PDA

View Full Version : Mission Santa Ynez (upside down)

D.W. Flint
10-06-2007, 04:23 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-06-2007/108422_DSCI0001.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mission Santa Ynez (upside down)
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Fibre
Dimension: 8X10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was my first attempt at doing a painting using an upside down photo as a reference. This is something that will mess with your mind if you've never tried it!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Only posted this to encourage you to try it if you are so inclined. Good practice to see shapes and values...

La_
10-06-2007, 05:18 PM
working upside down is great for complicated details too ... like hands, faces, etc. lets you see without confusing reality with what you think you should be seeing.
Also works well to view your work backwards in a mirror

nicely done this

la

Corby
10-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I have always checked in a mirror but never thought of working upside down...grief...I have a hard enough time when the world is right side up...sigh...guess I need to try this at least once now that the idea has been dropped on the placid surface of my pool. My question would always and forever be: maybe I would have liked it better painted right side up? This image of the painting has color that should sing, but it seems over all bland. Are you using my DC?

D.W. Flint
10-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Yes, the colors are pretty putrid, but when I turned it over this is what it looked like. I'm going to try the mirror thing next...I have always checked in a mirror but never thought of working upside down...grief...I have a hard enough time when the world is right side up...sigh...guess I need to try this at least once now that the idea has been dropped on the placid surface of my pool. My question would always and forever be: maybe I would have liked it better painted right side up? This image of the painting has color that should sing, but it seems over all bland. Are you using my DC?

Dana Design
10-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I think this needs some real brights on that front wall. Show some shadows on the building. This will take it out of 'blandness'.

Dhuot
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh, how I love the overall grey colours in it
:)
I'm not so sure about the foreground tree
Lovely light

D.W. Flint
10-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for looking at this. If I ever do another one (upside right), I'll incorporate all your suggestions. Thanks....