PDA

View Full Version : Untitled and still on Easel

eyecandy2
10-06-2007, 10:23 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-06-2007/114934_VinelandSmall.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled and still on Easel
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 20 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Landscape in Vineland Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta and very pretty. Saw this scene and the effect of the light was dazzeling. Couldn't resist the desire to paint it even though I regretted the impulse after I started. Just so much detail to paint. Would like to hear any comments that might help me finish this painting and sign it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Did I capture the lighting and create the feeling of seclusion? What else could I have done to improve this painting that I haven't done?

kathrynlovespets
10-07-2007, 01:58 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!!! everything is delicately beautiful in this painting..colors are great..light great

Slurps
10-07-2007, 05:13 AM
Really gorgeous treatment of the light here, the water is very convincing, the colors are lush and vibrant. Fantastic scene, completely inviting. A real visual feast.
Couple nitpicks: plants on lower left are looking unfinished and out of place, as if done in a different style; elongated dark object on right lower corner, unsure what that is (a log? a path? not reading it clearly); shadows in left side of water, where are they originating?; tree in middle has a shadow that seems inconsistent with others, tapers too quickly; tree in middle might be dividing the composition a bit abruptly, almost seems an obstruction.
Still, I love the picture. I think most viewers will. Great atmosphere.

Dana Design
10-07-2007, 11:26 AM
At times, we don't need to place every detail that we see into the painting. It seems that the 'x' you have with the crossed trees creates tension and really doesn't belong in this peaceful scene. I.e., the leaning tree isn't really necessary.

Other than that, it's a beautiful painting and I do love your colors.

Corby
10-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi Phill I am liking this a lot. I grew up where the woods was a daily experience. What I see here does not ring any sort of an alarm bell. I understand Dana's point about the tree. But there is great potential in the matter of those three trees of just catapulting us out of the painting entirely. The back slanted tree exercises a restraint on that outward movement. I would have gone just a bit further perhaps and placed some leafless branches across those two outward bound trees, just to stop the eye even more and point us back to the center. Now if I remember right just down the gully from that middle tree there is a good stand of huckleberry...if I have just beaten the black bear to it....

ejtupi
10-07-2007, 03:40 PM
The upper right quarter of this picture makes me feel I'm looking out a window at a brightly lit exterior. I think losing the leaning tree that extends up to the left out of the right border might help to remove the sense of there being an abrupt transition area. Not sure, but that's where the light seems to change.

I agree on the plants on the lower left. Not feeling very natural. That whole corner looks like it's needing some work.

Otherwise, awesome. Your touch with light is wonderful.

eyecandy2
10-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I just wanted to thank you all for the comments which I will seriously consider. And, yes, I really havn't finished that left lower corner, because I just wasn't sure as to how to paint what I saw and make it look convincing. As for the tree on the left, I put that there to bring the eye back into the painting. I'm not sure if it really does that, and on the right lower corner is a foot path. I know that I've failed if there is doubt as to what the area represents. I'll try to make it more convincing. And thanks again for your comments.
Phil

eyecandy2
10-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I just wanted to show the finished painting to you. I did take all of your comments very seriously, but I did decide to leave that bent tree on the right side of the paintin in. I think that it helps to keep the eye in the painting. But, what do I know? I'm only a student artist at the ripe old age of 83.

ejtupi
10-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Gotta like any 83 year old who's calling himself Eyecandy. I hope you're still posting 20 years from now, because you do absolutely beautiful work.

And slow down when you drive by my house. I need the sleep.

Dhuot
10-13-2007, 11:52 PM
I came back many many times to that painting not knowing what to say or what how to answer to your question,
so I'll just say "nothing"
Beautiful work
and you did capture the loight
I can almost hear silence from it all
:)

solonite
10-14-2007, 08:00 AM
I love this. Many times I have walked through the woods and you have caught the feel.

Candices_Creations
10-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Eyecandy..your paintings are beautiful . You've captured the light so wonderfully in this particular painting. I've visited your website ...and was very impressed. I even like your nickname....okay...so my name is Candy..(smiling )...keep sharing your work ...