View Full Version : My Rambling Roses

PERUGINA
10-09-2007, 08:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2007/112510-DSCF2913.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2007/112510-DSCF2920.JPG

RAMBLING ROSES

30 X 15 CM

Montval 185gsm

Not very good images of these... as they are weird in dimension... again... my take on saving paper.

I have found that Montval Paper doesn't absorb the paint as well as Arches... but rather sits on the top... and the paint didn't look very translucent in this one... but powdery... especially the violet colours and viridian.

Would like to know your thoughts on this... looking forward to replies.

ranunkel
10-12-2007, 11:26 AM
You are a hard worker :) I love you roses and the soft colours.

Lady Carol
10-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Nothing wrong with unconventional sizes, everyone paints like that from time to time.

Lovely work BTW.

jeanvrb
10-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Perugina,

You finished another lovely painting. I did visit your website and saw the "Three Iris" all in one photo, along with Rambling Rose. I thought it looked great that way and still showed enough detail even in the small size thumbnail. I could tell a lot more about the painting by seeing the whole thing together, and the unusual size you mentioned looks very good.

You wrote
I have found that Montval Paper doesn't absorb the paint as well as Arches... but rather sits on the top... and the paint didn't look very translucent in this one... but powdery... especially the violet colours and viridian.
It may be that your Montval Paper is one that provides for easier correction by not absorbing the paint as well. You might enjoy reading what artist Tom Lynch says about different watercolor papers. He is an artist who previously did several series of watercolor art instruction on the Public Broadcasting System. In the link below he mentions paper, along with other supplies.
http://www.tomlynch.com/supplies_workshop.cfm

I, myself, like Arches paper, and it sounds like you do too. But I did order a couple of sheets of the kind that he recommends for his technique. I did find it easy to lift paint to make some corrections. Maybe the Montval paper is like that. I've tried several brands, but always come back to Arches.

Jeanette

PERUGINA
10-14-2007, 01:02 AM
ranunkel...thanking you again for stopping by and making a comment on my work... that's really encouraging... this is what we all need... to keep us motivated and going... especially with this extremely elusive mdium called watercolour.

Lady Carol...thanks for your comments on unconventional sizes... hoping that I'm not in the minority... it is difficult to find frames to fit... sometimes I have to crop the work down considerably to fit...so as to make it more economical!
Custom framing is so expensive here!

jeanvrb... thanking you jJanette, for taking the time to stop by and for your comments... it is so appreciated...and also for taking the time to visit my website... I'm so glad that you took the time to do that...and for letting me know...
Your note on Montval Paper and Links to artist Tom Lynch and what he says about different watercolor papers is appreciated also. I will make sure that I visit it at some stage and have a read.
I was using Montval paper and others as I was reluctant to use Arches because of the expense... however using Arches does have it's own merit in the way watercolour behaves... and each paper has it's own characteristics and therefore behaviour... and therefore these are lessons in their own right...

Take care and see you soon.:wave: