GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lonely Pine
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The single most difficult problem I have with my paintings is knowing when to stop. I cant tell you how many times Ive gone beyond a good painting by not stopping at the right time. You try to fix this or that and you lose what you have in an attempt to make something already good better. In the end you you're left with only your memory of what you lost. It can be frustrating.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Heres my latest, should I stop?

Ladyred
10-06-2007, 01:36 AM
I like the sky, composition, color. I do feel the pine tree is a little to large in contrast to the rest of the painting. Great sky.

Ronni
10-06-2007, 04:36 AM
I like the good controlling feel here. Lonely but supervised and calm, beautiful.

thomas w
10-06-2007, 08:52 AM
I don't know if it's the photograph but it looks to dark overall. Otherwise I like this a lot, great technique and style, you can see just enough of the brushstrokes. The colors work well for me also. Nice job.
Thomas W

toraman
10-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Another good painting, simple and beautiful.

billmahler
10-06-2007, 10:27 AM
It's a marvel that after bezillions of attempts from the cave people forward at painting a field, some mountains and a sky, someone can still come up with something fresh, new and beautiful.
This is a lovely painting. It's hard to analyze something so honest and pure and simple. It's just lovely.
With regard to prior versions.. I take a picture now and then if I have something that I like before going on.
Usually it's not as good as my mind remembered it!

allanom
10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm guessing that this is not a good exposure on the repro -- it's dark and could use some enhanced brightness / contrast. It conveys the feeling of the title, however, the tree shape could be a bit more dynamic and the building, if painted a bit more precisely with sharp and straight edges, would be more than just an amorphous clump and stand out as man-made, not just a piece of nature.

kathrynlovespets
10-06-2007, 11:55 AM
oh my gosh!
fabulous brushwork and everything

John Jaster
10-06-2007, 12:05 PM
The darkness whether planned or due to the photo adds to the feeling of loneliness. And I especially like the big sky with the whispy cloud action.

I'd say yes you can stop, and I'm going to follow with a few ideas but I still think you should stop...

The long thin band of trees in the distance behind the house throws me off a little because it ends behind the house/barn and compared to the open space on the other side of the house it almost optically makes the horizon look misaligned. Also the house is more roof than walls and that can be the case but usually is not. Finally, unless this house has been abandoned a long time you may want to add evidence of a path leading to it.

Corby
10-06-2007, 04:47 PM
So fresh and buoyant! And at the same time the color seems elegant and refined. I do not though feel it is finished. The composition you have chosen is what is known as a "Steelyard" The large image to either side must be balanced by a smaller image on the opposite side. here just the smallest jump/bump in the tree line on the right side works. Marked by "X" The other thing that needs worked on is the abrupt hedge of vegetation you have placed across the front. As is it works like a visual wall keeping us out. blend it back and lighten it as you go see we then get a sense of continuity with the land behind it. Our brain then tells us from what we see that we can just walk on through and into the painting. Three"X" mark the spot. Only you however can determine if you are done with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/70790-88703_house.jpg

collectr
10-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Id like to thank everyone for your comments.

Corvus, I agree totally with your comments on the front vegetation acting as a barrier. I had attempted to carry it further into the painting but wasnt happy with my attempt so I painted over it and moved onto other areas of the picture. Ill try again to soften the transitional area or maybe create a path thru the vegetation and into the picture.

Regarding your comments on the compostion I dont agree. I really didnt want a steelyard compostion. I was going more for an ell or rectangular. I think that the mountains on the right behind the trees and the sky above them add sufficient weight to balance the main upright and make the compostion work.