GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Beach House
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 15x19
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Some friends let us stay in their beach house recently and I'd like to thank them with a painting. This is not my normal thing and I feel like something is missing or not quite complete but I can't quite figure it out. I'm tempted to scrap it and start all over on yupo or do more of an ink with just a little color wash, but then I think it's almost there and maybe I can fix it. I'm just not sure.<br><br><br>Digital photo with and without flash.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Are the colors off? Maybe the sky and/or the house need to be more intense? Is the yellow not quite the right complement to the purples?<br><br><br>Other ideas? <br><br>Any help is appreciated- I want to get this project done so I can move on.<br><br>Thanks in Advance!<br>Lara<br>

hward
10-06-2007, 08:12 PM
I think this is a very pleasant painting. I have two crits. Maybe it's the photography, but the leaves at the top of the palms are a bit dark.

More importantly, the perspective in the foreground is off. The house looks as if it's sitting on a giant tan cylinder, rather than at the end of a nice driveway.

On the positive side, the colors are jaunty and the texture is uniformly good, and both work harmoniously with the composition. In the intangible column, the painting is tasteful, original, and has an air of authenticity.

I might give a tiny bit more texture to the yellow siding of the house.

Slurps
10-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Suggestion: take another photo, but try to square up with the painting so you don't distort the image. Only way to tell if there's anything going on in your perspective. Right now, the window on the right seems to taper down from one side to the other.
Same thing with trying to get the paper to lay flat when photographing it. It seems to be curling.
Railings and posts on the porch/balcony are a bit too uniformly colored with sharp outlines. Need to shade, soften lines.
Excellent colors in this picture. Very close to being done with minor tuning. Nice.

Corby
10-06-2007, 09:28 PM
It is very difficult to make an estimation of a photo that is just totally out of edge alignment. So, even if not totally accurate I aligned this using what was given. The thing that becomes very apparent then is that much like a real building that does not look good without plantings to anchor it...so it is with a painting. The house needs a setting of plants or other to tie it to the ground. There needs to be a deal more contrasts as well to establish distance. Note what a difference is made just by bridging the gap in the loose ended entry to the yard... this work up may prove to be of some help. A very nice gift for house use!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/70790-Untitled.jpg

kathrynlovespets
10-06-2007, 09:42 PM
your friends will absolutely love it
period

inkadink
10-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Thank you all so much- I see what you mean. We all seem to be in agreement that the driveway is a problem.

Slurps and Hward:
I will look again at the railings and windows once I get the foreground and background worked out. I think you are both right. And just a little texture to the siding would be a very nice touch. Next time I'll tape the painting down before photographing- I didn't think about the distortion.

CorvusKorax:
I love the edited pic. Thank you for taking the time to do that. Editing the foreground and background makes a huge difference. I got so stuck on making it look like the photo (why I don't really like working with photos) that I missed the bigger picture.

And thank you Kate for the encouragement!

Thank you for your help and compliments. How great it is to be able to do this and get help from other artists!!!

Lara