PDA

View Full Version : Petroglyph Park

Dennis
10-07-2007, 06:39 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-07-2007/1222_petropark_dw.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Petroglyph Park
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting assignment from the plein air class I am taking. The site is petroglyph park near Holbrook, AZ. We will be visiting nine sites in all. We get about 2 to 3 hours to do a painting so I finished it at home. To see the other sites visited and work done by the students, go to www.carvingsinwood.com <br>and click on the paint brushes.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would be interested in lea<br>ing anything to improve my painting. You can't hurt my feelings, so be brutally honest.<br><br>Thank you very much for looking.<br><br>Dennis

kathrynlovespets
10-07-2007, 07:07 PM
great colors
great texture with the grass in foreground

toraman
10-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Its quite beautiful, except the front grass looks like it doest belong to this painting, you may somehow blend it to the background.

Corby
10-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi Dennis, I have missed seeing your work! It seems to have been a while. It looks like you are doing good things. The rock work in this is especially nice. The painting is vastly improved if you tweak it a bit. Where the horizon line drops down on the left, why not increase the size of that rock formation to work more equably with the other on the right. And the foreground grasses that have been mentioned, let them come up to and abut that neat ridge of rock at a lower angle and then soften that hard yellow edge that defines the grass area.!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2007/70790-1222_petropark_dw.jpg

Dennis
10-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Kathryn - thank you
Toraman - thank you and I am working on the grass - I agree it needs work
Corvus - thank you for taking the time to give me your ideas. I am churning them around in my head hoping something besides butter will come out. I think I will change the color slightly in the foreground to the red brown and reduce the hard edge. As to enlarging the rocks on the left ... hmmmm ... not sure here. I had originally thought I would add balance with color on the left foreground, possibly some small bright red/orange wild flowers sparsely placed. Need to think on it a while. I have two months before the student show. I am pleased enough with this one to include it (with a little more work) lol.