PDA

View Full Version : Remembered Peace

susme48
10-07-2007, 02:39 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-07-2007/51170_rememberpeace.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Remembered Peace
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 13.75 x 9.25
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is another painting I did on paper. Again, just playing around to see if I could paint a picture from a picture that hung in my grandma's house for years. It is one of my greatest treasures, along with her rocking chair...I used to love to sit in her rocker and just be "in her picture", so there is alot of sentimentality in this picture. I can see the trees need some work, and the cows are sort of squishy...now it is time for you to say...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I still want constructive criticism....I feel such a need to express myself, so I want to lea<br> to do it as well as I possibly can. Thanks in advance!

Slurps
10-07-2007, 03:18 AM
Not sure why, but this painting is really putting me in mind of some of the beautiful Japanese art of the 19th and early 20th centuries. I'm loving the feel of this one, and actually your cows and the delicately portrayed trees on the right are what's doing it! Memories of people and times will sometimes imbue a picture effortlessly, and I think you've got that here. Wonderful.

susme48
10-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Thank you, Slurps! It's funny but I always thought it had an oriental feel to it, but, as you, have no idea why, unless it is the unusual size? The original painting is 16x6, a watercolor by Harold Lawes who was British and painted in the 1890's , from what I see online. Of course, all grandma had was a numbered print, but I love it anyway. Again, thanks!

YoungMum
10-07-2007, 05:01 AM
Haha! I was thinking the exact same thing about the japanese feel. It comes from the almost caligraphic lines of the trucks and branches of the tree! I love it.

Corby
10-07-2007, 03:31 PM
The oriental feel comes largely from the composition. An elongated vertical format (like an oriental scroll) and the mass of the composition hanging to one side , counterbalanced by an element on the left. Even the brushwork, as noted by YMUM has an oriental feel to it. The subtlety of color, based on rose and gray, also makes us think of Japanese scroll work. I think it is an excellent little painting. The only thing I would give some attention to are the two white elements on the left. They look like sail boats. Love the cows! A classic example of how we need not paint perfect detail to make a statement. When we are given enough information the mind has a sense of satisfaction because it as it were has a hand in the painting. It fills in the gaps. So our experience then becomes more than just looking. Nice work Susan!

ejtupi
10-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I agree with Corby on the undefined white objects on the left side. Otherwise, don't you dare touch a thing in this painting, because it's spectacular. Let me repeat: do not touch a thing in this painting except those white things.
This is gorgeous.

susme48
10-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Thank you, YoungMum, CorvusKorax (scroll is the word that my mind would not think of LATE last night), and ejtupi! I appreciate your comments. Umm...the two white things ARE sailboats, or they are supposed to be; as I said I copied this from grandma's painting, and I can see I made the water area alot smaller than on the original and the lower branch so thick that it blocks the fact that the water continues on into the distance...so, either extend the water so that sailboats don't look out of place? or take them out altogether? Here are the two compared (tho' I feel like I am comparing apples and oranges), and the areas with the sailboats enlarged; so you can see what I mean. Thanks for helping with this.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2007/51170-remembercompare3.jpg

susme48
11-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Well....I almost listened; I went ahead and tried to give the water a more continuous feel, by changing the one limb and the horizon. I still did not quite like it, so I took out the sailboats too...Hope ya'll approve of the few corrections and don't think I ruined it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2007/51170-rpeace.jpg

La_
11-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't think you wrecked it, but i do miss the horizon blocking the water in the distance, it gave it more of a cozy feel

la

ejtupi
11-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree with La completely. The water now looks like it's running uphill. Now, I thought I told you not to touch anything but the white blobs? You have to learn to trust me.... okay, don't trust me, you'll be better off in the long run....but, really, that picture was as close to perfect with the vegetation going across before as you can get....it's still beautiful, but darn it, I loved it... I would have accepted the white undefined things even, just as I'd accept the crooked toe on the foot of a woman....

I'm going to go sulk....

You're still doing great, but... do not overthink the picture.

MRSBB
11-17-2007, 07:32 PM
I agree with Ejtupi the first one was beautiful. I knew the white things were sailboats. I think they must have lost the kid in them, sailboats were fun. The 2nd one is fine too, but I'd start a 3rd one with the beautiful colors you had in the 1st. It han a lot of romance going for it, but then I'm kind of a dreamer.