View Full Version : Wild Magnolia

PERUGINA
10-07-2007, 01:19 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2007/112510-MAGNOLIA_4.jpg

WILD MAGNOLIA
30cm x 20cm

Arches 300gsm
Cold Pressed

This Magnolia was a little bit of an accident.

Magnolia's have to be my favourite flower... and here in my part of the world they have just finished flowering.

I wanted to achieve a bright background...think it's a little too bright... :confused: then to add some dark I added some Sepia in the middle.

What are your thoughts...

I am always at a loss when it comes to backgrounds...

Anyway considering this medium is still a mystery to me... I'm kind of happy this one turned out... even though it's on the WILD SIDE!:wave:

Lady Carol
10-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi Perugina, I think it is lovely and the background too. I also think you are doing very well with watercolour. It is such a hard media to manage successfully

I grew up in Sydney and we had a magnolia tree in our front yard. It flowered and looked very pretty. I have to say it is one of my favourite flowers too. But I have since moved to the northeast area of the US and they have simply magnificent magnolias. The trees are huge with hundreds and hundreds of blossoms on them. It is really stunning to see a tree with just flowers on it when few of the other trees in the area are still hibernating.
There are lots of magnolia flowers in the RIL. Have you checked out those images yet?

Charlie's Mum
10-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Quite stunning!
I think your w/c is working very well and I love the boldness of the whole painting.
Nice one :D

PERUGINA
10-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks Lady Carol... there are hundreds of houses if not thousands here in Sydney...where a Magnolia tree stands in the front yard... and they are absolutely gorgeous... I am trying to grow one here myself... I have noticed over the last couple of years since planting them.... that they are very slow growing... or perhaps due to the drought they aren't doing as well as they should...

I have contributed a couple of images to the RIL myself of a Magnolia I took in my parents' front yard... yes... they too have one there!

Thanks for your reply Maureen... :wave:

C_Line
10-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Absolutely beautiful...no crits here. I LOVE IT!!!

PERUGINA
10-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks C_Line... for your kind reply.

Thought I'd colour cooridnate my replies as well! :wave:

artinthebush
10-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Why do I kee comin back to this masterpiece?
Because it's so good. Give us more.
Bob

PERUGINA
10-14-2007, 01:12 AM
artinthebush... thanks Bob... for once again stopping by... "Masterpiece?" I don't think so! But thanks for the compliment... :wave: