GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Marcel
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi! This is my son, Marcel. First bo<br>...becoming a man.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Can I be done?????

Corby
10-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Love the composition and color...but the face has the same sense to it that a photo has with overexposure or flash burnout. There needs to be more modeling in the face itself. Notice in the gray scale that it has the same even blandness asa the sky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/70790-marcell.jpg

Grunge
10-09-2007, 01:05 AM
I think my problem is my painting is getting washed out by the flash.

billmahler
10-09-2007, 01:47 AM
T

You are so blessed! Lovely daughters, wonderful son.

I'd rank this as one of your better paintings. It tells us a lot about the subject.. his mood, his dreams, his fears, his past. A good portrait has to tell us more about the subject than what he looks like, and this one does.
He could be any man dealing with all the angst of that age. He has me thinking of that time for myself.

Whatever that thing is above his head, I like it. It brings us back to him.

Technically things have a way of lining up if we get the emotional side of it right. No doubt here tho, you nailed this one, and you have a beautiful painting.

As always, Corby is right, and it needs more variety in values but that might be the flash.

I'd frame this one, T.

Wassie
10-09-2007, 03:18 AM
I would love to run my fingers through that curly hair!

thomas w
10-09-2007, 10:20 AM
This is wonderfully executed. The composition and color all work together to bring out an emotion. You really brought out the personality of your son.
Thomas W

Dana Design
10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Another handsome child, T! I second what Corby said in that you could place more modeling on the planes of the face. I know how difficult w/c portraits can be! Good work on this.

Grunge
10-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks family!! I went back into the painting tonight and darkened a few things...eyelashes, lower corner of the jaw, right side of the forehead, a touch around the eyes and nose. but no photo as I'm still fighting the dreaded flash. Hope to get a decent photo this weekend before I drop it off to be framed.

thanks for the help and the much appreciated compliments. Thank you so much!!!