GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Emily -- Teacher For My Second Satu<br> Retu<br>
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11 inches x 13 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Thought I was finished with the paintings for my show, opening on Thursday. Decided to do just one more.<br><br>Subtitle of paintng is (Portrait of the Artist's Daughter).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

kathrynlovespets
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
she looks ghostly, great job on the eyes

Dhuot
10-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Allan, this one is the most intimate and warm one I've seen fom you (even if it's primarly cold tones), including your incredible "familly serie" a few years back.
I love the freshness of it and it's looseness.
The light source is incredibly well done
A winner :clap:

tbezesky
10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I like the quality of light and shadows. The eyes are penetrating. Nice work!

thomas w
10-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Just great! It's wonderful in every respect!
Thomas W

La_
10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
yup, hauntingly beautiful

very nice

la

allanom
10-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Kathryn, tbezesky, thomas and La: thanks for the kind comments.

Daniel: I appreciate your always generous reponses. The painting of my mother (Emily's grandma) I did for the show, title: 'Sadie, Bodhisattva of Loving-kindness' is flat-out warm and maybe the most imtimate piece, IMHO, I've done. Posting it here for your perusal.
http://allanomarra.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sadie_0029.jpg

RACHEL52
10-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi, I Think They Are Soo Beautiful ,but The One Of Your Mother Takes My Breath Away, Rachel

Branko
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I love the lips and the eyes. Awesome tones!

However, for both paintings its just too obvious that you're working from photos. The poses and everything are a tad lifeless and bland. I dunno if this is what you were going for, but just a personal preference.

floopy
10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
The portrait of your daughter is gorgeous. Nice working of the blue from her shirt and eyes into the face. Makes the whole thing come together. Her eyes are very haunting.

As for the portrait of you mother, this is an absolute winner. Her eyes are stunning. Also, in this case, I notice that you have used the green to pull it all together. I feel as if she is sitting right in front of me. Wonderful work.
M

Dhuot
10-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Alla, I must agree with you, your "mother portrait" is a very good work, honnest, real, warm and touching
:)

kathrynlovespets
10-03-2007, 10:18 PM
yes it's very intimate and sweet...i feel like i could tell this woman anything, your mother :)

Slurps
10-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I'd love to see a picture of your mom when she was Emily's age, and not to see if there's a superficial resemblance. Maybe Emily would like that, because she could see that some of the beauty of youth is replaced in later years by the beauty of a gentle spirit, a loving heart, a life of giving. You have some special girls in your life. That's so obvious. It's great that they get to have you let them know in this way.

allanom
10-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks all for the lovely and kind feedback.

Slurps: You prompted me to look in some old albums for a photo of my mom at Em's age annd I found a picture of her from 1937, when she was slightly older than her granddaughter -- see pic added. Thanks for your really beautiful connection between my "special girls".
http://allanomarra.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sadie17.JPG

pampe
10-06-2007, 01:47 PM
The resemblance of these both to you is striking

Both are really powerful portraits.

allanom
10-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Hey Pam:

Thanks for the much appreciated comment. Interesting how one can look like a whole lot of family members. Check out this collage of pix I took of myself, from about 10 -12 years ago, with various members of my family, including my 2 daughters, my son and my mother. Note, especially, the bottom two rows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/4031-spfamily500.jpg