GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Joy of Girls
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 inches x 36 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Also posting here, a companion piece, 'The Joy of Boys', an earlier painting (2003) -- both included in my present 'Moments of Awakening' show in Toronto.<br><br>The Joy of Boys is oil on canvas, 18 inches x 24 inches.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

Dana Design
10-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Aha! What fun they're having!! Well done, Allan. And, good luck with the show!

kathrynlovespets
10-07-2007, 12:36 PM
both fantastic..so much joy

toraman
10-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Your realism is superb. However I think your paintings are too earthly for someone who searches enlightenment.

Corby
10-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Very nice! The painting in the "Joy of Boys" is extremely well understood and executed. Quite impressive.

ejtupi
10-07-2007, 03:08 PM
This painting is shocking and outrageous....
I mean, I had no idea anyone had a built-in pool in Canada.
Just kidding; I'm jealous of anyone who lives where it's warm enough to swim without a wetsuit in the summer.

I had to look at this a couple times before I agreed with the "joy" in the title, but you've sold me completely. Even if a couple of the girls in the middle look like they're having second thoughts, it's obvious that the kids on the outside of the chain are firing a bolt of exuberance through the others.... the girl on the right is beyond joyous, whatever the next level up from there is.

Wonderful treatment of the light in the water, somewhat reminiscent of Hockney. Great attention to detail, which is really one of your trademarks, of course.

Really excellent work.

I like the one of the little boy, but I think there's too much red in his skin, particularly the undersides of the arms. Maybe give a little of his color to the sort of pallid girls? Maybe also only post one picture per thread?

allanom
10-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks all for the very kind responses.

This painting is shocking and outrageous....
I mean, I had no idea anyone had a built-in pool in Canada.
Just kidding; I'm jealous of anyone who lives where it's warm enough to swim without a wetsuit in the summer.

I had to look at this a couple times before I agreed with the "joy" in the title, but you've sold me completely. Even if a couple of the girls in the middle look like they're having second thoughts, it's obvious that the kids on the outside of the chain are firing a bolt of exuberance through the others.... the girl on the right is beyond joyous, whatever the next level up from there is.

Wonderful treatment of the light in the water, somewhat reminiscent of Hockney. Great attention to detail, which is really one of your trademarks, of course.

Really excellent work.

I like the one of the little boy, but I think there's too much red in his skin, particularly the undersides of the arms. Maybe give a little of his color to the sort of pallid girls? Maybe also only post one picture per thread?

ejtupi: Really enjoyed your fun and complimentary feedback. I posted the wrong repro of the boy -- the colour balance was off, it was far too red. So posting a proper one. And I had posted it on WC back in 2003 and only posted it here now to show how it worked as a companion piece for my main post.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/4031-joyboy.jpg