GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: departure
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My wife and step-daughter about to part ways.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything.

kathrynlovespets
10-01-2007, 11:35 PM
that is so sweet....great job at capturing their expressions!
they obviously love eachother very much

ejtupi
10-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Thomas, this picture says so much more than the portrait you posted of your wife earlier. The complexity of the relationships among the three of you are so much richer (you as observer in this case), despite the joyous portrayal in the other picture. The sense of involvement is touching.

Lots of work on little things here, probably. The modeling of the arms, the length of the pointer finger on your wife's hand, the ambiguous flesh colored object sticking out of the daughter's back (part of mom's arm?), the abrupt lines that separate the mother and her child when they should be as close as two loving people can be who are facing a separation. It's beautiful how your step-daughter and wife almost appear to occupy the same space; I love that part of this picture and how it speaks to their desire for one more moment of a bond.

I would like to see something that tells me that not only are they happy in their closeness but in conflict at their parting. This picture reads more like a reunion than a departure. I'm not sure how to get that - that's your job - but I'd be a lot more satisfied if I sensed more of a feeling of them both thinking "Don't ever let me go". Do you get what I mean? I'm struggling to express that thought. The drama or tension or conflict or whatever you want to call it is missing....every departure of a loved one takes something from you that you will miss... that's what I'd love to see here.

La_
10-02-2007, 11:57 AM
perhaps the title should be 'it's been so much fun' ?
'departure' brings up images of sadness and this is not a sad painting, it's full of love and happy memories.

la

Corby
10-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Yes the image is positive and warming. I always feel a loss of some sort at departures. (well most of them, two year olds in my studio endeavoring to emulate Picasso do not exactly endear me to their presence.) So I took note of the question. I think La has the right slant on it.

thomas w
10-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the comments, it was a challenge trying to express those ambivalent feelings of happy/sad at the moment of separation. They are both smiling and look happy but I wanted a sense of tears welling up in their eyes. The background is so dark and mysterious and their hair and faces so light, I wanted that contrast in emotions to come through. Thanks again.
Thomas W

RACHEL52
10-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi , I Love Your Work,and The Hair Is Soo Great, I Wish , I Wish I Could Do THIS. MAYBE ONE DAY , Lol Rachel.