PDA

View Full Version : Little boy and blue dragon

Maffet
10-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Hello to all ....
after some time, I am back. I needed to take few days off from work to finish hill of paintings which lay on my desk and scares me in my wild nightmares at night. I wasnt able to paint them being whole day at work - so I hope that this few days will solve this problem. This is Illustration for fantasy book. I will probably later cross post it in fantasy forum too.

O.k. technical stuff... size 30x44 cm ... bigger A3 size - dark blue canson paper. Umton watercolors mixed with same strange school watercolors (because of their milky quality :-)

Story ... suprise ... again book about dragons. Hmmm ... I am slowly breaking down. Some time before I tried to fight - telling to editors that I dont want any dragon book anymore ... but I always recieved book about dragons. Now I cooled down.... they are probably my destiny. :evil:

Here is my first sketch
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2007/8104-05_puvodniskica.jpg

Everybody were happy with that ... but I finaly wanted diffrent position of boy, because I wanted to have his face more visible ... and looking out from cover to distance ... and mainly because I found wanderful photo of boy from mum's old journals and I really loved his eyes and expresion. :evil:

here is second fast sketch reparing composition....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2007/8104-04_pracovniskica.jpg

And here is how it looks now after two hours of work ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2007/8104-06_boy_all.jpg

That little creature is something between cat and dog in the story - very strange fantasy animal - so I called to writer how she wants it to look like. She than sent me photo of her charles spaniel and said that it should looks like that but completly fantasy.... he heeeee..... and so I tried to do something between that dog and my cat and little teddy bear .... Uh! Crazy thing!
Here is detail...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2007/8104-07_boy_detail.jpg

:wave: :D

See you later my friends ... I am going to paint .... until my family will destroy quietness of my studio :evil:

painterbear
10-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Jana,
Goodie, I get a front row seat since I'm first one here.

The reason they keep giving you dragons to paint is because you are THE BEST DRAGON artist around! :D

I like seeing your sketches and your paints. Thanks for showing them to us. This is looking very good already.

Sylvia

mimitabby
10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
wow, that is great. I look forward to seeing the completed book cover!

olliewood0702
10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh boy a WIP of Janna's!! I'm looking forward to this one. Looks GREAT so far.

lyn lynch
10-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Yup, hard pressed to find someone to imagine a better dragon than you can. The little creature is looking so trusting up at the dragon-slayer, knowing that the boy will keep harm away from him. The boy is so young to have been given the role of dragon-slayer; he wants to stay a youngster having adults to take care of him but he has been thrust into this role and he will follow through with his mission growing up far before he is ready to...sigh...

loralee55
10-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Jana, This is fabulous. The dragon is wonderful and the boy!!! You must be working very hard to get this cover just right. I do think you are managing quit well. Much better then I could. I like the boys exprestion and the colors of his face are so real. Keep up the great work I cant wait to see more
loralee

Maffet
10-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Hello to all ... it's evening and I was working all day ....
well not exactly :evil: - I wanted to go only for 30 minutes to have lunch ... and than found myself watching cinderella with little Veronika for two hours. Ok. mybe tomorrow I will be better girl and will work more.

Fookie :-) lol! I know he is very young. He should be about 13-14 in the story and blue dragon lady is his friend and company on jorney :-))))

loralee ... Uh! That's not so easy. Everytime I touch paper with brush I am scared that I will destroy some important part. This is only shaded side of watercolors that if you do any mistake, you can delete is so easy. There are of course some ways, but it never looks so clear and fresh like first try.

I will try to show you today's results, but uploader is not working now after probably some site problem (it was down for an hour) - so I will post it later.

Yorky
10-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Another wonderful painting coming to life Jana :thumbsup:

Doug

yahooserious
10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Jana.... I can't wait to see the next installment. My 10-year old grandson LOVES dragons and dragon stories. I wish the book were going to be in English.... I'd be sure to buy a copy for him....

Emilie

gemineye
10-03-2007, 01:08 AM
:clap: :clap: Yippee...another beautiful painting...looking forward to watching it grow!!!!! Your dragons are always so amazing...and I love that boy's face!

Maffet
10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2007/8104-09_background.jpg

Hura! Upleader is working ... here is how picture looked yesterday evening
and there is closer view

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2007/8104-10_detail_withfire.jpg

Yorky
10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Wonderful :clap:

You are so talented Jana. This is going to be another winner.

Doug

Maffet
10-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Hello Yorky ... thank you so much .... and here is more specialy for you :D :thumbsup:

This is my today's work .... 4-5 hours of painting ....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2007/8104-11_dragonsbody.jpg

Sorry it's a bit deformated by my digicamera...

Yorky
10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks Jana, it's wonderful seeing your art come to life :heart:

Doug

painterbear
10-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh, look at those gorgeous scales on the dragon and the steam coming from his mouth. No wonder the boy is looking up and wondering if there is help on the way. :eek:

Sylvia

olliewood0702
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
WOW.....JANA.....this is amazing!! Wonderful work you've completed so far.

Maffet
10-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Hello ... just very fast visit to show you my final painting.
During five minutes we will have family dinner so I have to run away,
but I couldnt wait to show you results of my work today....

See you soon... with love from Jana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/8104-12_final.jpg

Yorky
10-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Well done Jana, you have a fantastic imagination.

Is that a saddle I see on the dragon?

Doug

painterbear
10-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Jana,
I know I would want to pick up a book with this cover and read it if I were a young boy. I love the blue background and night sky. The dragon is terrific and so is the young hero.

Doug, You have sharp eyes!

Sylvia

jcbarb
10-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Wow! Jana, I am new to the forum, and am not familiar with your work. I am so impressed with this dragon painting! Love the way the dragon is forming - the shadows and light are beautiful. I also enjoy seeing how this painting is progressing.
Barb

painterbear
10-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Barb,
You are in for a treat. Jana's paintings are always worth watching for. She does wonderful WIPs so we can follow along too. :D

Think I'll give her a Merit point for today, in fact.

Sylvia

Yorky
10-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Jana,
I know I would want to pick up a book with this cover and read it if I were a young boy. I love the blue background and night sky. The dragon is terrific and so is the young hero.

Doug, You have sharp eyes!

Sylvia

LOL I have IE7 Sylvia which lets you enlarge the page up to 400% - handy :)

Doug

Paulafv
10-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Jana,

Thank you for another beautiful painting and tutorial. I've always loved dragons since childhood and still do, older than a dragon, but still limber.

Great paintings and thank you also for sharing your life.

Paula

mack46
10-06-2007, 10:37 PM
:wave:

Bravo Jana this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us.

:clap:

Mack46

Maffet
10-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Hello to all :wave:

thank you for wanderful words and comments and I am happy that you enjoyed my painting.

Yorky :heart: specialy to you :-))))) Yes it is saddle, for that boy who will be in the future rider. Story is classical .... forgoten prince of old royal family. His parents were killed and so boy was hidden in a poor family and lost until somebody will discover his unusual powers. That blue dragon is young dragon lady and they will fight together to get boy's rights back. So all characters on cover are friends. Boy is not scared of dragon but he is scared of dark evil things in the darkness outside .... while in the circle created by dragon's body ... there is a safe and friendly place.

Sylvia thank you for merit points and also for your lovely post. When I will have better scan of bigger size, better colors and quality I will surely post link and show you. This was just first digiphoto

Ellen in Ont
10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Truly magical as are all your paintings Jana. I am afraid you will be painting dragons for many more years if they are all this wonderful. :)

lyn lynch
10-07-2007, 12:07 PM
hehehe, I thought he was to be slayer! So happy to ready they are all friends! Nothing to say about your works except JUPEE!!

Maffet
10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
:clap: Helloooooooooo!

Lol! I think I will be back in pen and ink for some time ....also I recieved warnings about another coming books .... uf! uf! I am affraid season before christmas will be extreemly busy. But it's always better to be busy than have a nothing :thumbsup:
I recived very happy letter from writer of the book. Lady wrote that I exactly matched her imagination she had when she wrote story. I am happy. This is what I love to hear most. .... that I matched writer's ideas. Her letter made me really happy..... I think I will make myself some good hot chocolate and will go to visit my parents to watch some nice movie ....to celebrate. (Well... what about May fair lady.... ideal movie for sunday evening :heart:

Oh I forgot ... here is a bit better version of picture...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2007/8104-12_final_quality.jpg

painterbear
10-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Jana,
That is such a wonderful complement about your work, that you matched the author's vision of what her characters and story were about. :thumbsup:

Sylvia

jaytee
10-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Jana.... this is soooo beautiful........ unlike Fookie, from the first sketch I thought the dragon and boy were friends.....

Your work always has such an incredibly 'Magic' quality in several senses of the word.....I am convinced that in many, many yers to come folk will be looking back at your work and saying you were one of the GREAT illustrators of the 21st century.

Your imagination, vision and ability to transform it into reality are second to none.

:heart:

rue d'oak
10-08-2007, 01:15 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jana, this is so amazing. Merit points from me, too. The streaming hair, the glow, the highlights that bring the scene to life -- but most of all I love how the forms emerge out of the blue paper...the look on the face. And that you were able to meet the author's inner imagery WOW.

Jen

Violetta
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Jana - This is truly wonderful work! It's no wonder you are asked to illustrate dragon books. You do such a superb job.

Jen said it so well, I can't help but repeat it--even the Merit point! :)

Jana, this is so amazing. Merit points from me, too. The streaming hair, the glow, the highlights that bring the scene to life -- but most of all I love how the forms emerge out of the blue paper...the look on the face. And that you were able to meet the author's inner imagery WOW.

olliewood0702
10-11-2007, 09:49 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
AMAZING finish Jana.....LOVE that deep blue! WOW the dragon has spectacular details!:thumbsup:

HarvestMoon
10-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Your work is so stunning- can you list the titles of the books you have illustrated? Do you know if they are available in the US?

Laura D
10-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Jana, I know you are tired of them but you were born to paint dragons! This is utterly fantastic. Your colors and sense of atmosphere, light - it's all wonderful. Bravo!

Maffet
10-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Lol :-)))) Thank you so much. Laura I think I was fighting against that but now I am o.k. with dragons again ... as I said they are probably my destiny :thumbsup:

:heart: he he JT .... I dont think so. There is many more better artists and even here on wetcanvas, but I simply love what I do.

Sadly all my books except two were produced only in czech republic and only in czech language :-( There have to be over 30 books from full beginning (ten years ago) ... but I think only half of them is worth to present and valuable. I wasnt very good on beginning and I was working and learning slowly. People who knows me on wetcanas longer probably knows that I changed my style a lot and one of the reasons why it's happend was wetcanvas itself. It help me grow. Uh... reminds me... it would be nice to create list of book from full beginning ... nice for profesional cv :-) ... good idea.

ameliajordan
10-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Jana this book cover is just ab fab!!!!!!!! I really enjoyed seeing the steps!!!!!

alija1001
10-25-2007, 08:33 AM
This is amazing. Looks very good. Well done.

giddy up
10-25-2007, 01:03 PM
:thumbsup:.....this work proves a very valid point......

in other discussions about Illustrators and them not being accepted by the
art community because of the illustrative nature of the work they create....
HOGWASH!!.....this piece is stunning and deserves to be seen and enjoyed
by all.......this ranks right up there with any top notch illustration I have ever
seen.....as well as a beautiful fine art piece.......that merits equal wall
space in a museum....

this work is STUNNING, ORIGINAL, wonderfully executed and designed...
and tells a story and is an absolute JOY to look at.......

can you tell I like it.....hehe......I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

:D fantastic

Greg

giddy up
10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
got so excited......forgot......Merit point from me too.....

:D Greg

happypaddler
10-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Jana - I agree with the others. You have an amazing talent and it truly is second to none. I am grateful for the oportunity to see you finished work and to watch this amzing painting come to life on your board is a special treat. You have a merit point from me too.

Maffet
10-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Greg and John :-) Thank you a lot for wanderful words and specialy Greg and to others for merit points :-)

Greg - illustrators havent easy life between artists. They are taken more like crafters than artists and their art is taken like less valuable and mainly it's sometimes hard to present single picture on itself because if you illustrate - from beginning you usually think about additional design, lettering and so on - so final painting looks sometimes strange with not very logical composition. Also you are not absolutly free as for topics you choose - because you have to match it to story. And it's also hard work. Well ... this was fantasy cover - so easy job, but if you do historical stories - in that moment you are turning from artist into scientit - researching very deeply before you can start even do sketches. I have to admit that if I would be absolutly free I would have a bit diffrent style - I am obsessed by very early medieval art. But I really love illustrating. It's so great feeling when you sit in train and somebody who sits next to you is reading book with your cover. That's a pure joy ... very quiet inner joy. For me sometimes a bit more valuable (and now I say something heretical in this community) than being central point on opening show of exhibition. Maybe I should visit also illustrator's corned of wetcanvas. :-)

BTW... this is out of topic and more idea for programmators of this site.

Hmmm sometimes is hard to deciede where to post it. ... there would be very nice Wetcanvas feature to have one document page with thread but with possible option that the same thread can be posted in more forums. For example if I could mark that link to this thread would be visible in watercolor, fantasy and illustrators forum - but all this links will lead only to one page. It would save many multiple forums, time of people (creating 3 additional threads in other forums), to gather discussion about one picture to one place and lower traffic on this site. Wanderf if this would be possible to create. I think many people would like that option.

Roun2it
10-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Beautiful, beautiful work Jana ........... I am one of the few who has seen Jana work at her art, she uses tiny brushes and awful paints but produces abosolutly stunning pieces. This is truly a masterpiece. Well done.

Chris Benjamin
10-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Hi I am amzed at your skills..so we get to see how professional artists work!! I am awed by the paintings so far and am waiting to see the end result. Fabulous work so far. All the best. Chris.

Yorky
10-26-2007, 06:33 AM
Jana, to create a link to a thread in another place, first find the thread and copy the URL at the top of your browser (highlight and CTL+C).

Now go to the thread where you want to place the link and type your text such as "see my new painting in the Pen and Ink Forum", highlight it and then click on the link icon above the window. When the box appears paste in the URL (CTRL+V) and click OK. Now you will see your text underlined, and when people click on it, it will open a new window with the other thread showing.

Hope you can understand that.

Of course we would love you to post your wonderful art here and links in the other forums :evil:

Doug

Maffet
10-26-2007, 07:28 AM
:wave: Thank you

Kev ... he he ... I know ... at home I dont have so horrible paints like I had in Charmouth. :p I use normal watercolors and these strange stuff I use for special light effect.

Yorky :thumbsup: I am not technical talent so I had no idea that it is possible I am running to try it. THANK YOU! :clap:

Here is final result.... BOOK COVER ... it's from newspaper advertisment and editor sent me that this morning http://www.maffet.cz/www/images/design/books/zpev_draku.jpg

I would love to ask professional illustrators one question. During computer editing and scanning of this picture I did mistake. I didnt notice that on home monitor but today I found it on more bright professional screen at work and I was really hurted. It's not so bad ... only one retouching brush stroke is visible on right bottom corner - I usually darken some areas to make black really black and go up with contrast and there is one forgotten place where is visible that it was edited by computer. Non art people will probably not even notice that ... but I know! Grrrrrrrrrr.... What would you do... I have two options:

1/ To play dead animal. Dont speak about it and say that cover is nice...
2/ Point it out. Apologize. Give some very little symbolical discount because of my artist's pride?

I dont know... it's really small thing, but it makes me angry, because it's not perfect for 100%

Yorky
10-26-2007, 08:15 AM
The cover looks beautiful Jana - and I didn't notice.

I would just say - excuse the photo and don't point out any particular problem.

If you had highlighted BOOK COVER, clicked the link icon and then pasted the url in the box you would have resulted in this: BOOK COVER (http://www.maffet.cz/www/images/desi...zpev_draku.jpg) without showing the complicated url.

Doug

VeronikaB
10-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I would love to ask professional illustrators one question. During computer editing and scanning of this picture I did mistake. I didnt notice that on home monitor but today I found it on more bright professional screen at work and I was really hurted. It's not so bad ... only one retouching brush stroke is visible on right bottom corner - I usually darken some areas to make black really black and go up with contrast and there is one forgotten place where is visible that it was edited by computer. Non art people will probably not even notice that ... but I know! Grrrrrrrrrr.... What would you do... I have two options:

1/ To play dead animal. Dont speak about it and say that cover is nice...
2/ Point it out. Apologize. Give some very little symbolical discount because of my artist's pride?

I dont know... it's really small thing, but it makes me angry, because it's not perfect for 100%

I am not a professional illustrator, but based on my experience in giving presentations, no one will notice unless you tell them. And it's such a small thing that it does not make the painting any worse. So I wouldn't tell. If you do, they'll remember that there's a problem with the cover. If you don't, they'll just know it's a great professional painting. :) Besides, they accepted it without a quibble, so they do like it!