PDA

View Full Version : Fingers and the Spaces Between Them

allanom
10-03-2007, 11:09 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-03-2007/4031_fingersAndsmall.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fingers and the Spaces Between Them
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 27 inches x 36 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the painting I used for the invitation to my show, 'Moments of Awakening', opening on Thursday in Toronto. It's a diptych (two horizontal canvases).<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

kathrynlovespets
10-03-2007, 01:51 PM
this piece shows how something so terrible can still catch your eye and inspire you, whether it be inspire you to release tears or tell someone "i love you" or even inspire you to start seeing things you never saw before..like notice the blue sky and green grass...and pretty orange flowers..and really appreciate them

i like the two pieces side by side

TTHOMPIE
10-03-2007, 02:42 PM

meart
10-03-2007, 06:39 PM
it does not hold together the picture is split

billmahler
10-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Sometime ago someone posted a thoughtful discussion here about how whether the choice of subject should determine the appeal or lack of appeal of a painting.

I've thought a lot about that.

For me that endless debate it is certainly relevant to this work.

I'm put off when someone uses charged symbols like the cross, the swastika, or the Twin Towers as shortcuts to the emotions of others, however well intended the use might be.

As a combat veteran, I'm put off when a politician uses a US flag label pin to evoke feelings of jingoistic patriotism when real patriotism often requires a lot more thought and effort than remembering to wear a pin.

Someone could correctly ask "Why aren't you put off when someone paints a gorgeous baby or adorable puppy and tugs your heartstrings?" and the point would be well taken, and I confess to my inconsistency-

but I find this painting manipulative and it annoys me!

If that was the artist's intent - mission accomplished!

kathrynlovespets
10-03-2007, 10:19 PM
i disagree entirely...it moves me

Slurps
10-03-2007, 10:53 PM
I agree with Billmahler. This is, to me, treacly, maudlin, and as he put it "a shortcut to the emotions". There is no subtlety to this, no nuance. It's not a fresh look at an image millions have seen countless times.

There are tens of thousands of "ordinary" people who die each day, of disease, of accidents, of violence, whatever; the best they could have hoped is that their family and friends will remember them fondly and miss them. I see as much tragedy, as much pathos, as much heart-rending pain in the obituaries in the local paper each day as I see when a few thousands die in a mass murder.

We don't cry for the Africans who are being slaughtered in the hundreds of thousands each year. We don't keep beating our breast over the million plus Armenians who were victims of a hideous genocide 100 years ago. Instead, we sob crocodile tears over something that we've magnified in our minds as some kind of attack on what every person holds dear, some misbegotten notion that this country is the only one where freedoms are cherished and preserved.

The juxtaposition of images in this invitation are nothing but cheap, tawdry, and obvious.

Allanom, I love your work. I've seen your creations on your web page. I don't like this. I apologize if what I say seems hurtful; I won't apologize for the words, though.

kathrynlovespets
10-04-2007, 01:26 AM
i dont know if its supposed to necessarily show the sad, depressing side of the 9/11 attacks....or the brutality of it...not supposed to tug at your heartstrings

it's showing the beauty in it....:eek: that the flames coming out of the buildings like that were actually strangely beautiful..like flowers

or rather, just how ordinary it is....like flowers....in the world, there is good and bad always--and to me, since i didnt know anyone in the buildings, it didnt really make me cry to see the planes hit.

Like Slurps said, there is SO much bad going on all the time

so this painting duo shows that while there is a great deal of beauty and peace in the world, there's also plenty of hate and ugliness there to slap you in the face when you least expect it...

and that's just life
bad/good
yin/yang
burning buildings/flowers

allanom
10-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Kathryn: I appreciate that this piece works for you.

meart: The idea of a diptych (as I identified the piece) is to juxtapose two separate images for the resonance that is created between them.

I understood that the image of the attack on the twin towers may yet be controversial to some, but I judged that it has now reached iconic / archetypal status and felt comfortable using it as a result. I decided, as part of my show theme (Moments of Awakening) to include darker aspects of life on this planet, along with moments of transcending bliss, etc. And in the case of this piece I decided to pose the horrific image of the destruction of the towers against a beautiful phenomena of nature for the dichotomy of that juxtaposition (Fingers and the Spaces Between Them -- a Buddhist-inspired theme). It works on various levels for me, but, obviously doesn't work for billmahler and slurps at all. I disagree with the dismissal of the piece as merely using the image as a "shortcut[] to the emotions of others". That was not my honest intention. However, I have nothing but respect for the right of the two to their opinions.

And, billmahler: if you didn't like this one, I dare say you are going to dislike the one in my next thread even more.

Grob
10-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Why? Did you try other juxtapositions? Why did you choose this one? I suspect you want the audience to try and decode this. It's not speaking to me.

billmahler
10-04-2007, 07:12 AM
And, billmahler: if you didn't like this one, I dare say you are going to dislike the one in my next thread even more.

I can't wait to see it.
We disagree on this one and if we do on some more - so be it - but you're a serious, thoughtful artist and I'll look forward to seeing as many postings as you can produce.

allanom
10-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Why? Did you try other juxtapositions? Why did you choose this one? I suspect you want the audience to try and decode this. It's not speaking to me.

It is what it is. If it doesn't speak to you, so be it. Thanks for taking the time to consider it.

Paulafv
10-04-2007, 09:57 AM
No composition. No beauty. No taste.

allanom
10-04-2007, 10:28 AM
i dont know if its supposed to necessarily show the sad, depressing side of the 9/11 attacks....or the brutality of it...not supposed to tug at your heartstrings

it's showing the beauty in it....:eek: that the flames coming out of the buildings like that were actually strangely beautiful..like flowers

or rather, just how ordinary it is....like flowers....in the world, there is good and bad always--and to me, since i didnt know anyone in the buildings, it didnt really make me cry to see the planes hit.

Like Slurps said, there is SO much bad going on all the time

so this painting duo shows that while there is a great deal of beauty and peace in the world, there's also plenty of hate and ugliness there to slap you in the face when you least expect it...

and that's just life
bad/good
yin/yang
burning buildings/flowers

Kathryn: I may just post this next to the painting...:O) I couldn't have expressed it better myself. Thanks, and Namaste (bowing :O)<

Paulafv: "No composition. No beauty. No taste." Thanks for taking the time to express your opinion.

TTHOMPIE
10-05-2007, 08:47 AM
You hurt me. You offended me. Shame on you. Double shame on you that you don't care.

allanom
10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
You hurt me. You offended me. Shame on you. Double shame on you that you don't care.

????? Explain please.

Allan

allanom
10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Is anyone else having trouble starting a thread on this site? I have been trying for the past several days and keep getting a message that my browser isn't picking up images from my computer. I tried, but I can't even upload any more pix to this thread. Anyone?

toraman
10-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Server is down, read the announcement.

Dana Design
10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
The server has been up and down and the uploading image thingie has been troublesome. It's being worked on. Don't give up.

TThompie, I don't know what you meant by your response. I saw nothing extraordinary in any of the responses.

meart
10-07-2007, 08:03 AM
I agree with Billmahler. This is, to me, treacly, maudlin, and as he put it "a shortcut to the emotions". There is no subtlety to this, no nuance. It's not a fresh look at an image millions have seen countless times.

There are tens of thousands of "ordinary" people who die each day, of disease, of accidents, of violence, whatever; the best they could have hoped is that their family and friends will remember them fondly and miss them. I see as much tragedy, as much pathos, as much heart-rending pain in the obituaries in the local paper each day as I see when a few thousands die in a mass murder.

We don't cry for the Africans who are being slaughtered in the hundreds of thousands each year. We don't keep beating our breast over the million plus Armenians who were victims of a hideous genocide 100 years ago. Instead, we sob crocodile tears over something that we've magnified in our minds as some kind of attack on what every person holds dear, some misbegotten notion that this country is the only one where freedoms are cherished and preserved.

The juxtaposition of images in this invitation are nothing but cheap, tawdry, and obvious.

Allanom, I love your work. I've seen your creations on your web page. I don't like this. I apologize if what I say seems hurtful; I won't apologize for the words, though.well said:thumbsup:

meart
10-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Kathryn: I appreciate that this piece works for you.

meart: The idea of a diptych (as I identified the piece) is to juxtapose two separate images for the resonance that is created between them.

I understood that the image of the attack on the twin towers may yet be controversial to some, but I judged that it has now reached iconic / archetypal status and felt comfortable using it as a result. I decided, as part of my show theme (Moments of Awakening) to include darker aspects of life on this planet, along with moments of transcending bliss, etc. And in the case of this piece I decided to pose the horrific image of the destruction of the towers against a beautiful phenomena of nature for the dichotomy of that juxtaposition (Fingers and the Spaces Between Them -- a Buddhist-inspired theme). It works on various levels for me, but, obviously doesn't work for billmahler and slurps at all. I disagree with the dismissal of the piece as merely using the image as a "shortcut[] to the emotions of others". That was not my honest intention. However, I have nothing but respect for the right of the two to their opinions.

And, billmahler: if you didn't like this one, I dare say you are going to dislike the one in my next thread even more. i understand the idea of a diptych..but it is still meant to work as a whole which this fails to do.

TScottDove
10-08-2007, 02:04 AM
Maybe the JFK assasination was comparable - though I'm too young to have any memory of it, but if any single event in my lifetime was a "Moment of Awakening," 9/11 would be it. Kudos on illiciting sure strong reaction. The power of art!