it that way. Ditto with the dog's left side.

Maybe letting them display that strong light would unify things more.

Then as Thomas said, you could work on more details

D.W. Flint
10-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks Tom & Bill. Now I've got to get to work. When I'm done with it I'll post the revision.

Corby
10-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I just absolutely love paintings of painters, Its sort of a three layer cake. Myself the viewer, you the painter of pictures, and the painter in the picture! Is that called "having your cakes and eating them too? :-)

My two cents worth is about cohesion. The painting must hold together in a beautiful pattern and not be a collection of non related items placed at random. One of the ways to obtain cohesion is by letting the different items cohere or stick to one another by OVERLAPPING.

D.W. Flint
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I think I know what you mean Corby, I'll try it. Thanks....I just absolutely love paintings of painters, Its sort of a three layer cake. Myself the viewer, you the painter of pictures, and the painter in the picture! Is that called "having your cakes and eating them too? :-)

My two cents worth is about cohesion. The painting must hold together in a beautiful pattern and not be a collection of non related items placed at random. One of the ways to obtain cohesion is by letting the different items cohere or stick to one another by OVERLAPPING.