PDA

View Full Version : Family Holiday (novice artist)

YoungMum
10-07-2007, 12:44 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-06-2007/118083_holiday.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Family Holiday (novice artist)
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 50cm x 60cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is an example showing my my current skill (or lack of). I know that is rather cartoon-ish but it is my best painting to date. I am unschool in art and am teaching myself by reading and practising. I can only improve!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Be honest, but gentle! I'm an amateur! I know I have a lot of areas I need to work on, any practical advice from artists would be greatly appreciated.

Slurps
10-07-2007, 03:14 AM
You have a great intuitive sense for how shade and shadows behave. I love the touch of the tree's shadow on the wall of the house. I'd like to see you bring the eaves on the right side of the house out just a bit to make your shadow there more convincing, and play a little more with defining the leaves in the tree. Perhaps darken the windows a bit to suggest more of the interior light's contrast with the bright day outside.
Nice job!

Dana Design
10-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Good comments and advice from Slurps! I'd also darken the siding of the house a bit under the porch as well as the porch floor...and take the question mark out of the window.

Corby
10-07-2007, 03:04 PM
The great thing about being an amateur is that you have all the joys of growing ahead of you! The painting is quite nice. It gives me a sense of welcome and I would like to vacation there. If you take one major item of understanding from this painting that you can use on your future works I would think it would be composition. When I look at the painting the first thing I see is the house. This is called a focal point. For a painting to be good it must have a focal point. In this instance the placing of the focal point is not good. far toward the left and close to the edge. And then the situation is worsened by the fact that our eyes are immediately drawn there and then they follow the path...out of the picture! If the house is moved slightly to the right and the tree foliage is pulled slightly over it, the house and the tree are wed and the painting has a better cohesion, that is everything sticks together well. Now when our eye hits the focal point (the house) it slides down the path to that marvelous boat which in turn like a great arrow points us to the tire swing, up the tree and back over to the house. We say OOOo! that's interesting and move in for a closer look! Our eyes stay in the picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2007/70790-Untitled.jpg

YoungMum
10-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Thank you all so much, you've been a big help. Oh my - there IS a question mark in the window!!
Corby - I see what you mean, thank you for the altered pic, I have read about composition and keeping your eye in the picture but wasn't quite clear on what that meant, now I understand.