GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Symbol of Power
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Probably not for the last time you will hear me complain about this awful DC It has an absolute orgy of zonkering color if there is white and or Alizarin Crimson...? Anyway other than botched color all over the place, the image is disce<br>able

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interested in any technical tips you can give me. And above all I need to know if the painting is "hohum,goodbye" or if interesting, attractive or whatever and why.<br><br>The painting is based on Revelation chp four, verses six through eight. John sees four Living creatures that reveal aspects of Jehovah's heavenly organization. The Bull is the second creature and symbolizes power... just to give you an understanding of what the painting is about.

kathrynlovespets
10-05-2007, 06:32 PM
at first i was thinking that i'd like it better if he were in red and there were more yellows and reds and oranges....

but the light blues and purples etc...are a great contrast to that fabulous, intense face that kind of jumps up and surprises you because the colors are so soft

toraman
10-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Nice painting, not much to improve for me.

Paulafv
10-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Good colors and good painting; not my cup of tea. Looks like Arnold in his heyday.

Slurps
10-05-2007, 10:16 PM
I must be reading a different bible than you, because this doesn't come to mind when I look at the verses you cited. I would like to see something in this picture that speaks of " in front of the throne was something that resembled a sea of glass like crystal". If the eyes in your picture are supposed to be on the "wings" of this one beast, I'm not reading the "wings". Lots to think about in this picture, but this isn't anything like what I would imagine the author was seeing when these verses were written.

Sorry, that's just my take on it.

Corby
10-05-2007, 11:46 PM
It would have helped had I checked that I actually had the text I wanted! here is the right scriptures:

Revelation 4:6-8 NWT

6 And before the throne there is, as it were, a glassy sea like crystal.

And in the midst of the throne and around the throne [there are] four living creatures that are full of eyes in front and behind. 7 And the first living creature is like a lion, and the second living creature is like a young bull, and the third living creature has a face like a man’s, and the fourth living creature is like a flying eagle. 8 And as for the four living creatures, each one of them respectively has six wings; round about and underneath they are full of eyes. And they have no rest day and night as they say: “Holy, holy, holy is Jehovah God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is coming.”

The above words speak for themselves. I chose to center in on what I thought the second living creature who had the face of a bull might look like. The six wings are indicated. With the two upper and behind, he flies about. The lower pair he covers his face in the presence of God, and with the next lower pair, folded around him he covers his body or feet.

I wish the color had come through, it is in rich yellows golds reds and oranges...

Ronni
10-06-2007, 05:52 AM
I love your art among other reasons, because it contains so much immagination, and lights mine too, and pulls me into your magical worlds. I have just painted a similare vision Yehezkael (I know you spell it differently) who had also a vision of a wheel with four figurs who have four heads of a bull, an eagle a lion and a human, with a straight leg. You ask about controlling colors. I used to paint with oils, but I found good acrylics are more friendly and easy to use. They dry in few min, and you become more flexible and easy to change, cover and controll. With oils I get inpatient, and try to change a previous layer and it all mixes and become a mess. I love oils for landscapes and still lives, which the very ecaxt color is so important, but story immagined scenes like this one of yours, not copied from nature, I suggest you to do with acrylics.
Your bull is wonderful and powerful and festive. Ronni

John Jaster
10-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Your bull is a stud. Also I really like the eyes throughout the wings.

I wish either more of the blues appeared in the wings AND/OR more of the other wing colors appeared in the bull. The portion of the wings appearing under the chest throws me a little - almost makes the wings look more like a feathery wardrobe. And maybe it's the photo but the bull is just a wee bit off center.

tony1
10-06-2007, 02:38 PM
This is great. The bull looks very powerful as it should. The eyes are fantastic. The only thing I had an issue with were the wings. The lower wings are fine. The side and upper ones I have a problem reading as wings, of course it may just be me. I think the yellow edges, and the red/blue inner/under part are too incongruous (sp?). I understand you're trying to illlustrate the top and bottom of the wings there. Maybe some darks under where the yellow over comes the red/blue underneath would give more of a cupped affect.

Again, it's may all be me.

I do like it a lot.

Corby
10-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi Tony, no it isn't just you. I in fact redid the wings once. It really looked Byzantine! And they still do not work. I was aiming for exactly what you said. I may go ahead and work them out around the eyes. I really dont want to do anymore eyes! Thanks Tony

Hi John, Well observed, the bull is a bit off center. I never measure anything...else I really get it off! I wanted to paint the bull in a separate family of color from the wings because I wanted the wings to really catapult his figure up and forward. In the actual painting it is most startlingly effective. The forward wings are meant to clothe the figure, so your conclusion is apt. maybe I should add a white robe so he wont look so much like a stud? My mind boggled at how such a creature would manage a robe...talk about armholes! Just have to remember it is only a symbol.

Hi Ronni Thanks for the suggestion of acrylics. My problem here was not however with painting the picture (oils are so obedient) it was this wretched expensive camera that doesn't seem to be able to take a decent photo. An old $3.00 Brownie would do better. Yes I know the account in Ezekiel you speak of. There is another in the opening chapters of Daniel. It was also Cherubs posted at Eden to keep the now unclean man and woman out. There seem to be many types of Cherubs. All are close to Jehovah and concern themselves with his Holiness and Sovereignty. I am glad you like the bull. I dont know if I will do the other three or not.

Hi slurps Sorry about posting the wrong text. I do appreciate your comments on those wings. What a bother they have been! hehehe I have trouble just getting my hair combed in the morning. It would be devastating to have to keep all that plumage in order...

Thank you Toraman, glad you looked in! And Kate you seemed to have penetrated the awful photo and read what I had actually done. Thanks for mentioning the startling quality of the bulls presence. I was pleased with that myself.

Artmakr
10-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I hope you do the other 3 :)

Light is coming from the top, in this picture, i think you can create a bit more drama by making some of the shadows darker, for example under the chin. and on certain portions of the wings.

in life, the brightest lights go next to the darkest darks.- maybe that will be helpful,

but do paint the other 3!

Corby
10-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks ming, good advices. I think I will go back in with some glazes and give some attention especially to the wings. Darkening next to the pale yellow will at least increase the depth there and maybe they wont look so flat.
I have already got the drawing done for the "Fourth Living Creature", the symbol of wisdom. Thanks for the encouragement!

Thom Byrd
10-08-2007, 07:17 PM
:thumbsup: :clap: nice painting...however a symbol of power would not have his knees knocked together...:D ...body language stuff:rolleyes:

Bevahlee
10-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I really like the color in this and the intrigue. I think the wings don't tie to the body. Had this same problem myself. Might bring them over the shoulder and beginning at the shoulders.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/54805-bull.jpg

Corby
10-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Tom! That is soooo funny! I hadn't noticed the shape and proximity! :-)
Thank you Beverly. I like what you have done.I considered it but my laziness prohibited me from trying it out! I probably will do some rework on it. I am learning stuff from the second one that I can apply back to this first one. The second one (The Symbol of Wisdom) is now in the WIP section.

Bevahlee
10-08-2007, 09:05 PM
ah Tom is so right. Those could be turned into eagles

Corby
10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
heheheh... I am so glad Tom told me about that! What a different view! Now all I can see is a pajama party! Its interesting ho0w we can get something in our brain and thats all we can see...even when what we are painting looks entirely different! Thats one of the greatest things about the WC! It gives us all of those unconditioned eyes to report what is really there! IF THEY SPEAK UP. Thanks Tom. In order not to run this through the works again, here is more or less what I will do with it. The idea of eagles is nice but too far outside the parameters I have set for myself in these four images.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2007/70790-70790_wcbull.jpg