PDA

View Full Version : What is this flower?

ticktock01
10-05-2007, 06:27 AM
I took photos of these flowers at a local park yesterday. The waterlily I could identify, but I can't remember the name of the second, multicolored flower. Can anyone help?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/ticktock01/Misc/PinkWaterlily2.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/ticktock01/Misc/PrettyflowerforWC.jpg

Skyenorth
10-05-2007, 06:40 AM
You managed to upload an image, that is fantastic I was in the lost in space thread eating ding dongs!
Anyway I have a pond in my garden and yes I have the water lily which is out here too over in the wilds of Scotland it is glowing in the morning sunshine as I type.
The second flower looks to me like a member of the primula family and I would like to ask you if this plant was in fact growing by the pond as in wetland or a damp area. Its the leaves that give it away for me and also the form of lots of clusters of flowers. Now what is confusing me is that all of my primulas which grace my pond area are now well over and were at their best during the spring and early summer.
Beautiful photos by the way they really make me feel so happy when I look at them, thank you.

Yorky
10-05-2007, 06:42 AM
I think maybe the second flower is a Lantana - used in hanging baskets over in the UK.

Doug

ticktock01
10-05-2007, 07:05 AM
I think maybe the second flower is a Lantana - used in hanging baskets over in the UK.

Doug

Yesss! That's it. I just couldn't remember the name. It wasn't growing in a wetlands area, but on a small hill. I believe it is an annual, but I'm not sure about that. I just like the multi-colored aspect of it.

jeanvrb
10-05-2007, 07:12 AM
I agree with Yorky - it is Lantana. I have some in my flowerbeds here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. They grow very fast in this warm weather. They will take over a flowerbed if your don't keep them trimmed. Mine don't die back until the temp gets several degrees below freezing. Then I trim them back and they quickly show up with flowers in early spring. I have one bush that is about 4 ft. tall, but I think the one in your photo stays smaller, about 18 inches. I have the color of the one in your photo, plus one that is pink and yellow. There are other colors also and are easy to root.

Good photo!!!!

Jeanette

Lady Carol
10-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Definitely lantana. We have a category of lantana (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=3554)in the RIL. I know it was made recently by us the RIL mods. You can check out other colours that lantana comes in.

PERUGINA
10-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Yes I agree Lantana... a weed here in my part of the world... and not very well liked... we are currently trying to erradicate it... with no success...

Charlie's Mum
10-07-2007, 05:02 PM
I thought I'd commented!

Anyway, weed or no weed - all depends on your point of view (and the prolific growth!) - I think the colour's gorgeous and I'd like to grow it next year - so I'll look for it :D

mistiaggie
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
The top is a water lily of some kind. And yes, the bottom is lantana. We have a lot of it here and to some it is considered invasive, but I love it!

ticktock01
10-08-2007, 01:22 PM
I've seen them growing wild along the west coast of Turkey.

Here in the northeast United States they are sold as annuals in garden centers. I like the colors too and I will probably try growing them next spring.

hoofty
10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
the second flower is Lantana :) A favorite of mine.

ranunkel
10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Lovely photos!
I agree, it is a Lantana.

eggnshells
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi first time I posted in here and glad I popped in to check this forum out! I got some of those Lantanas! I bought some last year and planted them in pots but shot them out in fall. They have a wonderful fragrance! I got the ones that have orange, yellow and reds in them. They have a berries when the cluster of flowers die off..what about the berries?...I bought some more this year and was thinking of transplanting in separate pots to bring inside....Now I read they grow back....I live in Quebec, Canada ...with our winters...will it grow back or should I bring them in? Thanks Frankie http://www.picturetrail.com/eggnshells

66bevbon
10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Yes Lantana. I remember fields of it on Kauai!
Beverley