PDA

View Full Version : Three Pears

bairam
09-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Took my inspiration from this photo by gnu, in the RIL.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2007/2194-7242IMG_0699_3_pears.jpg

I changed it a bit and added a old wood fence as the background. How does it work? Should I put a glaze over it to push it further back? If so what color glaze should I use?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2007/2194-three_pares_copy.jpg

The next thing I need to do is work on what the pears are sitting on. I was thinking of doing a table cloth. Any suggestions?

hidy
09-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Maria, it is not the fence that needs glazing so much as your pears. This is off to a very good start but by working the pears up, they will become so rich & plump that they will be the focus rather than the fence - which is not.

In addition, the shaddow needs strengthening up just as they come to the base of the pear....so not the entire shaddow, just under the fruit. My suggestion for this would be indigo into the colours you are already working with.

When you are talking about selecting colour/s for glazing, you are not talking about using just one colour of course, you are talking about using a range of colours & a range of combinations & strengths of each - just as you have in your initial wash. Start with the palette that you are already using & continue using a mixture of the colours you are already working with. Avoid using too many dark colours, go for richness rather than a lot of darkness.... if that makes sense?

For your very darkest areas you could perhaps add a little indigo there as well. This will in turn tie in with the shaddow colours, bring a sense of continuity & belonging to the overall image. The stems are also getting a little lost & could do with some separation from the bg. I did a brief demo about glazing in my Lotus WIP a little while ago, you might like to take a look at this sometime? The link is
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434742&highlight=Hidy

Best of luck with it!

painterbear
10-01-2007, 06:02 AM
Maria,

You are off to a very nice start. Great advice from Heidi about strengthening your pears and the shadows.

I think your fence looks very good the way you've painted it.

I like the pavement look you have under the pears at this time rather than a tablecloth. With the fence in the background, a tablecloth doesn't seem to fit.

Looking forward to seeing your next steps here.

Sylvia

bairam
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Thank you Heidi for your most constructive critique. I do think I need to pump up the colors on my pears also. Will work on that today.

I enjoyed your demo on glazing and also your web page. You are doing some beautiful work.

Thank you Sylvia for taking the time to comment. I may just do that and leave the bottom as it is, or perhaps add a little more color.

olliewood0702
10-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Great advice from Heidi and this is lovely so far Maria! Please post your update. I LOVE that color of pears.

Laura D
10-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Marcia, this is a lovely start. I agree with the advice you have gotten so far.

One thing about the base the pears are resting on, the shadows look like they are falling on an uneven surface... little bulges/ripples/buckling. You might want to exagerate an uneven surface later in the painting. Only if it remains visually distracting after your other work.

bairam
10-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Well it seems the uploader isn't working today so I won't be able to show you the finish of my pears.

I'm not happy with it and won't work on it any further. I like the pears and will try them again, but will have to plan a better background/foreground next time. My fault was not planning ahead for the total effect. Such lovely subjects but the background sucked....:)

Thank you so much for all the encouraging comments and help.

Heidi, you have all my respect for the capable artist that you are. I really enjoyed watching your WIP. Do you have others?

If the uploader starts working again in a few days, I'll post the finish.

Thanks again.

hidy
10-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Hi Maria,

i am sad that you are not happy with the end product, but i think that this is very common & not always a bad thing. It is rare that i am happy with my own work either, so dont worry too much. There is a little bit of every painting we ever did, good & bad, in every new painting we create so just remember to take what you can from past works & throw it into the new. This is how we get better at it of course & a very important attitude to embrace. You are on the right track when you can identify why you dont like it as you have.

As far as other WIP's here .... i have done a few - Jenny Wrens & Lillypilly, Raspberries, Waterlilies & the Lotus painting from memory. They are there somewhere, mostly in wc & wildlife forums, but as soon as i get through the load on my plate at the minute ill try to find time to do another for you if you like. Right now it is school holidays, our home is up for auction in about 2 weeks, we have to find a new home as well - & we are going OS in a months time! Agggg, i just wanna paint! Ill do my best to bring you another sometime amongst it all :)

bairam
10-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks Heidi for the reassurance. This of course is not the first painting that I didn't like. It happens from time to time. Most of them I'm satisfied with or maybe there's just a small thing that I don't like. It seems that no one else sees these flaws and I guess its just one of those things that we artist do. I think we are our own worst critiques.

You are way too busy woman. But I must say enjoy the chaos while you have it. One day you'll have lots of time to do your art and you'll miss those times when the kids were around. I know, I've been there.

The uploader seems to be working today so here's my piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2007/2194-pears.3_copy.jpg

I may just put this away for a while and take it out later and see what I can do with it. I'm thinking that if I do something with the foreground it just might come together. Just have to decide what that something is.:rolleyes:

In doing this I really liked working on the old wood of the fence. I could take it even further and make it look more like the weathered wood that it is, but for this piece I didn't want to fence to come forward and compete with the pears, so I left it at this stage. I'll save that for another painting where the wood is important.

I will check out your other WIP that you mentioned. I know I will enjoy them.

Laura you mentioned about the forground looking like an uneven surface. It sure does and a lot of this is that I had a lot of problems with the paper. I use a lot of water when I paint and even though it's Arches 140#CP, it still buckles. I need to do something about that before I put it away. I'm thinking of ironing it or wetting the back and putting weight on it and let it dry. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Heidi and all.

hidy
10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Oh Maria, this aint so bad at all! It is a sweet little painting that just needs to go into the magic cupboard for a couple of weeks. There is just one thing about glazing here though, when you are building up your layers, be careful to work away from the edges so that you dont end up with a dark line around your subject & not a lot of other strength in the middle. Paint just in from the edges, then soften the colour out to the sides so that you get less of an outline & more strength & form in the subject.

I have thrown some extra oomph into the pears for you just quickly, but i completely buggered up the shaddow & cant go back far enough to change it now.... & now the images wont upload for me either! Ill try again later?

I just wanted to give you an idea of the difference it makes to have a little extra strength both in the pears & in the shaddows.... You need to have light, medium & darks for it to really sing, & this painting could perhaps use a little more of a range.

Truthfully you could go a lot further with your glazing here, but it can easily become overworked of course, so stop when you are happy is my advice here! It is a very sweet painting as it is :)

bairam
10-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Here is how I resolved my delima with the foreground. Also added some more color to the pears and did a closer crop, which I like better.

Finished size is more like 11 x 16.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/2194-three.pears.fin_copy.jpg

Thanks for the help and encouragement. I will now put it in the Gallery.

hidy
10-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Now, getting back to this again.... these are the images that i worked on but i was unable to upload for you earlier. My apologies for the delay, we have been crazy busy with my Father in Law on life support at the minute, our house is being auctioned today & we have just found a horrible lump in my sons leg that is worrying us terribly. He goes in for urgent tests on Monday & Tuesday, so i am keeping busy just waiting for Monday. I hope these images help? Best of luck

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2007/36128-pears.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2007/36128-2194-pears.3_copy.jpg

It just gives you an idea of the difference it makes to pump up the volume a little.

alija1001
10-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Looking good.