PDA

View Full Version : October Pastel Strokes

LJW
09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the October Pastel Strokes challenge. Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.
* The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also threads in the Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel forums with links to the Pastel Talk project link.
* Interested participants create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.

* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things. This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Have fun with it!
* You may paint as many versions as you like, and they may be any size.
* Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

This month there will be two photos to choose from. Larger versions of each are available in the RIL. Do one or both. They are from the Spencerville Fair, our local fall agricultural fair now in it's 152 year. It retains most of the traditional agricultural competitions: for cattle, sheep, and goats; for chickens and rabbits; for the largest pumpkin; for the best flower arrangement; for the tallest sunflower; for the best pie, cake, or bread, etc. The first photo is the winning entry in the best vegetable arrangement. You will probably want to crop this one, as I counted at least 47 vegetables, not including the flowers! Larger version here:

www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79210&size=big&cat=3420 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79210&size=big&cat=3420)

The second photo is purely to have fun with. It is one of the entries in the scarecrow competition - I liked the visual pun. A larger version, not so closely cropped, is here:

www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79209&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=72737 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79209&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=72737)

I hope you enjoy the fall theme. Don't forget to comment on each other's paintings - that's part of the fun. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Awesome pictures, Jane. I hope I can get to this one this month.
Thanks, for hosting.

Pat

LJW
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
In case you are overwhelmed by the number or vegetables in the still life, I'm posting a couple of cropped images to give you an idea of what you might do. The challenge with this one is to be creative and come up with a satisfying composition from the larger scene. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Nice crops, Jane.

Pat

alija1001
10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Great pictures I hope to be able to do one of these.

LJW
10-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks, Pat and Gill. I'm looking forward to seeing your paintings. I have another another possible crop of the still life to show you, but the uploader isn't working today. Jane

LJW
10-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Looks like the uploader is fixed, so here's another crop you could try. Jane

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2007/72737-SpencervilleFairpumpkinsmalljpg.jpg

LJW
10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Here's my first painting. Sennelier, Holbein, and Caran d'ache oil pastels on 5 1/2" X 8 1/2" Beige Colourfix. Hope you like it. Jane

AngelaF
10-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Wow, Jane, nice crisp clear painting. Great job. I went to the fair where my mom lives, wish I had taken the camera -- glad you took some pictures. Though it is chaos here, maybe I plan a break to do this -- starting to feel so far removed from art. Angela

Paula Ford
10-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Jane, Your painting is gorgeous!!

Paula

Pat Isaac
10-03-2007, 08:29 AM
What a great painting, Jane. I love the shine on the pepper and nice work on the green leafy stuff......lettuce?

Pat

LJW
10-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Angela. I hope you'll give it a try if you get a break from renovations - I would love to see more oil pastel paintings here.

Thanks, Pat and Paula. Pat, I interpreted the green stuff to be leaf lettuce, I think that's what it was. Jane

ANGHWAR
10-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Jane

HOw well you have mastered the oilies, it is magnificent.

Anghwar

eyepaint
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Jane - thank you for the suggested crops. Great job on your pepper/onions/tomatoes painting. You say it's your first... how many do you plan to do this month? :)

LJW
10-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks. Anghwar and EP. I'm thinking, with 47 vegetables to choose from, there's at least three or four from the still life, plus there's the scare crow. How many are you going to try? :) Jane

eyepaint
10-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm thinking one or two - one of the scarecrow for sure, then maybe one of a veggie crop. :)

LJW
10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Great, EP. By the way, if you are having problems uploading images, as I am, here's a message Karyn (WC administrator ) put up in site announcements:

"There are a few parts of WetCanvas! that aren't working right now, and those may differ between different users. For some of you, the email system may not work and for others, you may not be able to upload images.

The problem is that WC! has been using up hard disk space at such a rapid rate. More space is on the way, but it is going to take some time to put in place. The email and image issues may be here for a few more days while the servers are being upgraded...."

Jane

eyepaint
10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the note, Jane. I'm hosting the WDE in the AMAE forum this weekend and - gulp! - cannot upload my images. Fingers crossed it works out ok. I have my images in the RIL so then the hiccup is in participants uploading their images. Charlie's Mum and Lisilk are in the loop :)

LJW
10-04-2007, 02:11 PM
EP, let's hope that they resolve the problems soon - what bad timing for your hosting of the WDE. Jane

artastic
10-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Here's my first painting. Sennelier, Holbein, and Caran d'ache oil pastels on 5 1/2" X 8 1/2" Beige Colourfix. Hope you like it. Jane

wow that is lovely! thought it was a photo at first glance, first painting? can't wait to see the rest! keep on painting!!

Tracer
10-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Great first picture Jane. The oil pastels make it look so perfect....makes me want to try oil pastels soon. However, I wouldn't even know what kind to try. I love the fall pictures you chose for this month. I am definitely going to give it a try...in soft of course.

Tracer

LJW
10-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks, Bonnie and Tracer. Tracer, have a look at the Getting Started in Oil Pastels thread in the Oil Pastel Studio, for information on materials. Looking forward to seeing your softies paintings.

Here's my scare crow. I found that there was too much straw, so I sat him outside on the grass, leaning against a straw bale. I changed his hands and feet to crow's feathers in keeping with the theme. Oil Pastel on Colourfix paper. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Great crow, Jane and I like the liberties that you took with the image.

Pat

pequan
10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Great job Jane, on both paintings...the veggies look so real, just like a photo and the crow is adorable!!! I hope I can get to do this project. Seems like I have missed a few months worth and really NEED to get back into it...thanks for doing it this month

alija1001
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi I have added a few more vegtables on to this. I had great fun doing this.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2007/78136-Harvest_festival.jpg

LJW
10-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Pat and Linda. Linda, I hope you'll try one or more paintings. The scare crow strikes me as a thoughtful character.

Gill, good going to tackle the whole image! Love all the veggies you included. The pumpkin and the cabbage are particularly well done, and your flowers are very cheerful. Hope you'll take on the scarecrow as well. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Good grief, Gill. You sure are ambitious taking on all the veggies and then adding more....great job.

Pat

eyepaint
10-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Jane - what a cute scarecrow. Don't know that he'll actually scare the birds away... maybe they'll perch on him instead.

Gill - you are ambitious! Way to go!! :)

alija1001
10-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks for your comments. I love using pastels.

LJW
10-07-2007, 04:43 PM
The results of the Fair competitions are printed in the local paper each year - they make for interesting reading. This year several men won big in the baking area, while in the 4-H competitions, with teenagers showing cattle, the sexes were equally represented. I'm sure that would not have been true here in the countryside 50 years ago. Anyway, I decided to make a cover illustration for the printed results, using bright saturated colours and lettering done with a template. The pumpkin, taken from the still life photo, is featured because the giant pumpkin contest is a favourite every year. (As you can tell, I'm not a graphic designer, but it was fun to try). Hope to see some works by others of you soon. Oil pastel on Colourfix paper. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Great cover Jane with the first prize ribbon. We have a bg fair like that in MA every year but it is aways north of here. Anyway they also have the giant pumpkin contest and I think last year the pumpkin readhed almost 300 LBS. they need cranes to lift them.

Pat

eyepaint
10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Jane - great graphic. I looked up Spencerville on Google maps and see that it's south of Ottawa on one route between Ottawa and Toronto. I might have passed near there years ago.

eyepaint
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Here's a crop of the scarecrow. I was still trying to recover from my disastrous crab-in-bucket painting on the WDE so this fellow isn't as good as he could be.

9x12 oil pastels on Fabriano pastel paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/96240-IMGP1956-1.JPG

He's not easy to photograph :(

Cheers,

LJW
10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
EP, wonderful colours in your scarecrow and straw. He looks quite contented sitting there, looking over his garden produce.

Yes, Spencerville is south of Ottawa in farming territory. Many of the original settlers in the area were United Empire Loyalists. We live 10 mins. drive to the west of the town. Jane

ElleZee
10-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, I finally got a pastel strokes done before the end of the month! :lol: Wait, a minute...we are still in October, right?.....ok, had to check my calendar :lol:

Jane, WOW you are really producing some wonderful pieces! Love the first still life, the scarecrow is adorable, and the pumpkin has a beautiful leathery texture to it. Also, I received my colourfix paper this week from Wallack's and my op fixative from Loomis....thank you so much for the tips.:thumbsup: Now I just have to get up enough nerve to try the paper, it's seems to good to use for just any old thing.

Gill, great work on tackling the entire reference! I thought of trying the entire thing.....breifly. Great job!

EP, your scarecrow ROCKS! Lovin those colours!!! As usual, your work is always so lively, even if it's a still life!

Here is my October contribution...hope you don't mind, Jane...it is a crop from the larger version of your scarecrow. I may try the scarecrow himself, but for now this is what I've done.

First Pick, OSWOA 4"x6" Oil Pastels on black stonehenge paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/67205-pumpkinbale.jpg

Pat Isaac
10-08-2007, 07:23 PM
ep, I have to agree that your crow looks very contented and relaxed. Great color.
Lovely painting, Lori. Nice modeling on the pumpkin and I like the texture of your straw.

Pat

LJW
10-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Lori, great looking pumpkin and straw bale. I found the straw hard to do. The deep blue background really sets it off. Cropping is one way of being creative with the images, so I'm happy you did. Glad to hear your art supplies arrived from Ottawa - have fun with them. Jane

Colorix
10-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi, great painting so far. Especially love the scarecrows, as I deemed it too difficult to even try.

First time I participate in the Monthly, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules. I've literally changed the harvest picture "in any way". Wasn't too thrilled by the lightning of the otherwise abundantly rich photo of the harvest fruits. So I took some homegrown tomatoes and a likewise home-grown pumpkin as a still life set up. It is more a study than a painting, and I tried velour for the first time... I got the values a bit wrong, should have started pumpkin in green. And then the lettuce leaf wilted... Ah, the joys of painting from life. :D Here's the colourful me.

Here goes:

Soft pastels on grayish velour.
Size: 12x17 cm, ca 5"x7"
Time: about 2 hours

C & C most welcome.

Charlie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2007/117343-October_chall_m_isize.jpg

LJW
10-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Charlie, great way to use the photo as inspiration for a still life setup! Good strong colours and a great sense of light and shadow. I'm guessing the velour paper has given that soft overall appearance. Nicely done. Jane

eyepaint
10-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Jane - thanks
Lori - thanks - he looks a bit wonky but he was pretty fun to do. Yours has a great composition, and good job with the details on the hay bale.
Pat - thank you
Charlie - your has such lively warm colours :)

*Deirdre*
10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I've had a go at this, hope you don't mind! Can't remember how long it is since I last tried..now I must feed the pets...back later to comment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2007/33616-octstrokes.jpg
oops! Soft pastels on D-R Murano...12x9...doesn't take much pastel!:(

LJW
10-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Deirdre, this is fantastic! You have rendered all the different vegetables so well. I love the crop you chose - it captures the fall harvest in a wonderful complementary colour scheme. Excellent work. Jane

*Deirdre*
10-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Thank you Jane, you're very kind!:wink2:

Your own work is excellent...small tight crop, very effective use of colour, technique is excellent!:thumbsup:
Your second is equally proficient and brought a smile to my face!:D

Gill...this is also great fun...lovely to see so many different vegetables in one picture! Nicely done!:thumbsup:

Back to Jane...and a very cheery pumpkin - well deserving of a prize!:thumbsup:

EP...good to see another interpretation of our friend the scarecrow! Well done!:thumbsup:

Lori...I love the way you've rendered that bale of hay! :clap: So good! Oh...and so is the pumpkin! :thumbsup:

Charlie...your colourways and sense of drama in your crop make for a melodic painting (i can imagine music set to it!:wink2: )...well done!:thumbsup:

Colorix
10-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Deirdre, wow, goodness gracious, so many veggies. Wonderfully luxurious, and so lifelike I first thought it was another crop-photo of the photo. Love how most of it is lushly red and green, plus whiteish, with only the 'taters' as a neutral bringing forward the colours. I'm impressed -- you managed to scare up some glowing shadows too!

Charlie

Colorix
10-13-2007, 10:20 AM
EP, Jane, thank you.

Deirdre, melodic painting, eh? :music: I think that is the coolest comment I ever got. Hm, I do sing in a choir.

Lori, that bale of hay is great. Well, pumkin too, but hay is so difficult!

EP, that scarecrow is so wonderfully colourful, and happy!

Jane, I don't think I commented your green pepper painting, the first to be posted. Wonderful crop, and soooo believable veggies. And the scarecrow, it is so 3D, I expect him to jump out of the monitor. Tje solo pumpkin is best in show.

Gill, such a happy cornucopia of veggies!

You guys are good!

Charlie

ANGHWAR
10-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Jane

Thank you for hosting this month, Your peppers and onions are so delicious, absolutely great crow scare :D and you take the first prize with that punkin.

Gill good going.

EP as usual very colorful he is cute.

Lori GREAT punkin and straw.

Charlie cool colors love that tinge.

Dierdre Goodness grascious you made me hungry all I can say is WOW!

I din't think I would get to this months challenge but I opted to combine this with the fast and loose challenge

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446096&page=4

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2007/109760-carrot.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2007/109760-Blue_vase.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2007/109760-Pepper.jpg
Right bottom is camera strap shadow :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2007/109760-pumpkin.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2007/109760-three_halves.jpg
Hmm seems I cracked the paper :o

Anghwar

LJW
10-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Anghwar, you sure have been busy. Great "fast and loose" paintings. I think my favourite is the green pepper and onions, but I also love the flowers with the blue and yellow colour scheme, and your pumpkin wins a first prize too. The carrots are well done, but would show up better on a complementary background. Sorry your paper cracked, but is looks like beams of sunshine crossing the vegs. So glad you had the time to join in. Jane

ANGHWAR
10-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Jane

Thank you so much for the compliments, but who can hold a candle with your pepper and onions. You just reminded me about that bg for the carrots - I wanted to go over the burnt orange with green after but forgot no wonder it only took me 16 mins.:lol:

And now for the funniest story, I thought of doing the scarecrow but just never really got turned on by him, then I ran out of ideas for the fast and loose and decided to do him anyway (now what if it is a girl?) I drew his pants and it became the vase for the flowers :lol: :lol: .

BTW I hope to see some of your bits and pieces on the fast and loose since you are a master at the oilies. (why do you think I left the thread :D )

Anghwar

eyepaint
10-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Dierdre - thank you - Wow - look at that harvest bounty! What ever will you cook from all those veggies!! Love the shine on the tomatoes and the green pepper, and good job on the garlic heads (I've tried to sketch garlic and it didn't work out)

Charlie - thank you

Anghwar - thank you. You've been busy! My favourite is a tie between the green pepper collection and the pumpkin portrait. I too thought your last painting had sunbeams across the page :)

ANGHWAR
10-15-2007, 02:50 AM
Thank you EP now I will have to pain something with sunbeams across *smile*

reveur
10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
it s not a easy subject.i try but it s not good.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2007/117159-nature_morte2.JPG

LJW
10-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow, reveur, you have done really well to include the whole scene. I love your colours and you have captured the variety of vegetables very well - a truly bountiful harvest. What size is your painting and did you use oil or soft pastels? Jane

reveur
10-15-2007, 02:38 PM
thanks jane ..i make that with soft pastel...24*32cm .

Tracer
10-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I finally got a chance to sit down for a few minutes and paint some. These 2 were done on Canson 9x12 with carb othello pastel pencils and nupastels. These were fun to do because I just did them quick without really thinking about it and it was something different than what I have been doing. They took me about 15 minutes each.

Tracer

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2007/114641-DSC00839.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2007/114641-DSC00844.JPG

LJW
10-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Tracer, great job on both and very fast! Love your loose impression of straw, which I found difficult to do. And the veggies have a lovely warm glow to them. Glad you had fun. Jane

ANGHWAR
10-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Reveur

Nicely done.

Tracer great job and as Jane said SO FAST.

sendaglue
10-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi everybody!

I just recently joined WetCanvas, and my mom is in the process of joining. We painted together today, and I am posting the images of our paintings here, if I figure it all out. We had a wonderful time painting together. Both of us used Wallis paper, and softies to paint, a combination of Rembrandt, Sennies and Great American. We both underpainted in watercolor first, Mom in the same colors she was going to paint the picture with, and I used the complimentary colors. We did take some creative liberty with the veggies, and we spent about two hours all together. It was a wonderful learning experience, we enjoyed it tremendously. And what a good way to get us to paint something! Mom and I are getting ready to take a Richard McKinley course in Dallas next month, we are getting so excited. We hope to use this exercise every month to paint either together or at least the same picture, something we have done for a long time, just to have fun.

The first one is my mom's, and the lower one is mine.

Any critiques are welcome!

Suzy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2007/117479-IMG_0091.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2007/117479-IMG_0092.JPG

LJW
10-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Suzy, welcome to Wet Canvas. What a fun get-together for you and your Mom. Both paintings are wonderful. I love your Mom's blue background, which sets off the washtub nicely, and the way the veggies spill across the page creates a lively composition. In yours, the veggies have more vivid colour, which focuses my attention on them more directly, particularly your gleaming pumpkin. Enjoy your workshop with Richard McKinley. For more practice, in addition to the monthly Pastel Strokes, you could try the Weekend Drawing Event in the All Media Art Events forum. Each Friday, 16 photos are put up, and once you choose what to paint, you attempt to complete your painting in 2 hours. It's great fun. Jane

ANGHWAR
10-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Welcome Suzy and Mom, oh you are going to get together a lot, Wet Canvas is addictive.

I love the colors in mom's pumpkin gives it great shape whereas yours are just pure yummy.

Anghwar

Tracer
10-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks Jane and Anghwar! And Anghwar, your work is pretty fast and loose too. Love how you took a little bit of each.

Suzy & Mom, welcome to WC pastels. How great that you paint together! My daughter is 8 and sometimes we sit down and have a go at it when time permits. Your paintings are really nice and colorful. Have fun at your workshop.

Tracy

ANGHWAR
10-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Thank you for your comments Tracer

pequan
10-17-2007, 11:16 AM
wow so many fantastic paintings...
alija, reallynice job
LJW, fantastic blue ribbon painting as well as your other 2 that I previously commented on!
eyepaint, love your colorful scarecrow
lori, great rendition! could be a photo
charlie, amazing colors. I really like them, wish I could do that
deirdre, wonderful painting, feel like I am a veggie stand
anghwar, wow, weren't you ambitious--great job on all of them
reveur, nice "stuff" pouring out of that barrel
tracer, love the scarecrow and the pumpkin, super job on cansun!
suzy, you and mom did good jobs, similiar paintings, can tell you are related..
will probably finish mine today and post it later, thanks again LJW for doing this months project

sendaglue
10-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Thank you Anghwar, Jane, Tracy and Linda for your wonderful comments! Mom is busy working on a painting, and I'm going to continue the work on the 10 fast paintings that Deborah Secor suggested, have three done so far. Tomorrow I have to go back to work, and won't get to paint again until we're up in Dallas, darn! Oh, well, such is the life of a working person.

Suzy

Colorix
10-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi, oh, lots have happened here when I wasn't looking.

Anghwar, cool fast and loose, I fell for the green pepper, it is really good.

Reveur, your picture looks very happily playful, has a very attractive feeling to it.

Tracer, love the happy scarecrow, and your warm colours. Straw's fab.

Suzy, great to share a talent and experience with Mom! Love your colours and a certain 'solidity' (that's positive, but I can't find a better word just now), and Mom's pumpkin is especially wonderfully full.

And thanks to you who commented on mine, I love colour, so I sometimes play it up.

Charlie

ANGHWAR
10-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Thank you Charlie, I didn't sketch out anything so the pepper is a little tall and maybe slightly handsome, must be why you fell for him :lol: :lol:

pequan
10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
ok, here is my version, first one color enhanced on computer and the second is straight from the camera. done on sanded paper P 600 with a variety of soft pastels. lots of fun, but wish I had time to do the scarecrow since he/she is just adorable!

ANGHWAR
10-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Linda the contrast is great with color enhancement, beautiful setup.

LJW
10-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Great crop, Linda. I really like your treatment of the wash tub as shown directly from the camera, and the vegetable colours seem very natural. The computer-enhanced version has more zing due to the greater contrast. Excellent painting. Jane

artastic
10-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Jane: thanks for hosting and the great photos and crops: your pepper is amazing, and the scarecrow is wonderful, the pumpkin is so nice and bright

Gill: what ambition!, I could only face a few of all that bounty

EP: wonderful colors on the scarecrow

Lori: the pumpkin is great, just love the work on the straw

Charlie: love the soft blending of colors and light

Dierdrie: Wow what an impressive display

Anghwar: great loose collection of vegies

reveur: what a great attempt at such a difficult subject

tracer: great scarecrow, he is so comical isn't he? nice vegie crop too, lots happening there

Suzy , welcome to WC, wonderful that you and your mom can share the love of painting, nice job on the harvest bounty for you both

Linda : wow great contrasts and colors

so here is my attempt: (watercolorist still playing with pastels)
I used derwent pencils on mat board (remnant ovals) 3"x4"http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/104250-october_strokes.jpg

LJW
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Bonnie, great job on both. The scarecrow's straw hat is really well done and sets off his face perfectly. In the oval surround, he looks like a portrait from the 1800's. The oval format really works well with the crop of the veggies you chose too, and makes me think of an embroidery or tapestry framed that way. The oval shape and it's effect on the images fits well with the long history of the Spencerville Fair. Very clever. Jane

ANGHWAR
10-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Bonnie what a great idea framing your paintings in oval, they are both delightful.

pequan
10-18-2007, 09:38 PM
great job Bonnie, love your colors and the way you cut the mat board....

RooGal
10-23-2007, 05:49 PM
:clap: Wow! some terrific pieces submitted. I have to salute everyone that has captured the entire cornucopia. Very ambitious. I also see a lot of great crops (no pun intended :lol: ) Mine is a crop as well.

I have had to put my pastels away for the last few weeks, but I couldn't help myself and so grabbed what few pastel pencils I have and decided to have a go. not happy with that edge on the onion/tomato now that i notice it, so will fix that.

One the "wired" side of Canson - approx. 8 X 3 1/4 inches. As usual, not the best photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2007/103156-Apr_09_2005_veg_003_edited-1.jpg

Cheers,

LJW
10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Pam, thanks for joining in with your pastel pencils. Yours is almost an abstract with that tight crop. I like the onion front and center, with the pepper and tomato adding a colourful backdrop. Good work. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-24-2007, 06:52 AM
I haven't been in here for a few weeks and found all these wonderful paintings and interpretations....just great everyone.

Pat

RooGal
10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks Jane. I was happy I could participate, this month. Life has been a wee bit too stressful of late and I found this to be good therapy.

LJW
10-28-2007, 03:18 PM
PLEASE NOTE: This is the last joint monthly challenge. As of Nov. 1, the Pastel Strokes challenge will be for SOFT pastellists only. Our new separate Oil Pastel forum will be starting our own Monthly Challenge. It's been fun and I would like to thank everyone who participated this month. Hope to see all Oil Pastellists in our new Monthly Challenge, and I wish all softies the best for the future. Jane

Shirl Parker
10-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Well, I made it. I hope there is still someone coming in to look at the pictures. It's kind of a twofer :lol: It's about 8x10 on AS Colorfix grey background with some nice little pastels from the Oil Pastel Workstation by Jane Hughes and finished off with Sennelier. Oh, and I started it off with a few Holbeins I picked up last month in Dallas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2007/113427-PumpkinPieSlice.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Shirl

eyepaint
10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Shirl - a before and after painting, lol!! I like the shine on the veggies.

LJW
10-29-2007, 05:48 PM
What a creative idea. Love your colourful vegetables and what a delicious looking (high calorie with all that whipped cream) pie. How do you like the Holbeins? PS: The thread is still open to all until the end of the month. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-29-2007, 05:54 PM
oooh, I do like your take on the pumpkin pie....yum. Nice job.

Pat

RooGal
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Very nice Shirl! Now I'm hungry for pie.

reisa
10-30-2007, 01:57 AM
I want pie now too! Great piece Shirl! I thought I might be the last one to sneak in at the end of the month! :) There have been a lot of great pieces of work, I have been lurking all month and looking at everyones work while I worked on mine (it has taken for ever), so sorry I haven't commented on each and every contribution, but there has been some fabulous and creative takes on these photos!. Here is mine. A close up of the sunflowers.
Sennelier op's on wallis paper. 8 x 10. C&c welcome.

LJW
10-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Reisa, wonderful job on this - I love the crop! Your sunflowers are beautiful and the tall leaves behind them are so well shaded and three-dimensional. Thanks for contributing. Hope to see you in our Nov. OP monthly challenge. Jane

reisa
10-31-2007, 02:10 AM
Thanks Jane! I am looking forward to the November op challenge! Great to see op's have their own forum now too!
Reisa

pequan
10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
pass that fabulous looking pie my way, great paintings
reisa: I really like your flower crop....perfect daisies