PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Oct. 8 - Oct. 14

Pat Isaac
10-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Good morning everyone,

Gloomy and wet here, but we do need the rain so badly. We'll take it. Getting last minute things ready for our trip to Italy tomorrow. It still seems unreal to me....I will bring back plenty of pictures.
I did go to the camera store to get another card for my digital and guess what??? They don't make that card anymore and this camera is only 4 years old!!!! Well I bought lots of film.

So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
10-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Pat, we'll miss you, but have an absolutely wonderful time on your trip. We bought a new digital camera recently and it had a different type of memory card than our last one. No standardization what so ever and almost instant obsolescence it seems. Rainy here too. Jane

wabbitt
10-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Pat, have a safe and fun trip!

HI LINDSAY! I saw the posts over the weekend. Sorry to hear about your daughter still struggling with her health. I hope you get the right diagnosis soon.

I had a weekend at home, for once. Mom frustrated me at one point so I decided to leave the house and clear my head. But Mom, my siamese twin wanted to come with me. So I went back in the house and grabbed my camera and drove to a couple of pumpkin patches. Hey, this was more fun than Christmas tree lots!

Its hard for me to take just reference pictures because Mom's always wanting to step into the picture. But sometimes for show and tell, it gives reference to the scale of these pumpkins and squashes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/76057-punky1.JPG

These gray squaashes intrigue me to no end.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/76057-punky2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/76057-punky3.JPG

Oh, and I finished an acrylic painting (http://bunny-wabbitt.livejournal.com/20295.html). I think I'm averaging one a year. :lol:

Pat Isaac
10-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Great pictures, Julie and those pumpkin patches are fun. One year we went to my sister's in Vermont and picked our own from a huge patch. Those big grey squashes are Hubbard squash. That is the only kind of winter squash I had as a kid. They are very dry, but stringy.
I like your new acrylic painting. Are the totems from a specific place?

Pat

LJW
10-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Julie, great pumpkin patch photos. Those first ones, where your Mom is sitting on one, are big - I've never seen one's that large for sale here. I think our growing season is too short. The only time we see really big ones is in the pumpkin-growing contest at the fall fair, where people spend a lot of time fussing over them, starting them indoors and using secret fertilizers. Looks like you had a beautiful day for your outing. (Moms can be persistent)

Your mask acrylic looks great. What kind of masks are they? They look Polynesian to me. Jane

wabbitt
10-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Hubbard squash! Thanks, Pat :) I was wondering if they were edible. I've always loved the colors and tastes of fall.

Re: tiki's. No particular place. We have a shelf of little tikis from Mom's travels to Jamaica, Hawaii, Mexico, Salvation Army store, etc. She bought a t-shirt last week with these tikis, the background is mine. Now it sits on the tiki shelf.

AnnieA
10-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Just dropping in quickly to wish Pat a bon voyage!

Julie the pumpkins and squashes are amazing.

I'll drop back by later...

CJMonty
10-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Just sticking my nose in here from Soft Pastels. Pat have a wonderful trip, look forward to your pics.

WOW, those pumpkins are amazing, can't say I have ever seen any this colour is this large here in Australia. Halloween isn't at all big here. Most of our pumpkins are the colour of your grey sqaushes. They are quite orange inside mind you.

Take Care and have a great week everyone.

Carolynn :wave: :heart:

Pat Isaac
10-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Arrivederci, everyone.....see you soon..with pics and tales...
and thanks all for the good wishes...
Pat

AngelaF
10-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi everyone ... just stopping by, late this week. Great pumpkin patch pictures, Julie. Your mom did help with the scale on that one, amazingly large! Looks like great fun going to those patches. Liked see some pictures of your mom, though it seems you may have quite a few, lol.

Glad to see you last week, Lindsay, hope you get some answers about your daughters illness, soon. I am sorry to hear it is continuing and is a mystery.

Hope this week is going better for you, Annie. Thanks for your time calculation story, I might say "triple it". At any rate, I am still working on the redo, things to do have grown, going slowly now because I have to get sporadic help from others for some things. I am viewing it more as a work of art now -- so many detail and coordination decisions.

Someday, the worst will be behind me and I will have a little studio room to go to and do art work, but that is a little ways off for now.

Has turned cold here now, hope it is temporary, could use some more70's weather for awhile.

Take care all, Angela

LJW
10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks for dropping by Angela. The weather here has done the usual post Canadian Thanksgiving turn for the worse, with rain everyday.

My new Holbeins have arrived, so I'm busy labeling them and working out the best storage/display arrangement. I've decided to put them in my Artbin trays on the top of my storage unit, and to put my Senns and Caran d'Ache in the top two draws of the unit. The Holbein array of rainbow colours is just too beautiful to put in drawers.

Jane

LJW
10-12-2007, 11:08 AM
I spent yesterday organizing and labeling my new Holbein complete set. Here's a photo of them. I've stored my Senns and Caran d'ache in the top two drawers of my storage unit (bought at Ikea - it works really well for art supplies), so they are easily gotten to as well. I've been working on a new colour chart. Now, I think I'll try a WDE photo to test them out. Jane

wabbitt
10-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Ooooo, ahhhhhh!!! How about a closeup of one of sticks? I'm curious about how you labled them. Are these the same trays they come in?

Did you say you got these at Jerry's Artarama?

Thanks all for the comments on my pumpkins. I've actually started a painting of it, turning my Mom into a scarecrow. I just haven't decided yet what medium yet, OP or acrylic. It's on drawing paper and from the test I did, it'll hold up to the acrylic paint.

LJW
10-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi, Julie. The white plastic trays are ArtBin trays which I had bought earlier for my smaller number of individually purchased Holbein and Sennelier OPs. The labels are file folder labels cut in two and wrapped around. I got the set at Jerry's when they had a 20% off sale, as well as a reduction on the set. I'm afraid I can't show a picture of the three wooden trays for the Holbeins as I'm using them elsewhere, but here's a picture of the wooden box they came in showing the plastic boxes that each colour comes in. (As a result of previous purchases of individual Holbeins I have some duplicates, so I'm storing them in the plastic boxes):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2007/72737-HolbeinPastelsboxsmalljpg.jpg

Here's a close-up of my labeled Holbeins, plus you will notice some of the new style plastic-tubed individual Holbiens which I had already purchased before I got the set. I like the tubes because you can actually paint by dropping the OP out a bit and thus keep your hands clean. The tubes are already labeled when you buy them:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2007/72737-HolbeinPastellabelingsmalljpg.jpg

PS. Did you see the scarecrow in the Pastel Strokes challenge I'm hosting this month? Jane

wabbitt
10-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Jane! You are sooooooo organized, you put me to shame.

I did see the scarecrow. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a midterm drawing and birthday celebrations, both will run well into next week. Work just kicked up a half dozen notches and we were asked for voluntary overtime. So right now, my pumpkin painting sits half drawn on my table until time demands ease up some.