GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Artist's Bed
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Just looking for some critique, very new to oil painting. Been painting for about 6 months now and it's giving me troubles here and there but some of my results I'm pleased with. Would love to hear what others think. <br><br>I'm hard skinned so anything goes, but I do know that the perspective here is rather odd, but I thought it adds to the expressionist moody feel I was kind of going for. <br><br>Anyway, thanks for looking.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Just curious about my technique really and other general input. Sorry, new to the forum, not sure what to put here.

floopy
09-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Welcome to this forum! It is hard to believe that you have only been painting this way for such a short period of time.
I love interiors. This is a really nice piece. Really... the colors are beautiful, and the texture of the bed is nice. Great job with the hanging (robe?) on the left. And the comp is fab.
A few things...
The bed seems tilted. (Maybe that is jusy how it is?)
The floor is too dark (black)
And the window could use some more definition. Maybe it could have a darker exterior, as I see the room as at night.
You can take these or leave them, as you see fit
Overall, I feel as if I am standing right there, in the room.
This is a lovely work.
M

Branko
09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I fully agree with you about the floor, I honestly had no idea what to do so I copped out painted it really really dark green. However, what do you mean the window needs more definition? The window itself or the outside view? I found the window rather hard to do and didn't really know how to go about it.

Slurps
10-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Branko, I think she meant to tighten up the lines on the window frame. It's close enough to the viewer that the lines should be less ragged.

A couple other things:
The blue of the bed is startling, in a very neat way. However, the wrinkles in the sheet and pillow are too sharply delineated, the highlights don't ring true, and I almost get the feeling that there are snakes trying to escape from under there!
The towel/robe/whatever it is hanging from the wall is well painted, with the folds of the material very convincing. However, because it hangs so far down, there's a perspective problem, and it appears to be hanging outward, almost to the middle of the bed (that's a result of the tipped bed appearance that Floopy mentioned, I believe, with the far side of the bed seeming to climb the wall).
Also, the wrinkles on the near side of the bed should be in shadow, so you should tone down the highlights or eliminate them.
Suggestion: take a towel or a shirt, lay it over a couple small objects, light it from different low angles, and practice drawing the shadows to define the object. Don't draw the object. Allow the different values to do that. You'll be surprised how you'll see stuff to work on in your picture after that.

Good start. Post again with other works as you finish them or while in progress. Looking forward to seeing more!

Branko
10-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks a lot slurp! I agree they do look like baby snakes, and I don't know how to make the wrinkles convincing so i tried to stylize them into absurdity with the heavy highlights and shadows. However, I did forget to tone down the highlights in shadow, very good call. I'll take your advice and practice I do want to get some nice folds in haha.

And about the perspective, you're 100% right, its totally messed up. Exactly like you said, the robe hangs to the middle of the bed, which makes no sense, but I it doesn't bother me too much personally.

ejtupi
10-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Branko, I saw your picture right after I looked at a remarkable painting by Artemisia Gentileshci. I don't know if it's okay to post a link on this forum, but I'll take the risk. Go here and look at how a true master paints a bed. It might be a picture you can take something from to use in your work. Anyone seeing this picture should feel humbled, in my opinion. It's nothing short of greatness.
http://www.artemisia-gentileschi.com/judith4.html

ejtupi
10-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Branko, sorry if that came out a little wrong. I wasn't making a negative comment on your picture, just following up on the previous comments. When I saw the painting by Gentileschi, I thought it might inspire you a little. It does inspire me. She's maybe one of the most incredible painters ever, with a touch for chiaroscuro that is top tier. She is a true master (non-gender specific term), and deserves to be seen and studied.

Someone once said, "Let your aspirations always exceed your grasp." For an artist, those are words to live by. So, maybe she isn't the one who will inspire you, maybe your aspirations will be fueled by something or someone else, but no artist develops in a vacuum, and if you want to see what you can aspire to, look to those who've gone before you. You can set reasonable and humble goals for yourself, and that's fine, but you should always allow your mind to take flight. Her paintings are an example of what can result when someone shakes off the limitations of conventional thought. Who knows? Maybe some day you'll find that in yourself as well. No matter what, I hope that your own painting grows and develops and becomes a source of personal satisfaction.

Accept my apology if I spoke unclearly in the prior post. I might offer a critique to someone, but it will be awful if anyone thinks there's a personal affront in it.

Branko
10-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Branko, sorry if that came out a little wrong. I wasn't making a negative comment on your picture, just following up on the previous comments. When I saw the painting by Gentileschi, I thought it might inspire you a little. It does inspire me. She's maybe one of the most incredible painters ever, with a touch for chiaroscuro that is top tier. She is a true master (non-gender specific term), and deserves to be seen and studied.

Someone once said, "Let your aspirations always exceed your grasp." For an artist, those are words to live by. So, maybe she isn't the one who will inspire you, maybe your aspirations will be fueled by something or someone else, but no artist develops in a vacuum, and if you want to see what you can aspire to, look to those who've gone before you. You can set reasonable and humble goals for yourself, and that's fine, but you should always allow your mind to take flight. Her paintings are an example of what can result when someone shakes off the limitations of conventional thought. Who knows? Maybe some day you'll find that in yourself as well. No matter what, I hope that your own painting grows and develops and becomes a source of personal satisfaction.

Accept my apology if I spoke unclearly in the prior post. I might offer a critique to someone, but it will be awful if anyone thinks there's a personal affront in it.No worries, I didn't take it the wrong way. However, I was never really going for a hyper realism look that some of these masters can achieve. I know I can't touch that, so I try to create moods and feelings with other methods. Exagerating colours, perspectives and other such things. I would love to be able to paint a bed like she did, but no way that's happening any time soon.

kathrynlovespets
10-01-2007, 11:45 PM
i know how you feel branko

their paintings...beautiful...but no way im spending that much time on a painting!

Corby
10-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Egad! and Odd bodkins! That is one bed to be avoided...in those circumstances at least. Branko I had commented on this painting of yours some time ago and then the comment disappeared into the cybervoid and I was too lazy at the moment to rewrite. Putting the technicalities aside and just looking at the story, I find I really like the painting. I am reminded of Van Gogh's painting of his bedroom at Arles. The Yellow Room. Because the two techniques are so different one might not think there is a connection, but to me there is. Both reveal a sense of place that belongs to another person. I am always fascinated by the revelation of how others live. The paintings though quite different , have the same charm. I just put the snakey sheet down to being one of those "T" shirt material things that I hate so. Thats what they look like on a bed.