PDA

View Full Version : Artwork based on Egyptian Art

Rob_Barrett
03-16-2001, 06:46 PM
I've been doing a little research into Ancient Egypt (for my GCSE exam piece), and have been told I need to include some kind of Art History, or examples of work by well-known artists. I was wondering if anyone knows any artists who have created any works based on the art of Ancient Egypt?

Thanks,
Rob Barrett

sgtaylor
03-18-2001, 11:46 AM
A great number of artists have created works loosely based on the Art of Ancient Egypt, but I would emphasize the word loosely.

Probably the most famous works (although not by particularly famous artists) are the engravings done by artists in the employ of Napoleon, published originally as Description De L'Egypte and recently republished in English as Monuments of Egypt, however these might not be the sort of thing you are looking for as, although they are exquisitely done, they were intended more as documentation than as fine art.

Many famous artists have treated Egyptian themes, but not necessarily in the Egyptian style. Cleopatra VII has been painted by such notables as Michelangelo, Jean-Louis Gerome, Giambattista Tiepolo, Jean-Baptiste Regnault,Lawrence Alma-Tadema, Sir Joshua Reynolds, and Gustave Moreau among many others. Of these, only the Gerome shows any influence at all of the Egyptian style, and even that one not much.

There are of course any number of paintings inspired by Egyptian stories from the Bible, but again, these paintings are all done in the style contemporary to the painter, and not in the style of Ancient Egypt.

There are many people now, (not famous so far as I know) copying Egyptian paintings onto papyrus and selling them. These are of course copies, so again, may not qualify as fine art.

The greatest influence of Ancient Egyptian art in the modern world may have been on European interior decorators of the 1800's who were greatly influenced by the publication of [I}Description De L'Egypte.[/I]

I hope that this has been of some help.

Interested
03-21-2001, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Rob_Barrett:
I've been doing a little research into Ancient Egypt (for my GCSE exam piece), and have been told I need to include some kind of Art History, or examples of work by well-known artists. I was wondering if anyone knows any artists who have created any works based on the art of Ancient Egypt?
Thanks,
Rob Barrett

Hi: I can't answer this directly other than to say that a number of contemporary artists have used Ancient Egyptian imagery in goddess themes. There was an exhibit at SCAD last year the included this type of work.

There is an extraodinary sculptress who lives in Upstate NY near Rochester. She is married to a multifasceted artist/illustrator/writer/Renaissance man, Jack Slutzky, Oatka Creek Studios.

If she uses her married name professionally, I think it would be Adrianna Slutzky. I know her husband better than I know her. She does a lot of female imagery and I remember a really great piece that sits in front of Jack's studio that is absolutely inspired by Egyptian imagery. Wish I could give you more info.

Try the white pages for the area and look up Jack Slutzky.