PDA

View Full Version : Three Iris

PERUGINA
10-09-2007, 08:11 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2007/112510-THREE_IRIS_3_COMP.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2007/112510-THREE_IRIS_2_COMP.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2007/112510-THREE_IRIS_1_COMP.jpg
THREE IRIS

18 X 78 CM
Arches 300gsm
Cold Pressed Fin

Firstly...I can't believe I made this work on the screen... because of the dimensions I had to take three photographs to get the full image up close and tried to match up the design in the segments.

Now... let me explain the weird size...

Everyone in my class has a go at me about the way I cut my paper into thin strips... they call it Painting By The Metre!:o

I take my large sheet of Arches and cut it into thirds...as not to waste the paper when I stuff up... and I kind of like long thin works anyway so it's the perfect marriage!

I'm not very happy with the composition... but as everything is experimental at the moment... well let's say...it's OK!

marionh
10-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I like the composition. At first I thought it was 3 paintings all of which work for me. I love your loose style and the fact that you have not overworked it.
Well done.

SunsetSue
10-09-2007, 11:45 AM
This is really nice. Good use of color and I will bet it is quite lovely in person as all one piece. Well done!

Charlie's Mum
10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Another good experiment!
I like the w/colour effects you have here - nicely used medium!

Do you have a software programme where you can stitch the images together? I often have to do this with scans of mine:D

jeanvrb
10-09-2007, 05:37 PM
By Charlie's Mum
Do you have a software programme where you can stitch the images together? I often have to do this with scans of mine.
Seeing the closeups are nice, but if the closeups are stitched together, wouldn't it then be larger than the WC limit of 600 pixels x 500 pixels? But maybe you could include a 4th picture that shows the complete painting. True, you would be backed up with your camera, but then we would see the whole thing and also the closeups. But still looks good as is, a very pretty painting.

Jeanette

PERUGINA
10-10-2007, 01:04 AM
marionh...they are not three paintings... in order to take in the whole painting with my camera... I need to pull to far back... so it was really the best I could do! Sorry...

SunsetSue...it does look a little better than it being segmented like this on the computer screen... thanks for the compliment...

Charlie's Mum...no ...I wasn't aware there is a computer programme that could "stitch" these togther... will investigate... so thanks!

Jeanette...good idea to include a picture of the whole thing...! Interesting thought about the pixels being greater if "stitched up"... might be a good question to pose to the moderators...

Charlie's Mum
10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
I use Paint Shop Pro - but a lot of progs should do it.
I scan perhaps four different parts and as they're all done to the same scale it's easy to eliminate and shadow areas from the scan and copy all into one, slide and move 'til they match.

Then resize the whole merged image to WC dimensions.

Then for this painting, I'd show the complete pic and the details separately (as in post #1):D

Polygon
10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I think it's beautiful. I love the composition! At first I thought it was a vertical triptych (sp?), it works as a vertical and it would work as a triptych too!

PERUGINA
10-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Charlie's Mum...thanks for the tip... I will try and do this next time... a lot of my paintings are in this dimension...I don't have Paintshop Pro... haven't really explored that side of things yet... as I am new to computers.

Polygon...I have never heard of this term "triptych" ... I think I know what you mean... it is definitely not that... it is one painting. Had to photograph it in this maner so as not to have to pull back to far!
I'm glad you like it!

pancho
10-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Very loose and cool colors...I love it.

PERUGINA
10-11-2007, 10:23 PM
pancho...thanks for taking the time to stop by and making a lovely comment...:wave:

ranunkel
10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Lovely wet in wet painting!
You pulled the job of very well, the hard ting when you work wet in wet is not to over do it.

Lady Carol
10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
you are good at watercolour. You have a nice fluidity with these pieces.

PERUGINA
10-14-2007, 01:09 AM
ranunkel...thanking you again for your time and encouragement... it's very appreciated. :wave:

Lady Carol...thanks for your reply also... as far as good... well I can't comment... that being said... I have just as many pieces if not more that don't work out...or that I'm not happy with... and even with this particular piece I should have paid better attention to the compostition and placed the petals of the middle Iris so that they weren't on the edge of the paper.
The important lesson here is that we all try our best and have a go! Oh...and to have FUN! :wave: