PDA

View Full Version : Shipping art

waynebrekke
05-31-2002, 01:42 AM
Wanted to get advice on shipping art, paintings specifically.

I paint on med to large gallery wrapped canvas. what have you found the best way to ship?

also, when selling on ebay, if one hasnt shipped much work, how and what should I charge for shipping US and overseas? I would like to just have a set amount. any suggestions?

thanks!

wayne

visit my website!! (http://www.wayneartgallery.com)

timelady
05-31-2002, 05:00 AM
You can go onto the USPS website and get prices for things based on weight - although you may want to go in to your local post office and explain the package so you can get a price based on weight, size, and insurance values.

As for packing I take all of mine to Mailboxes Etc (in the UK) and have them pack large things. They wrap it in bubblewrap, then a layer of corrugated cardboard, and then in the box. They have specific art boxes that are narrow for paintings. :) Then then fill in any gaps with foam popcorn. It usually costs about 15 for packing for a large painting, but since they do in 15 minutes what takes me a couple of hours I think it's worth it. Remember that all that packaging, even if you do it yourself, costs money too so figure that in.

I only do a set shipping price for works that can be rolled - most of my ebay stuff is sent in a mailing tube for that reason. For anything on canvas, large or small, I say buyer pays exact shipping costs. I also make sure the dimensions and weight are in the auction so they can get an estimate themselves if they like.

You can't really do an international set price, since you don't know if it's going to Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan....??? Vastly different shipping rates. :)

Tina.