PDA

View Full Version : Faking it

Brush-in-my-hand
10-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Hi everybody, this is where I stopped on a painting I've been working on about a week now. The problem was that I loved the reference photo, obtained from a CD I have with flowers in shade on it. I loved the composition, but the problem was that there was no direct sunlight on the flowers at all. If you know my work, you know that if there ain't no sun, there ain't no fun. So I set about
"faking it". I decided that the light should come strongly from the upper right.

I'm not sure I've got it all done correctly yet, and I don't call this one finished yet.

If anybody sees anything that bothers them please say so! I have looked at this until I am blind to it's totality, if that makes any sense.

Here it is: White Roses

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/62202-SunlitRoses1small.jpg

I meant to take pictures all along the way but I didn't do it. Here it is now, where I stopped to rest and let it talk to me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/62202-WhiteRosesSmall.jpg

Cia

painterbear
10-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Cia,
This is looking good. The light does seem to be coming from the upper right corner and flowing through the painting toward the lower left one.

I love this kind of rose and you are doing a lovely job with the shading on them. The leaves in the lower right corner are very nice also.

Sylvia

mhimeswc
10-06-2007, 11:30 AM
It's looking good, Cia! I have a hard time faking it myself, although I've tried a few times. There is really nothing like a photo with good light and shadow for flowers, but you've got something good going here.

Michelle

gemineye
10-06-2007, 01:45 PM
This is going to be a stunning painting!! I know it is hard to 'invent' a light source, but you are doing a wonderful job...those glowing, undefined flowers in the upper right looked very sundrenched...the darks really make the flowers pop. Can't wait to see more!!!!

rue d'oak
10-08-2007, 01:43 AM
Cia, looks like your light source is just fine...and that these roses are blooming under our eyes. Lovely ranges of color in petals and leaves. Intersting shape of the undefined flowers - good backdrop.

Jen

juneto
10-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Cia , Looks Wonderful !! You know what you are doing , carry on !!
Looks finished too .
Ready for a Mat .
June:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :) :wave:

kathrynlovespets
10-09-2007, 02:23 AM
stunning....

CWood
10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Very fine indeed! :clap:

Carl