PDA

View Full Version : AHA! and thank you all

IBPaintin'
10-01-2007, 10:05 AM
It might have been on Pastel Talk that I saw this post about Canson Paper.
I have been struggling with oil pastels and just got involved in the 100 sketch challenge.
The only paper our local art stores carries is Canson so I that is what I have been using, but was discouraged with the look when finished. I like the subject and the job, just not the paper. Then someone suggested using the backside of the paper. No Way!
This morning bright and early I thought, Oh well why not? Walla! I cannot believe the difference in the finished product. Night and Day! Thank You, each and every one! :clap:
While on-line last night looking for other types of pastel paper, as it had never dawned on me it could be the paper and not just the OP's, I found Sennelier Oil Pastel Paper. Has anyone tried this?
I am so pleased with OP's. Amazing what just a little adjustment can do.
I think I discovered this same thing many years ago with different aspects of watercolor paper. :D

LJW
10-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi, IBPaintin'. I have the Sennelier Oil Pastel paper and I don't like it at all. It has a marked texture which shows through the OPs layers.

I much prefer Artspectrum Colourfix paper which has an even texture, yet will hold lots of OP layers. It will also take wet media, so if you want to use an oil medium to blend your OPs, or you want to do an acrylic, oil, or watercolour underpainting, you can. I think the Artspectrum paper is the best overall choice and it comes in a variety of colours, as well as white. I suggest you give it a try, I think you will like it. Jane

IBPaintin'
10-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Thank you,
I'm glad to find this out. I will give it a try. What exactly is sandpaper? It talks about grit just like I'd use on my woodworking? Surely this isn't the same?

LJW
10-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi again. Wallis paper, another pastel paper which works for OPs, feels more like regular sand paper than the Artspectrum Colourfix does. Colourfix has a softish feel to it's surface. Both are archival quality of course, which ordinary sandpaper isn't. Jane

AnnieA
10-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi IB! Doncha love those "AHA" moments? :)

Many of the sanded pastel papers are pretty much like sandpaper, and it's sometimes suggested that newbies try a piece of wet-dry sandpaper, extra-fine grit, to see if they like a sanded paper (keeping in mind that as Jane mentioned, it isn't archival). Another alternative is to use the Art Spectrum Colorfix primer, that you paint on the surface of your choice. It creates a sanded surface too, just not quite as regular (the brushmarks create an interesting texture, imo) or as finely sanded.

Dakota offers an 8x10 sample pack of a range of pastel papers: http://www.dakotapastels.com/index_paper.shtml), so you can try a lot of them and decide what you prefer. And Dick Blick offers a good range of pastel papers at reasonable prices: http://www.dickblick.com/categories/pastelpapers/

Pat Isaac
10-01-2007, 04:34 PM
I, like you started with Canson many years ago and was not satisfied with the outcome. It really doesn't take layers of OPs very well and it is thin. Annie and Jane have given you good suggestions. I LOVE Colorfix. I have also started paiting on boards.....i.e. smooth clayboard and give it about 2 to 3 coats of colorfix primer. It has an entirely different feel than paper. Not quite as much give, but I do like it. I have found that the support is almost as important as the medium.

Pat

cat1lady
10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
If you are looking for something not as expensive as the colorfix you might want to try Strathmore. They make a 400 series pastel paper that was designed with oil pastels in mind and they also make a large sheet heavy duty paper that I like a lot, it is textured on one side and smooth on the other and can really take a beating.
I agree about the Canson paper; I felt like the pastels just got stuck and couldn't move.
I also like watercolor paper. You should try a variety of papers because everyone has their own personal style and preferences.
Good luck.